Phantis Forums
Sign in to follow this  
tantra129

Economic Issues--General Topic

Very curious to see the result of this

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/17/world/middleeast/israel-benjamin-netanyahu-syria-concerns-putin-russia.html?_r=0

MIDDLE EAST Israeli Leader to Visit Moscow Over Concerns About Russian Moves in Syria

and it begins

Israel, Russia to coordinate military action on Syria: Netanyahu

http://ca.reuters.com/article/topNews/idCAKCN0RL10K20150921

Yeia sou re Bill

Greece: As ETF Sinks, Tsipras Woos Investors In NYC

http://blogs.barrons.com/emergingmarketsdaily/2015/09/28/greece-as-etf-sinks-tsipras-woos-investors-in-nyc/?mod=yahoobarrons&ru=yahoo

http://www.ekathimerini.com/201969/article/ekathimerini/news/tsipras-vows-to-improve-conditions-for-investment-in-greece-at-clinton-event

?The message to investors is that they are welcome in Greece.?

Tsipras suggested that the agreement for a third bailout with Greece?s eurozone partners would also help attract foreign direct investment as it allays fears of a change in currency.

?This awful discussion about Grexit is over,? Tsipras told Clinton.

U.S. Weaponry Is Turning Syria Into Proxy War With Russia

By ANNE BARNARD and KARAM SHOUMALI

OCT. 12, 2015

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/13/world/middleeast/syria-russia-airstrikes.html

BEIRUT, Lebanon ? Insurgent commanders say that since Russia began air attacks in support of the Syrian government, they are receiving for the first time bountiful supplies of powerful American-made antitank missiles.

With the enhanced insurgent firepower and withRussia steadily raising the number of airstrikes against the government?s opponents, the Syrian conflict is edging closer to an all-out proxy war between the United States and Russia.

The increased levels of support have raised morale on both sides of the conflict, broadening war aims and hardening political positions, making a diplomatic settlement all the more unlikely.

Edited by tantra129

I think Putin into Syria is a smack to the West's face.

You have to hand it to him, he has balls of steel. When all the dust settles, I expect the price of oil to go back up.

I think this whole situation will have long term effects on both the West and Russia. Nobody gets in these scuffles without a mark to bring home.

I truly do not understand how the west armed so many of these factions. I am very ignorant of day to day life in Syria, Tunisia, Algeria, Libya, Egypt or Iraq, but I have a feeling it was better off before these Arab springs 

It was definitely more stable and peaceful.  Dictators don't like uprisings.  It's hard to say what the U.S. is trying to achieve.  If they thought arming these groups would bring about a stable status-quo, then they miscalculated.  A lot of these Muslim groups hate each other in a way most Westerners would find difficult to comprehend.  I don't see this situation ending anytime soon.

no it will not.

i am against people walking around texas carrying a piece, even more against a guy walking into a church in Syria with antitank weaponry.

• Like it 1

The question is, did the U.S. see this coming ?  Did they engineer this deliberately ?  And if so, to gain what ?

Or did they just miscalculate and are now thinking, damn, it's out of control ?

I think ever since bushti was ceo things got out of control.

There is a power vacuum and I'm not talking about local Middle East govts. I think there are too many people fighting to get rich with the misery sprawling down there.

All that crap has made for mass population to relocate. Truly sad.

Edited by tantra129

Get rich how ?  Iraq, Lybia, ok, there are oil fields.  What about Egypt and Syria ?

destroy plunder and rebuild ...that's how you make money

as to why egypt, syria, tunisia ?

Toe bone connected to the foot bone Foot bone connected to the heel bone Heel bone connected to the ankle bone Ankle bone connected to the shin bone

long term strategy must be Iran. nothing else makes sense.

look at the map, it becomes crystal clear

influence in iraq, SA, afghanistan, pakistan ... they are surrounded

but if someone was to hit iran from iraq, they have to worry about their neighbors to the west, in syria

i don't think (and in fact i know NOTHING about this whole situation ...just pure speculation) they are aiming for one egypt or a libya  etc ... i just think there is a long term plan and everyone needs to participate or get regime changed.

i can't stand saddam, assaad, khomenei, kaddafi or the rest of the infidels, but man ....it looks like things are worst without them. it's as if it is impossible for these countries to flourish without shedding blood. 1 step forward 2 steps back.

i ask myself the question, PRE-arab spring, do we see the terrorist attack happening in Tunisia ? I've heard from good sources (lots of north africans i play soccer with in MTL) that things are worse now. People whispering gibberish about jihad behind the scenes.

all these things are happening too close to greece for my comfort, it is only a matter of time before we see an impact. i hope i never see that day come.

