Phantis Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Reaper

Top League Scorer

The top five goal scorers are Greek! When was the last time that happened?

By-product of the economic crisis maybe?

Edited by Tzatziki

Greeks still leading the charge, how refreshing:

NsyNgJg.png?1

Fortounis should probably be starting every game for the ethiniki. Break out season for him. For a CAM he's highly consistent.

I thought new rules allow players to switch if they haven't played many games for country X, but can only switch once. 

I believe the rule is if u have been capped in an official game (qualifier, or tournment proper) then you can't swap nations. Giannou played in the friendly he can still jump ship. 
There are exceptions (see thiago motta) he played a few games for Brazil's NT and then changed to Italy, I think its something about if you have played under a certain amount of games and are under 23 you can do it. But dont quote me on that im not 100% sure on that rule

Interesting. If I was him I would def give Aus a go. More exposure and in the Greek NT he will be up against reputation players like Athanasiadis.

He has more chances to play with greece in a big tournament, with our about 10 years lasting goal scoring problem than with Australia. They ll probably scout other people. However Australia have free pass to each World Cup. Its really a touch choise , I wont blame the guy.

there are no free passes....If Australia gets a tricky draw in next phase of qualifying ...they may not get thru.....essentially that is HIS last chance to play in a WC ......

Bakasetas - a player I have hyped for years, scored a hattrick today. He is now the joint forth top scorer in the league and level on goals with Vargas and one behind Vellios. Bakasetas is two years younger than Vellios and has Europa Cup experience that Vellios doesn't. Bakasetas also has 6 assists in the league. The only Greek player with more is Fortounis who has 8! Vellios has 3!

Lets see what Skibbe does.  Let's see if Skibbe is running a meritocracy or a kakistocracy and Athanasiadis gets another call up.

Bakasetas's second and third goals were absolutely outstanding. He also gave golden assists, Panionios players did not finish. He also made their keeper work non-stop. Absolutely sensational game. A couple of levels above every single player on the pitch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OS9Tcl4XhMw

Athanasiadis, who is currently on a brace and is killing it right now

• Like it 1

Athanasiadis, who has done nothing all year to warrant a call up and has never done anything useful in an ethniki jersey. Come on man, there's no way Klaus deserves the call up more than Bakasetas.

• Like it 1

It's his assists that impress me, Fortounis is the only Greek who has more. Bakasetas just represents goals.

WOW, if he keeps that up consistently he will be a star. Love the Ronaldo style free kicks, the keeper really got caught out with how the first one swung down. 2nd goal is a screamer, 3rd goal is brilliant. How old is he?

Fortounis is our best attacking midfielder from 2015 onward.

The fact that he only played 2 full matches during our euro 2016 qualifiers was a MAJOR reason we didn't get more points.

He played the full match against hungary, which was our only win the whole campaign.

Bakasetas is quality rated him for a while now good to see him showing his potential, surely a big team (hopefully AEK) will go for him in the off season and since he signed only for 2 season (signed in Jan 2015 from memory) Panionios would hope they don't lose him on a free

Bakasetas with another 2 goals - has scored more than Berg, Athanasiadis, Ideye, etc  and is only 22 years old - still  can't buy an NT call-up ahead of players like Papazoglou.. Skibbe..Tsanas.. what do you dislike about him?

So the final standings and a quick reason to doubt the mental skills of Skibbe and Tsanas:

1/ Fortounis (23 years old): 18 Goals, 12 Assists. MVP. Capped by NT.

2/ Berg (29 years old): 15 Goals, 3 Assists. Capped by NT.

3/ Giannou (26 years old): 13 Goals, 0 Assists. Capped by NT.

4/ Bakasetas (22 years old): 11 Goals, 6 Assists. Not Capped by NT.

5/ Vellios (24 years old): 11 Goals, 3 Assists. Capped by NT.