Phantis Forums

PAOK - AEK

Dikefale11

I really cant blame the players, this was all Della. It looked like he didnt know anything about his own team out there today. Simoes and Johanson are good when they have space around them to beat offensive players and create something interesting. By moving Johanson and Simoes closer to each other on the right and Anakoglou on the left he suffocated them. We knew mpaok would come into the game with 5 players in the midfield so why tf are we congesting the DM position even more? 

It pains me to say it but for the first time in a year, we were playing anti-soccer out there.....Paok was trying to play, our team made it hard for every fan's eyes. Della needs to change his ways because seeing something not work and only changing it after the 75th minute is tragic. 

Seeing the highlights we played like s%$#! but the goals PAOK did score were very lucky. The first one, Kolovetsios blocks a shot and the ball redirects straight to Rodriguez who shoots and the ball goes off the post and in. On the second goal, Berbatov uses his hands to elevate over Soiledis to win the initial header and should have been called as an offensive foul before Soiledis made the bonehead challenge. The chances at the end that we made were our best play of the game, Mantalos had a very hard headed saved by Olsen, I think Platellas crossed the ball across the front of the goal and any touch would have redirected it in, Tzavellas was a centimeter away from scoring an own goal and tying it up... Baroja made some brilliant saves in the first half to keep us in it.

This doesn't excuse our team for playing and coaching like Gatakia, I don't want to see us scared to play any team ever again. Dellas needs to change his ways and adapt, if we keep dropping points away like this he'll be fired.

Edited by Original 21

Another observation is that I really hope Buonnanotte doesn't turn into another Scocco who was begging us to play him in his real position. Buonnanotte is not a winger. As much as we hate it , the reality of things is that the big 3 dont fit into a starting lineup together. 

The only positive about this game was seeing how Mandalo was able to change the entire image of our team in 15 minutes. When he is starting we are going to be tough to beat. 

You can't do 4-3-3 when the wingers that are expected to do extra work defensively are unready. Like I mentioned the other day this was Buonannotte's second game starting and Vargas is also unready, barely being able to get 65 minutes out of a game. On top of them being unready you pretty much leave them isolated to both fend for themselves in offense AND try to help out on defense. The perfect way of burning them out, which is what we saw. 

Next tactical error is that you leave Soiledi on the wing and on an off day leave galo alone too. Mpaok was smart in taking advantage of our isolated wing backs by often times throwing Mak and Pelka to help on the wings. They were running circles around our wing backs, because the guys had no help while mpaok had the luxury of having reinforcements as they already had a deep midfield. 

Simoes and Johanson didn't have space to move, and anakoglou was lost out there daydreaming. 

This game was a tactical disaster and its a ###### shame, you know why? Because we really could have hit this mpaok straight on. Their finishing was terrible, their defense wasn't anything spectacular, and we went ahead on our only chance up until then. Instead of taking that opening to balance the game and put the final nail in the coffin, Della decided to become a spectator and let mpaok take back the game. Another ###### shame is that we made Tzioli and tzevella magkes. Two players who in my opinion are ampaloi (especially tzioli) and we made them look like star players. Tzioli won the victory deciding penalty for F***sss sake!!

Things were simple: At the half you take out Anakoglou and put in Barbosa. You pull Vargas (or Buonnanotte) to the middle to organize and get a breather. This way you just got more creative in the middle and you're back to a 4-2-3-1. By the 65th if we still haven't won the middle, you throw in Mandalo for Vargas and you let him wreak havoc. If by that time the game still hasn't balanced and theres still enough pressure on Soiledi for him to make five turn overs in a row, you put in Didac to at least cover that individual weakness. But honestly had our wingbacks had proper help on defending the wing, I don't even know if Soiledi would of been in the mental state he was when he committed the penalty. The 4-3-3 had us so F***ed from the start that we didn't have enough subs to plug in every hole. There was no way to put in Didac to plug the hole on the left and no also put in Platella to help on the right......ta ekane thallassa o Traianos shmera

My mind is just blown at the logic, or lack of logic, behind playing Soiledi by himself as an LB to defend the entire wing. How in the world did Della not see a problem with that?

