Phantis Forums
Omonoia9

Greece-Finland(4 September 2015, Giorgos Karaiskaki, Piraeus)

More news: http://www.sdna.gr/ethnikes-omades-podosfairoy/article/109630/tsanas-stin-akri-ego-koitakste-emeis

Tsanas said players should subordinate their ego to the community, so the team can escape from the current situation. He will employ the 4-2-3-1 system (with an attacking midfielder and two wingers). Eight players (says SDNA) secured their place in the Ethniki: Karnezis, Manolas, Holebas, Samaris, Fetfatzidis, Fortounis, Karelis, Mitroglou. Kitsiou and Vyntra can play right back, with the former having reportedly more chance to start [this surprised me - LM], Papastathopoulos and K. Papadopoulos contest for the place of the other CD. The second DM - if one of the former duo will be benched - can be eventually Petsos. (It seems Tziolis and Tachtsidis will start on the bench.)

Edited by La Mendel

Our starting XI:

Karnezis

Kitsiou/Vyntra        Manolas        Sokratis/K. Paps        Holebas

K. Paps/Petsos                     Samaris

Fetfatzidis                     Fortounis                        Karelis

Mitroglou

Our starting XI:

Karnezis

Kitsiou/Vyntra        Manolas        Sokratis/K. Paps        Holebas

K. Paps/Petsos                     Samaris

Fetfatzidis                     Fortounis                        Karelis

Mitroglou

The opportunity to go 3-5-2 is knocking on the door.

All good teams defend as a unit and attack as a unit. The Greece that used to shutout teams could defend as a unit and we always found a way to score at least 1 goal.

We've gone from a team that never conceded, to one that is now guaranteed to at least concede or gift 1 goal to the opposition every match. In the 2014 WC qualifiers we had 4 goals against in 10 games. and If you take the Bosnia 3-1 loss out, that's just 1 goal conceded in 9 matches.

Reasons? There are many. Injuries, loss of form to key players, inexperience, egos, individuals playing for themselves, loss of confidence, loss of motivation, change of style, coach/selections, pressure 

• Like it 1

i understand, and yes, i got it - ranieri's stay with greece was not tenable after his 4 matches.....despite me willing to see ranieri get through the meat of his matches by the end of this week.

personally, i don't think he changed anything - only what he had to change, the CM.

Perhaps he cast aside our match strategy? And replaced it with... exactly what? The players themselves didnt know what the clown wanted.

Perhaps he cast aside our match strategy? And replaced it with... exactly what? The players themselves didnt know what the clown wanted.

have you read wht karagounis had to say about ranieri? 

- the other thing i would like to address is this urban myth that greece was always and still some kind of defensive shut down side. we know that greece has had 2 clean sheets in it's last 14 tournament matches since 2008. they were against russia in 2012 were sifakis and poor russian finishing kept the clean sheet and japan in 2014, where karnezis had the best match of his 2014 tournament.

some simple research will show us that nations such as croatia, switzerland...sweden, have kept better or equal defensive records at euros/WCs compared to greece.

Yes, especially Croatia is a good example. They conceded 3 goals last year versus the goody goody mexican team and were overwhelmed. Same vs Brazil.

And Switzerland, they conceded five versus France and it could have been easily more (cf. one French player missed a penalty, and there were other chances too). Conceded 7 goals in 4 matches - cf. Greece conceded five. And they were absent from Euro 2012, probably because of their good defensive record in the qualification stage. Sweden, however, missed the 2014 tournament after Ronaldo scored four times against them at the playoff (cf. we scored four goals at that playoff).

Greece conceded very few goals in qualification matches. At the finals, in 2012 Holebas made great mistakes versus Poland and Czech Rep which costed us two goals. Germany was a very strong team and some of our players seemed extremely nervous (+ an abysmal performance from Sifakis who was OK in the group stage matches). In 2014, the first Colombian goal with which our problems at once started was again partly due a mistake from Holebas (and partly an unlucky touch from Manolas).

Gazzetta.gr says Tsanas chose the 4-4-2 system (source: http://www.gazzetta.gr/football/article/796298/me-4-4-2-kai-ena-erotimatiko-o-tsanas-pic). The lineup I copied in in the morning was a hoax (I found the Kitsiou part of it very surprising). After Thursday training it seems that Tziolis will start as a defensive midfielder instead of Kyriakos Papadopoulos. Karnezis will be the keeper, Vyntra (and ofc not Kitsiou), Manolas, Papastathopoulos and Holebas will be the defenders. Tziolis, Samaris, Fortounis, and one of the Fetfatzidis-Kone duo will be in the center. Mitroglou and Karelis will attack. (I can easily imagine that this will be another 4-3-3, with Tziolis as CDM, Kone/Fetfatzidis on the right wing and Karelis as a LW - although the picture shows quite another formation with Kone as LM.) Tachtsidis and K. Papadopoulos can also play tomorrow. Tsanas will decide about the lineup on Friday morning, he said that to the players. He wants them to be alert.

The lineup (it is reported ofc, but more plausible than that in the morning):

Gazzetta.gr says Tsanas chose the 4-4-2 system (source: http://www.gazzetta.gr/football/article/796298/me-4-4-2-kai-ena-erotimatiko-o-tsanas-pic). The lineup I copied in in the morning was a hoax (I found the Kitsiou part of it very surprising). After Thursday training it seems that Tziolis will start as a defensive midfielder instead of Kyriakos Papadopoulos. Karnezis will be the keeper, Vyntra (and ofc not Kitsiou), Manolas, Papastathopoulos and Holebas will be the defenders. Tziolis, Samaris, Fortounis, and one of the Fetfatzidis-Kone duo will be in the center. Mitroglou and Karelis will attack. (I can easily imagine that this will be another 4-3-3, with Tziolis as CDM, Kone/Fetfatzidis on the right wing and Karelis as a LW - although the picture shows quite another formation with Kone as LM.) Tachtsidis and K. Papadopoulos can also play tomorrow. Tsanas will decide about the lineup on Friday morning, he said that to the players. He wants them to be alert.

The lineup (it is reported ofc, but more plausible than that in the morning):

11ada_elladas.jpg?itok=o_F0lLJA

If he plays that. Send him fishing instead of coaching.

• Like it 1

If true, that's a disappointing lineup. I just want to see a win!

Tax and Samaris don't work well together.... It's like Gerrard and Lampard .... Bahahaha

Edited by CPAO
  • Like it 1

I was under the impression he was primarily a centre forward, my mistake
I honestly don't mind the look of that line-up, but I've felt that way about every team we've put out these qualifiers, they have just severely under performed. If these guys play anywhere near what they are capable we will win, that being said any win will do.

Anyone know a decent place in Sydney to watch the game? ESPN 3, streaming or SKYsports1 are a myth. Cr card details are private and to stay that way. 

I predict 2-0 Greece. Mitroglou & Aravidis to score.

Let's see.

• Like it 1

Greece 2-1 over the Fins. Fortounis and Karelis.