Agree about Iran being the ultimate objective.  Can't clearly see how all of the above ties into it though.  Time will tell.

i don't know how it's all tied together either, but i think it is safe to say we can rule out coincidence

Europe?s dithering banks are losing ground to their decisive American rivals

http://www.economist.com/news/finance-and-economics/21674778-europes-dithering-banks-are-losing-ground-their-decisive-american-rivals-banking?fsrc=scn/tw/te/pe/ed/bankingandnothingness

European indecisiveness stands in sharp contrast to America?s large banks, which restructured more quickly. Returns are below pre-crisis levels, but their balance-sheets are stronger and management teams bedded in. European banks are still weighed down by non-core units and dud loans; America?s banks have moved on.

Investors have noticed. Most big European banks, including Deutsche Bank and HSBC, trade at a discount to tangible book value: in theory, they would be better off wound up and money returned to shareholders. Bar Citi, America?s largest banks trade at a premium to book value. Shareholder returns for big American and European banks used to track each other; now a chasm has opened up (see chart 1).

20151017_FNC182.png

In investment banking, Wall Street is relentlessly gaining market share at Europeans? expense (see chart 2). The business of helping companies raise money on capital markets, trading bonds and generally shifting money around is one that European banks are not keen to give up. But fund-raising clients are deserting the likes of Barclays and Credit Suisse for Goldman Sachs and J.P. Morgan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYuxgbIfz54

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/tony-blair/11954144/Dead-Iraq-soldier-families-say-they-feel-revulsion-at-Tony-Blair-over-apology-for-war.html

Dead Iraq soldier families say they feel 'revulsion' at Tony Blair over 'apology' for war Families of soldiers killed in Iraq attack the former prime minister for his refusal to make a full apology for the Iraq war and warn the report into the conflict will be a "cover-up".

blair-2_3482170b.jpg

Dumb & Dumber

now i understand why some of the posters are saying the australian economy is out of whack

the graph certainly draws that picture

i expect a normalization to occur in the next couple of years and the USA to come out on top in this race

SWJRGq9.png

I like how as soon as the LNP came into power "the adults" managed to reduce our GDP per capita, increase the budget deficit, among countless other things, while Labor had us outperforming the rest of the world. 

Politics+media ftw. 

i don't follow Australian politics ...but i tend to believe there are larger issues at play than a simple regime change 

You can see that when our centre-left political party gained power between 07-13, our economy was outperforming the rest. The conservative right wing gained power in 2013, with the help of an extremely biased media, and made terrible move after terrible move. 

For one reason or another, there are many similarities between the conservatives of the U.S, the U.K and Australia. I'm not sure about Canada. 
The similarities include cutting spending, cutting healthcare, tax breaks for the wealthy, attack on the working class and below, attack on welfare, attack on privacy, constant talk of a threat, talk of "security", privatisation of public resources, cuts to the public sector, poor financial management, constant talk about "budget", attacks on segments of society, while government officials get away with some of the most stupid things, all thanks to a complicit media. 
Most, if not all, of these decisions are highly unnecessary and hastily made in order to help out wealthy friends of the politicos. 

The attacks on Obamacare, the NHS and Australia's Medicare system are all parallel's of the same narrative. 
Covert cuts to the public sector then a few months later declaring the public sector inefficient and calls for privatisation are a familiar tactic in all three nations. 
And more!

Too many similarities to put down to coincidence.

yes.. i understand and yes it is the same in canada

but i think the impact of the supply & demand chain in natural resources in combination with currency wars played a bigger role

we have free healthcare (financed by fine taxpayers like myself) here and YES it is inefficient, ridiculously so