Phantis Forums

Transfer News And Rumors - January 2016

Blackhawk

In case of Berbatov, I would say that PAOK is a "small team" for a player of such caliber. We are not at the level, where we can handle such players. We are a "horio" in comparison to European class teams right now, playing in the only African soccer league in Europe.

In Savvidis's mind he might think that we are a top level European team, and that's why he is talking about bringing in Berbatovs, Ronaldinhos, etc. Instead of building a team from the bottom up, he wasted 3 years on various experiments. I really thought that with Arnesen/Tudor, we might finally be on the right track, but it's evident that we still have a long way to go.

Not sure if it's actual drama, or "We need to sell newspapers" drama, but both sides quickly realized that this isn't going to be a match made in heaven.  Berba doesn't have the Uber talented supporting cast his skill set requires, and we realized he isn't a freaking magician that will magically make us  a Premier League caliber team.

If Berbatov leaves in January, it will just prove that PAOK is really a small club.

+100 likes.  Whether Berbatov leaves or not isn't significant in terms of goals or position on the ladder.  His value to the team was always from a marketing perspective.

My hope for this season was that he would bang in a few goals and teach some of the younger players how to be composed and professional ... the irony.  In addition, I hoped that he would lift morale in general.  It's not every day you get to have someone like Berbatov in your squad.  The ideal scenario was that although PAOK was a step down for him, he would enjoy his football and just have a memorable time.  I didn't expect him to stay longer than the one season, but I hoped he would look back and say he enjoyed his time at PAOK and didn't regret it.  This also could have helped in signing "big" players in the future.

Unfortunately, it's not looking good.  It's a shame.

It is said that we are interested in Dimitris Hatziisaias from Panionios and Slovenean Andras Sporar from Olimpia Ljubljana.

I wonder if we can catch 100 names of wannabee PAOKtzides until the transfer window closes in January.

He is on the bench for the team that is on top in the EPL. All it will is an injury or a player out of form and he's starting, in a team that is living the dream. He'll probably make more money in the EPL in one season than he would at PAOK in three. Why on earth would he come to PAOK ? The media should at least make these stories believable.

• Like it 1