Phantis Forums

Dimitar Berbatov

Dutch Eagle

Some news on Berbatov from the Bulgarian media:

- For the first 5 days after Berbatov's transfer, there are 14,000 Tshirts with his name sold which makes 838,600 EUR income for the club - half his salary. He is also probably a bit responsible for the negotiations with Sportingbet offering a 2,000,000 EUR sponsorship.

- Berbatov is expected to start against Qabala FK on the 17th of September as he's not fully fit yet, having missed a pre-season training as he has been without a club for the whole summer.

- Berbatov will earn somewhere around 2,000,000 EUR with bonuses at PAOK, although he will be able to withdraw up to 60 EUR per day from ATMs.

:ph34r:

Edited by farfouille
  • Like it 2

IS expected, or ISN'T expected?

IS. He'll miss Veria, that's what I meant. But I guess he could start from the bench in the 80th minute against Veria, that's what I would do if I was in Igor Tudor's shoes.

Edited by farfouille

I would definitely put him in as a sub. Tudor seems kind of unpredictable - I would have thought we'd see Klaus get a few minutes in one of the last games, but he has yet to make his debut this season. I hope the same doesn't happen with Berbatov; we need both of these guys out there and working as soon as possible.

I'm having my doubts that you guys really did sign Berbatov. Sure it sort of looks like him but there's something odd about his hair from what I remember. He seems to have more of it.

Not as dramatic a transformation like Rooney but almost. Could he be an imposter? I bet those tattoos are drawn on too.

• Like it 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

We didn't throw the money away...I think we've recouped our cash if he leaves in the winter, depending on the circumstances of his departure.

Correct. His signing brought in an independent sponsor in Sportinbet, many shirts sales (I still have to buy mine), and increased the prestige of the club to the outside world.

On top of that the story is based on articles from the National Inquirer type media in Bulgaria and includes many false facts, such as that around 1,000 fans attacked the players after the Panaitolikos game.

In any case, I would not be surprised if he would like buy out the rest of his contract with PAOK and move to a better league. I am really surprised that player of his stature would even consider coming to a shitty league such as the Superleague. I am sure Savvidis offered him some good money to take the PAOK offer instead of the Premier League offers he had.

I suspect he was seduced by Savvidis, or should I say courted.  Decent money, close to home, getting towards the end of his career.  And Thessaloniki isn't the worst place to be based in.  So even though I was amazed that we got him, at least it kind of makes sense.  He also looked genuinely happy when he was introduced to the club that day.  At that point, he probably thought, hey, it's not so bad.

Now that he's seen the rabble that the GSL is, and the way Greek fans are animals e.g. harassing players, trashing their cars, threatening them, plus the scenes he would have seen in Athens, it wouldn't surprise me if he is thinking of leaving.  Can you blame him ?  He's played in proper leagues that are civilised.  He doesn't need to put up with or see this sort of rubbish.

Regardless of the standard of the GSL (he knew he would be coming down a level or seven), if he is to leave, it's the social side of the game, the behaviour of fans, media, presidents, police, MAT, that will drive away.

Edited by Bananas

• 2 weeks later...

Good, we can loan him to them for the rest of the season.

Tudor chose him to be by his side during the press conference tomorrow in Dortmund. Let's if the idiot PAOK reporters ask him about it, or if they are just going to kiss ass as they usually do.

Berbatov gave a vague answer today concerning all the rumors of him leaving the team in January. He basically said, that he is currently a PAOK player, that he is happy with the team and that all he wants to do is play. He said that we should concentrate on the present, since nobody knows what the future holds.

He also took blame for his reaction after being substituted in the Qabala game. He said he made a mistake, and eventually had a talk with Tudor about it and everything is ok.

Finally he said that he wants to play tomorrow, and that he would like to score and catch Stoichkov as the Bulgarian player with the most goals in European competition. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

You know....This guy has me so torn.  One one hand.  Savvidis had no business bringing him on, and forcing a new coach (to our team, and to coaching in general) to rearrange his plans for the team.  It's bad enough he had to deal with having Klaus, who wasn't exactly ideal for his plan, not he's got another piece to deal with, that just so happens to be a high profile player.

Berba hasn't shown us much, but at the same time, he isn't ready to be a bench player, and his frustrations are evident on the pitch.  The OTHER frustration he makes very obvious on the pitch is the lack of quality surrounding him.  I've always said that a player of Berba's skill set requires a couple of high quality players around him, a top shelf winger and "10ari" would definitely let him shine...but we have neither.  Mak doesn't count.   He has speed and a little bit of dribbling quality, but he has zero scoring skills and even less football IQ.  I'm surprised teams like Milan and Fiorentina are even interested in him, as I don't think he has anything to offer a top club.

Like everyone else, I'd love to see Berba starting every match IF he could perform and score and help the team.  I just don't see him being able to do it.