Phantis Forums

Greece-Finland(4 September 2015, Giorgos Karaiskaki, Piraeus)

Omonoia9

Sheriff, one of your dumber posts to be honest...

Ti Aekism m*****es re?

Everyone is entitled to their opinion on a player and when I say the guy deserves to be on the team its simply not because he plays for AEK! If that was the case I would be asking for Anestis on the team using your logic.

I don't believe you have seen the guy play, you failed to answer that question which brings more traction to my thought and constantly belittle AEK players because of where we came from. 

Platellas is a good player who is getting better each season so far and his matches against quality opposition have been great. I was the first to criticize the guy for his first half performance against Olympiakos in the cup last season in the first leg saying he needs to step up and he did just that. For me that deserves a call up in a flat and out of form team that is our Ethniki.

How can the guy be NT level, when you guys who see him every week in B and C division question his capabilities and qualities?

This is the classic national team tactic. Kick off begins we have the ball. Pass the ball to kats then he passes back to moras then moras passes back to karnezis. Karnezis kicks the ball up to mitroglou who is walking but somehow gets the ball. Then he passes is ir back again. Holebas makes a run up the wing and doesnt track back causing us to concede. We then panic and flood the box with crosses only to miss chance aftr chance. With these tactics we were able to stay top 20 in the world under santos bravo!

Sounds even more amazing when you put it like that. Good on us!

I had a DREAM last night that Hungary got one win out of there next 3 matches and we ran the table which set up the final match for us only 3 points behind Hungary. And of course in that last game we beat them to advance to the playoffs.

Can you guys imagine that actually happened.

I really dislike us playing these games at the Karaiskaki. I would rather see them at the Aris stadium or somewhere like that. 

It makes the most sense. Karaiskaki is one of the nicest stadiums in the country, it's in Piraeus, driving distance for everyone in Attiki and even other areas, but not too big like OAKA. They should do more friendlies in other cities though,

Can't see the next Hellas captain being pushed from his preferred CB position. He won't be at RB. If anything Manolas. But I seriously think Kitsiou will start there. Obviously Kyriakos starts, as he is my vice capt anyway. Kyriakos starts at DM for the right balance.

Orestis, Holebas, Sokratis ©, Manolas, Kitsiou, Kyriakos (vc), Samaris, Fortounis, Fetfa, Mitro, Karelis.

All the best boythes! 

But I seriously think Kitsiou will start there.  [...]

Orestis, Holebas, Sokratis ©, Manolas, Kitsiou, Kyriakos (vc), Samaris, Fortounis, Fetfa, Mitro, Karelis.

On the only occasion when Tsanas was the head coach Vyntra started (and as a left back). Just saying.

Edited by La Mendel

Can't see the next Hellas captain being pushed from his preferred CB position. He won't be at RB. If anything Manolas. But I seriously think Kitsiou will start there. Obviously Kyriakos starts, as he is my vice capt anyway. Kyriakos starts at DM for the right balance.

All the best boythes!

I dont think he will be at RB,,,but that is exactly what a leader does..leads by example doing whats best for the team 1st...he is better at RB than anyone we have..we need to win..Kitsiou will get his chance..this is my opinion,,maybe Tsanas goes Kitsiou or Petsos at RB..I just want to see a TEAM playing together and banking 3 points

More news: http://www.sdna.gr/ethnikes-omades-podosfairoy/article/109630/tsanas-stin-akri-ego-koitakste-emeis

Tsanas said players should subordinate their ego to the community, so the team can escape from the current situation. He will employ the 4-2-3-1 system (with an attacking midfielder and two wingers). Eight players (says SDNA) secured their place in the Ethniki: Karnezis, Manolas, Holebas, Samaris, Fetfatzidis, Fortounis, Karelis, Mitroglou. Kitsiou and Vyntra can play right back, with the former having reportedly more chance to start [this surprised me - LM], Papastathopoulos and K. Papadopoulos contest for the place of the other CD. The second DM - if one of the former duo will be benched - can be eventually Petsos. (It seems Tziolis and Tachtsidis will start on the bench.)

Edited by La Mendel

Our starting XI:

Karnezis

Kitsiou/Vyntra        Manolas        Sokratis/K. Paps        Holebas

K. Paps/Petsos                     Samaris

Fetfatzidis                     Fortounis                        Karelis

Mitroglou

All good teams defend as a unit and attack as a unit. The Greece that used to shutout teams could defend as a unit and we always found a way to score at least 1 goal.

We've gone from a team that never conceded, to one that is now guaranteed to at least concede or gift 1 goal to the opposition every match. In the 2014 WC qualifiers we had 4 goals against in 10 games. and If you take the Bosnia 3-1 loss out, that's just 1 goal conceded in 9 matches.

Reasons? There are many. Injuries, loss of form to key players, inexperience, egos, individuals playing for themselves, loss of confidence, loss of motivation, change of style, coach/selections, pressure 

• Like it 1

i understand, and yes, i got it - ranieri's stay with greece was not tenable after his 4 matches.....despite me willing to see ranieri get through the meat of his matches by the end of this week.

personally, i don't think he changed anything - only what he had to change, the CM.

Perhaps he cast aside our match strategy? And replaced it with... exactly what? The players themselves didnt know what the clown wanted.

- the other thing i would like to address is this urban myth that greece was always and still some kind of defensive shut down side. we know that greece has had 2 clean sheets in it's last 14 tournament matches since 2008. they were against russia in 2012 were sifakis and poor russian finishing kept the clean sheet and japan in 2014, where karnezis had the best match of his 2014 tournament.

some simple research will show us that nations such as croatia, switzerland...sweden, have kept better or equal defensive records at euros/WCs compared to greece.

Yes, especially Croatia is a good example. They conceded 3 goals last year versus the goody goody mexican team and were overwhelmed. Same vs Brazil.

And Switzerland, they conceded five versus France and it could have been easily more (cf. one French player missed a penalty, and there were other chances too). Conceded 7 goals in 4 matches - cf. Greece conceded five. And they were absent from Euro 2012, probably because of their good defensive record in the qualification stage. Sweden, however, missed the 2014 tournament after Ronaldo scored four times against them at the playoff (cf. we scored four goals at that playoff).

Greece conceded very few goals in qualification matches. At the finals, in 2012 Holebas made great mistakes versus Poland and Czech Rep which costed us two goals. Germany was a very strong team and some of our players seemed extremely nervous (+ an abysmal performance from Sifakis who was OK in the group stage matches). In 2014, the first Colombian goal with which our problems at once started was again partly due a mistake from Holebas (and partly an unlucky touch from Manolas).