You can't do 4-3-3 when the wingers that are expected to do extra work defensively are unready. Like I mentioned the other day this was Buonannotte's second game starting and Vargas is also unready, barely being able to get 65 minutes out of a game. On top of them being unready you pretty much leave them isolated to both fend for themselves in offense AND try to help out on defense. The perfect way of burning them out, which is what we saw.

Next tactical error is that you leave Soiledi on the wing and on an off day leave galo alone too. Mpaok was smart in taking advantage of our isolated wing backs by often times throwing Mak and Pelka to help on the wings. They were running circles around our wing backs, because the guys had no help while mpaok had the luxury of having reinforcements as they already had a deep midfield.

Simoes and Johanson didn't have space to move, and anakoglou was lost out there daydreaming.

This game was a tactical disaster and its a ###### shame, you know why? Because we really could have hit this mpaok straight on. Their finishing was terrible, their defense wasn't anything spectacular, and we went ahead on our only chance up until then. Instead of taking that opening to balance the game and put the final nail in the coffin, Della decided to become a spectator and let mpaok take back the game. Another ###### shame is that we made Tzioli and tzevella magkes. Two players who in my opinion are ampaloi (especially tzioli) and we made them look like star players. Tzioli won the victory deciding penalty for F***sss sake!!

Things were simple: At the half you take out Anakoglou and put in Barbosa. You pull Vargas (or Buonnanotte) to the middle to organize and get a breather. This way you just got more creative in the middle and you're back to a 4-2-3-1. By the 65th if we still haven't won the middle, you throw in Mandalo for Vargas and you let him wreak havoc. If by that time the game still hasn't balanced and theres still enough pressure on Soiledi for him to make five turn overs in a row, you put in Didac to at least cover that individual weakness. But honestly had our wingbacks had proper help on defending the wing, I don't even know if Soiledi would of been in the mental state he was when he committed the penalty. The 4-3-3 had us so F***ed from the start that we didn't have enough subs to plug in every hole. There was no way to put in Didac to plug the hole on the left and no also put in Platella to help on the right......ta ekane thallassa o Traianos shmera

My mind is just blown at the logic, or lack of logic, behind playing Soiledi by himself as an LB to defend the entire wing. How in the world did Della not see a problem with that?

Perfectly put, yesterday I realized just how important Platellas is to this team. He's a true winger which we lacked yesterday, he pressures the defense which we lacked yesterday, and he gets back on defense which we lacked yesterday. If Dellas played him instead of Anakoglou and played the 4-2-3-1 like normal I'm 1000% we would have played much better, and I'm fairly confident we would have gotten at least a point out of the game.

Dellas also needs to figure out which one of our 3 dekaria will be benched, Mantalos won't be because he's our leader and is willing to play on the wing, I'm think Diego starts in the middle and Mantalos on the wings with the constantly switching, and then in the second half of we are losing Vargas comes on for Platellas or Vargas comes on if Diego or Mantalos are tired.

• Like it 1

Yeaa, people take Platella for granted but the guy does a lot of subtle things on the field that help both Galo and the team out greatly. 

I also agree, we only have the luxury of playing 2 of the 3 big three at the same time, otherwise, unless their 1000% in shape , were wasting them on the wing. I think your idea works best because out of the 3 Vargas has the worst stamina at the moment, so he's good for a nice burst of energy in the second half. 

Hopefully the lessons were learned here and the team makes corrections and moves forward. It also highlights the fact that this is the first season back up top and its not going to be a cake walk. For many players, its their first taste of first division football and a Greek derby. They should be better prepared next time and Dellas who has shown the propensity throughout, will have also learned what he has and what it will take to be successful on the road and against the better clubs.