Phantis Forums

PAOK Fans Gyradiko

Blackhawk

The biggest influx of Greeks in America was in the late 60's - Early 80's I believe.  Most Greeks my age (35-40) here are the first generation of Greeks born in America, with the younger kids (2-10 years old) are the mostly the 2nd generation and the ones who are more likey to be mixed or not speak Greek, etc.

There was also a bunch from the 1940's, but most of their kids and grandkids have been more americanized.

Edited by BostonThanatos

My mom's side came in the mid 70's, my dad in the early 80s. I think their area had had one large "migration" that happened in the 30s, from Corfu. Whenever I go back to their church, you can definitely tell who's descended from them - they're elderly men and women who do not speak Greek at all. I'd say 90% of the people who are active in that community, are first gen like me (and their immigrant parents/grandparents).

I went to the Greek-American museum in Chicago's Greektown right after it opened, and it seemed to focus on people from the 50s and (some considerably) earlier. I found it hard to relate.

It seems that the diaspora grows by waves, at any rate. With the newest wave happening since the crisis (obviously). Generally more educated than the font from which I sprung.

• Like it 1

Im first generation in my family lol. My dad came here in the 80s when he was my age and my mom came a little bit before that. The only thing I hate about being born here are those a**hole old Greeks that tease me calling me "Americanaki" that pisses me off because they are trying to be disrespectful when they tell me that.

Skase Amerikanaki me tin grinia sou!

I'm curious, so where in Greece is everyone from?

I'll start,

Dad was from a little xorio about 30 minutes outside Drama but in Nomos Serres called Nea Bafra and mum is from a town called Polikarpi in Nomos Pell past edessa towards the hot springs at Loutraki.

I'm curious, so where in Greece is everyone from?

I'll start,

Dad was from a little xorio about 30 minutes outside Drama but in Nomos Serres called Nea Bafra and mum is from a town called Polikarpi in Nomos Pell past edessa towards the hot springs at Loutra

My mother is from Drama (a xorio 20 minutes out) and my father was born in Chalkidiki, raised in Thessaloniki.

My roots can be traced back my villages in Pontos. My father's family is from a village called Pistofandon in Santa in the district of Trapezounta. My father's side left Pontos and settled in a town named Kars, in what was then Russia (now near the Turkish-Georgian border) in the Caucasus Mountains prior to WWI breaking out. They lived there for some time until after WWI they moved to with many other Greeks to their spiritual homeland of Greece. Getting to Greece took them 3 years.

Instead of being relocated to the abandoned homes of Turk's who were living in northern Greece, they decided the build a new village an hour from Florina, naming it Neos Nakfkasos (New Caucasus) in homage to the home they left behind. It's not a very old village, just over 90 years old, the second to last village (Niki is the last) before you reach the Skopje border if you're leaving from Florina.

My mother's side did not manage to evade the Greek genocide affecting Pontos, they barely escaped from their village in Imera, also in the Trapezounta district. They settled in a village near Edessa, somewhat close to the Loutra like Nea Bafra, in a town named Apsalos. My great grandfather on my mother's side who lived through WWI as a child and passed At 104 years of age (on paper, he may have been older) and was of healthy body and mind till his death of old age, he recalled all of the events that transpired during his life in Pontos. He lived majority of his life in Australia till his death, he could speak Greek, Pontic Greek, Turkish and a little English. A few articles were written about him and his story in Greece.

Long story short, I'm from villages near Florina and Edessa haha

Edited by Pontos
  • Like it 3

something fantastic happened to me yesterday. i went with a couple friends to this pizza place around the corner from our apartment to grab some lunch before watching tottenham-everton. we go in there and put our orders in and i jokingly ask one of my friends (lebanese descent) if he knows the people who own the place, since his family also have pizza places and he seems to know a lot of restaurant owners. he says he doesn't know these people, but he later adds that he thinks they're greek.

i look at the guy behind the counter and i think to myself, yeah, i could see it. but when the lady working there announces that a vedzie (veggie) slice is ready for pickup, there could be no doubts. interestingly, before i or my friends even said anything, the boss of the place comes over and tells us he's going to give us free pizza. alright!

anyway, when the food was ready and we go to pay, my friend asks what nationality they are and sure enough they're greeks. i start talking to the guy there and when he hears my mom was born in thessaloniki he immediately asks which team i support. my life is on the line here, i realized, but of course i told him PAOK. he immediately reaches under the counter and produces a fantastic scarf (BLACK HELL one) that he gave to me. my two buddies and i also walked out of there with a free pizza on top of whatever food we had all already ordered. the guy's name was stathi, seems like a good fellow and absolutely a PAOK fanatic.

2fb95045-96bb-4de0-a107-473f5b55dc42_zps

Edited by gdkmangosalsa
  • Like it 5

Cool story gdkmangosalsa.

Speaking of pizza. For you Boston area based PAOKtzides, if you're in the Cranston, RI area and have a taste for a good pizza, I recommend Basil's Pizza. Tell them you're PAOK fans from the Phantis PAOK Forum and they will take care you. Ask for Vasili.  B)

• Like it 3

• Blackhawk changed the title to PAOK Fans Souvlatzidiko