Phantis Forums

Greece country coefficient

Sure, like the points they have gotten us last year when they get raped in the EL group stages? When they got 0 victories 2 draw and 4 losses????

We still in the CL so those points we need? HAHAHAHA ase mas re exeis complex me t marinaki kai esy. I was speaking in general for small teams like Asteras and PAOK. We will be in the CL for the enxt 5 years aswell.

Sure, like the points they have gotten us last year when they get raped in the EL group stages? When they got 0 victories 2 draw and 4 losses????

We still in the CL so those points we need? HAHAHAHA ase mas re exeis complex me t marinaki kai esy. I was speaking in general for small teams like Asteras and PAOK. We will be in the CL for the enxt 5 years aswell.

Do you have rocks in your head ?  Are you expecting PAO with 1/6 the budget of Olympiakos to be dominating Europe ?

Open your eyes and have a look at the state of Greek football teams :-

1/ PAO - 2nd biggest club in Greece.  Finances are what, say 1/3 or 1/4 of what they used to be.  Unable to compete at the level they are used to.

2/ AEK - 3rd biggest club in Greece.  Relegated to Division 3 due to serious financial issues.

3/ PAOK - 4th biggest club in Greece.  Able to pay wages on time for 3 years running.  Thank god for Savvidis.

4/ Aris - 5th biggest club in Greece.  Where do you start ?

5/ Iraklis - ...

6/ OFI - .... you get the idea.

What exactly are you expecting from these "super powers" ?  PAOK would probably have been relegated to Division 3 as well if Savvidis hadn't come in when he did.  The team was bleeding financially and letting players go left and right because they couldn't even afford wages.

Having said that, PAO should have gotten to the Group Stages, but with the state of Greek football at the moment, nothing is a given.  The "trend" for Greece's co-efficient score is pointing down and probably will continue to do so for a while yet.

"We" needed your points indeed ....

Edited by Bananas

Forgive my cynicism, but when I read "we" I assumed he meant Olympiakos.  Regardless, until PAO and AEK get their house in order, Greece's co-efficient rating will stay where it is, or keep going down.  Even PAOK is an unknown quantity this year.  Lots of young players brought in.  How will they handle playing better quality opponents in the EL Group Stage ?

Hopefully AEK will be ready for Europe next season.  As for PAO, I'm not sure what the go is with them.  Everything seemed to be clicking into place for them towards the end of last season, but now ... what can you say.  It's easy to say they have poor ownership.  How do you fix it though ?

8 Ukraine 37.883 3/ 5

9 Belgium 34.600 3/ 5

10 Netherlands 31.396 4/ 6

11 Turkey 29.800 3/ 5

12 Switzerland 29.775 2/ 5

13 Czech Republic 27.925 3/ 5

14 Greece 26.700 3/ 5

15 Romania 25.383 0/4

16 Croatia 23.375 1/ 4

17 Austria 23.100 1/ 5

18 Cyprus 21.675 1/ 4

Need to finish 12 or higher to have a direct participant in GS of CL (Champion) and GS of EL (cupwinner) in the 2017/2018 season.

Place 13/14/15 gives access for Champion and runner-up in Q3, and CW also needs to start from Q3.

For next season we still have the same spots in Europe as in this season.

Therefore the Greek clubs need to win as much as possible and Switzerland, Turkey and Chech Rep. need to lose as much as possible.

Don't think Croatia and lower countries are able to collect enough points to scare us. Romania is all out.

Are there any online calculators or spreadsheets we can fiddle with?

Below shows a rundown of how many points have been gained. Greece at 19th, just under the mighty Cyprus. Switzerland has only snagged 1.3 points towards their rating (if I'm reading this right), we might just be able to leapfrog them. I guess we have to hope for Olympiakos to make it to the round of 13, and one of the EL teams to get out of their group.

http://kassiesa.home.xs4all.nl/bert/uefa/data/method4/ccoef2016.html

There should be, Pash.

I think kassies works with a excelformat.

UEFA EL points system

First qualifying round elimination - 0.25 points

Second qualifying round elimination - 0.5 points

Third qualifying round elimination - 1 point

Play-off elimination 1.5 points

Group Stage win - 2 points

Group stage draw - 1 point

For the country coefficient it is divided by the participans. In this case easy: by 5.

So a draw is 0.2 points for Greece and the others that we must pass to become 12th. A win 0.4.

Croatia gets 0.25 for a draw and 0.5 for a win.

Holland gets 0.16 / 0.32

Thus we need 16 points more than the Swiss and Turks, and 6 points more than the Chechs.

