Phantis Forums

NT Friendly Games

Blackhawk

yeah we do well vs african and can be competitive with bigger european teams. 

International games are so few and far between to be super confident about these patterns though. Struggling against asian teams? If I recall correctly we only lost to South Korea 2-0 and drew Japan 0-0 playing on a red card past 10 years.

Africa we beat Egypt, Ivory Coast, Nigeria. 

South America we lost to Argentina, Colombia but beat Bolivia.

On 6/27/2018 at 2:16 AM, georgelaz said:

I thought the same thing. World Cup expansion will suit European teams more than others perhaps. 

Greece, Netherlands, Turkey, italy. 4 teams right there that could compete for a round of 16 spot.

Meanwhile teams like Australia, Panama,  Costa Rica and Iran are in the world cup regularly because easier confederation.

CONCACAF should not get any more spots than they have. Having teams like Panama in or Canada who are as bad as they are if not worse is painful to watch.

19 hours ago, georgelaz said:

yeah we do well vs african and can be competitive with bigger european teams. 

International games are so few and far between to be super confident about these patterns though. Struggling against asian teams? If I recall correctly we only lost to South Korea 2-0 and drew Japan 0-0 playing on a red card past 10 years.

Africa we beat Egypt, Ivory Coast, Nigeria. 

South America we lost to Argentina, Colombia but beat Bolivia.

You forgot the 2 2 tie against North Korea. And the 2 0 loss to South Korea in a friendly also. 

On ‎6‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 8:55 AM, trotsk13 said:

The way Belgium/Croatia have looked underscores how tough Greece's path to the WC really was. And how much improved the team is from Euro qualifying

I thought the same thing... After seeing Croatia maybe we weren't actually that bad as they look pretty fierce... We knew Belgium is world class... I still think we made huge mistakes with our line up in game 1 vs Croatia that cost us big time but I don't Think we could have beat them regardless after what I've seen with them.. We were also the only team to get a point against Belgium and were about 10 minutes away from winning even with a man down.. I also agree if we were in a couple of the other groups we probable would have advanced... We still have major issues we need to fix especially in our midfield but after seeing Belgium and Croatia I don't feel as bad as I did back when we lost in the playoffs..

9 hours ago, J1078 said:

I thought the same thing... After seeing Croatia maybe we weren't actually that bad as they look pretty fierce... We knew Belgium is world class... I still think we made huge mistakes with our line up in game 1 vs Croatia that cost us big time but I don't Think we could have beat them regardless after what I've seen with them.. We were also the only team to get a point against Belgium and were about 10 minutes away from winning even with a man down.. I also agree if we were in a couple of the other groups we probable would have advanced... We still have major issues we need to fix especially in our midfield but after seeing Belgium and Croatia I don't feel as bad as I did back when we lost in the playoffs..

Missing Manolas ultimately costed us, the team looked so uncharacteristically nervous in that game. Three goals were just gifted to the Croats and that was it. I think Greece could have got by Croatia if he was in the lineup. Belgium is one of the top countries in the world of football and we gave them a hard time coming minutes within winning in Belgium were they are near impossible to beat. 

I agree about Manolas. With him in the first game against Croatia we could of drew I believe. Tzavellas and Maniatis were horrible and Tziolis and Samaris were lost in the midfield. With one or two changes we could of drew. Bakasetas is useless with the national team and I don't know why. Hopefully with the nation's league we see some players from the u21s coming up and claiming a spot in the 11. We can't see Bakasetas starting along with Tziolis and Tzavellas all the time. 

If you noticed anything from this world cup Defence alone isn't enough as even great defensive teams are allowing more goals than usual. Greece need to obviously keep within in their strengths and focus on their D but need to push the ball and start getting  more creative offensively and start getting more shots towards target and not this 1-3 shots on target for the entire game.. This will change I believe only when we find a solid midfielder that can control the field.. 

• Like it 1

absolutely ^^^^ 

He has always been a poor right back, it's why olympiakos had to convert him into a DM. To his credit he was/is hard working and forged a pretty solid career for himself given his limited talent. 

But yes in such as a game having a sub par right back cost us dearly. Not to mention playing our best defensive mid as a winger (Zeca) Plus the things out of our control, Manolas suspension and Donis being injured cost us dearly. 

Edited by paokarag4

Skibbe was idiotic to start maniatis at right back he was exposed on so many occasions. Tzavellas had his brain fart with the brutal back pass to the goalie which led to the penalty and that had us chasing the game in the first 15 minutes.

The thing is he didn't call up Bakakis to play right back also. Pelkas and Gianniotas we unused subs in the first game where one of them should of started. Our formation was so defensive that we still copped more goals. Zeca and Stafylidis and Zeca playing on the wings. 

I agree @J1078 about how we need a midfielder who can do control the game. Fortounis needs to drop back a bit and not play so high up. Mantalos can play there. 

Edited by Dean97
  • Like it 1

• 2 weeks later...

With Croatia in the FINAL of the World Cup, and a posibility to win it, teams like Greece should aspire to do the same by going all out to qualify and get to round of 16. then see how the script continues. 

No need for worship of teams like Spain, Brazil, Germany and Argentina any longer.  First thing, add fast and skillful midfielders. Skibbe is in some matrix that he has to snap out of.

We need to play with a midfielder that takes charge and creates for us. Like Karagounis or Zagorakis. I thought that Katidis was going to be like that until he F***ed up. Kone looked like he could do that in the world cup. We have no one that can do it now. Maybe Mantalos can. Who knows.

47 minutes ago, PanagiotisScordis said:

Has anyone heard news about any friendly games before the Nations league. I’m going to be in Athens on the end of August and it would be nice to watch the ethniki play.

Greece opens Nation's League play with Estonia on Sept. 8: 

https://www.epo.gr/Competition.aspx?a_id=46171&NewsType=22&Competition=2000000021&Season=2000000148&Country=7&Round=2000000390&Group=1000164592

Edited by trotsk13
  • Like it 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/12/2018 at 11:50 AM, PanagiotisScordis said:

Has anyone heard news about any friendly games before the Nations league. I’m going to be in Athens on the end of August and it would be nice to watch the ethniki play.

Same here. Nothing has been announced yet. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/23/2018 at 2:10 PM, Blackhawk said:

Really doubt there will be any friendlies. As it is Nations League games are supposed to be replacing friendlies anyway.

I would think teams would take NL as seriously as Euro qualifying seeing there are real implications. Whereas friendlies were used mostly to try out players/formations. Am I wrong? 

• 8 months later...

Apparently EPO has arranged a friendly game against Turkey that will be played before the Euro qualifiers in June and will take place in a neutral venue (Germnay?). EPO is also hoping to arrange one or two additional friendlies against strong opponent during the NT preparations for the twu games in June.

• Like it 2