And than there are bonusses for reaching the knock-out stage.

Have to look what those bonusses are.

Just looked at the official UEFA-site:

Points system

1. Each team gets two points for a win and one point for a draw (points are halved for matches in the qualifying and play-off rounds).

2. Clubs that reach the round of 16, quarter-finals, semi-finals or final of the UEFA Champions League, or the quarter-finals, semi-finals or final of the UEFA Europa League, are awarded an extra point for each round.

3. In addition, four points are awarded for participation in the group stage of the UEFA Champions League and four points for qualifying for the round of 16.

http://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/uefarankings/country/index.html

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Still don't see us reaching the number 12 position that really counts for the next 3 or 4 seasons. We already missed that milestone for next season and it will be tougher down the road. I actually prefer that we don't get an automatic spot in the group stage of CL anyway.

The Czechs and Turks are (obviously) still the two countries ahead of us. Both have three teams left in competitions, same as us. Upcoming games:

Turkey:

Galatasaray vs Benfica (CL) - 10/21

Lokomotiv Moscow vs Besiktas (EL) - 10/22

Fenerbahce vs Ajax (EL) - 10/22

Czech Republic:

Schalke vs Sparta Prague (EL) - 10/22

Liberec vs FC Groningen (EL) - 10/22

Rapid Wien vs Viktoria Plzen (EL) - 10/22

On the plus side, they should lose most of these.

Still don't see us reaching the number 12 position that really counts for the next 3 or 4 seasons. We already missed that milestone for next season and it will be tougher down the road. I actually prefer that we don't get an automatic spot in the group stage of CL anyway.

Why wouldn't you want the automatic spot ?  It's guaranteed 4 bonus points.

because it's a typical negative greek attitude...

anyway........

If Oly are GSL champions....they will be the highest seeded team in the 'champions route'....

along with probably Celtic, Dinamo, Austrian champs,  Czech champs....or APOEL

so.........

they will end up  in a play off v  a team like BATE, Astana, Israeli team, Partizan.....Malmo....or a lot worse.....I would fancy Oly more often than not from here to qualify...

• 2 weeks later...

Gained a full point due to Olympiakos' win yesterday, we're now at 28.7. Czechs are one place above us, in 13th, with 29.725.

With yesterday's result, we have matched the points total Greece added for the 12/13 season, which is serving as a drag on our total coefficient. 11/12 will be dropping out of the calculations for next season, however, so we desperately need more points to offset. Which you all already knew.

http://kassiesa.home.xs4all.nl/bert/uefa/data/method4/crank2016.html

• Like it 1

You did forget the points that Xanthi gained in the 2013/2014 season. The incredible amount of .....

1 point.

As the CL participant gets a minimum of 4 bonuspoints each season Oly gathered 27 points through their results in their European games. Still the most of all Greek clubs, I must admit.

You are right, Reaper.

Now we have just completed the top 6 or all points.

It will be difficult to get to the twelfth spot. Czech Republic is do-able (Asteras knows what to do against Sparta Prague). Switzerland not (the more so if they collect points in the last minute as Sion did yesterday). Turkey maybe, but very difficult.

Edited by Dutch Eagle

As bad as it is, maybe we deserve to be 13th. The points don't lie. Back when Greece was ranked 6th, you had Olympiakos, PAO and AEK all at a high and similar level. PAOK a bit further back. But between these 4 it was enough to accumulate points consistently. Until PAO and AEK improve, we won't be moving up the rankings.

As bad as it is, maybe we deserve to be 13th. The points don't lie. Back when Greece was ranked 6th, you had Olympiakos, PAO and AEK all at a high and similar level. PAOK a bit further back. But between these 4 it was enough to accumulate points consistently. Until PAO and AEK improve, we won't be moving up the rankings.

PAOK have been a bigger contributor today than in the times were ranked 6th.....yes PAOK had some good results back then...but over the 5 year cycle PAOK are doing better now..

PAO has been the let down....to a lesser degree Asteras has collected AEK's losses...

also let's not forget at the time we were 6th...Russia and Ukraine were not big spenders....it was right at the cusp of when these two went nuts with the mafia dollars...

The highest we can ever hope for is 9th or 10th...

Spain

England

Germany

Italy

France

Portugal

Russia

Holland

will consistently be ahead of us....

then  Ukraine, Turkey, Belgium we can mix it with...

Very true about the Russian big spending Sheriff. Agree with your list above of countries we can't expect to surpass, with the exception of Holland. They can be inconsistent and have some years where they don't accumulate many points. They could possibly be caught assuming our sides got their shizen together.