Phantis Forums

Europa Play-Offs PAO-Qabala 2nd leg 27/08/2015 21:00

next week i believe we will be even bettter!...its a must giannis gets the starting 11 right! if we score i see us go trough no doubt!..we where dogged tonight showed plenty of fight huge heart never gave up!!!...i will say i miss steele big time!! his needed for next game but i think giannis will stick with kotzio perhaps now....lagos was super key second half!! forget starting ajagun...next week will we see petric/ kaltsas or lod start i wonder??...koutroubis is our only option in defence the dane is injured........over all i believe we can overcome brugge and enter the play off round of the champions league! :tup:

Personally after the seeing the highlights your defence needs to be on their A game as Brugge will be up for it infront of their own fans and knowing an early goal will give them belief they can go through and they can score more. If PAO can keep them scoreless the 1st half the longer the game goes on the more pressure will be on them and that's when mistakes can start to happen.

Edited by Original Sydney

^ The form Ninis had today was reminiscent of the Roma match he had a few years past. I hope Brugge comes at us because their stretched rearguard will be exploited by Ninis, Berg, and Karellis! After all, the best defence is a good offence! Pame!!!

• Like it 1

First off...  I"m thankful there is EGG on my face...

Although, I did predict the 1st half perfectly  :1eye:

We have some MASSIVE MASSIVE problems in defense... as I pointed out before... we crumble when we are up against a team that has a great passing game.... they rip us into shreds b/c we have players that can't read the game very well...

Sanchez was supposed to be that guy to help the defenders read the game... but looks like he's Sarriegi 0.5....  He's our own Felipe Santana...

Santana_Portrait.jpg

In any case... MASSIVE MASSIVE congratulations to the team.... WE PLAYED WITH BALLS and they pulled off something special against a very good team

The game in Belgium is a completely different ordeal though

We got through this game on SHEER determination and GUTS.... Anastasiou did his miracle to muck up the match, but our players stuck together and pulled a rabbit out of their asses

Can't stress how impressive their win was

However... when push comes to shove... Brugge are a much better team than us....  They completely dissected us and it should have been a complete blow-out in the 1st half...  And this was in front of a packed Leoforo... when they are at home.. dont' expect things to be pretty when we are trying to defend

We will get eaten to shreds especially with Koutroubi/30 in the defense... Lord help us....  Ask Risvani to come back for a game...  F*** it throw in that new kid from Panionio...  they can't honestly be worse than Koutroubi or 30....  

We start either them in defense.... eimaste gia 3ares and 4ares

Grkfreezer my point exactly about your defence which is what I said above. It didn't look good at all from the highlights I saw, needs to be much much better in the 2nd leg as Brugge will have the confidence to run at them at home.

Hopefully you guys do the job, tough ask but it can be done.

Ballsy win.

I know people are going to bag the defense but the reality is it is super early right now and there are a lot of new faces there (Wemer, Sanchez, Pranjic) on the backline. You had to figure there was and is going to be some confusion for a while. It didn't help Koutroubis was playing DM. It's going to take time. Hopefully we get an early goal next game to ice this.

The game in Belgium is a completely different ordeal though

We got through this game on SHEER determination and GUTS.... Anastasiou did his miracle to muck up the match, but our players stuck together and pulled a rabbit out of their asses

Can't stress how impressive their win was

However... when push comes to shove... Brugge are a much better team than us....  They completely dissected us and it should have been a complete blow-out in the 1st half...  And this was in front of a packed Leoforo... when they are at home.. dont' expect things to be pretty when we are trying to defend

We will get eaten to shreds especially with Koutroubi/30 in the defense... Lord help us....  Ask Risvani to come back for a game...  F*** it throw in that new kid from Panionio...  they can't honestly be worse than Koutroubi or 30....  

We start either them in defense.... eimaste gia 3ares and 4ares

There is nothing wrong with a little determination, beware the sides that want it more! We showed that today and there is nothing to suggest, we won't show as much fight next week. After last season's disappointment, the players know the weight of expectation. Even when we went down to 10 men, the players knew a loss wasn't acceptable. They themselves were not going to lie down. Also for the first time this side produced a performance in which their predecessors will be proud of. They wrote their own little chapter, off course they will have to follow up with a good performance in the second.

Anastasiou made a mistake with both our shape and a couple player selections, most notably ajagazun and koutroubis. Cut him some slack though, there isn't much depth in that midfield. Our formation exposed us out wide, pranjic was targeted, stretching our backline. We conceded and should've conceded a second, not to mention the players seemed mentally lost. The first 20 min or so were horrible. You have to question why brugge couldn't put us away at this point, a better side would've capitalized.

The players lifted off course but anastasiou made the necessary tweaks. Support for the fullbacks, koutroubis as a holder and from an attacking sense, ninis in that free role. The fullbacks could now push forward knowing they have support. There was more balance but most important, the players knew their role. There is too much confusion with the 4-2-2-2...

We said it before the game, brugge are better drilled. In open space they will destroy you but they lacked ruthlessness, proficiency in front of goal. I think they will look back at the game, contemplate the chances missed and wonder if only they only had a striker of berg's quality. In terms of quality they have a few decent attacking players, diaby, vanaken and izquierdo but their defenders are terrible. Both sides are similar actually in terms of strengths and weaknesses.

Actually when we tried to defend we did an amazing job. It also showed their inability to pick us apart once we clogged the lanes. We could've played another 30 minutes, i couldn't see them scoring. I'm not suggesting we defend as deep in the return but i would like to see us put men behind the ball.

The key for the return leg is how well we start. If we can keep them out for the first 20 min or so, it sets the pace. We might even snag a goal on the break. If Anastasiou sets us up wrong again and we conceded early, we will find ourselves chasing the game and it could get ugly. Going to be very entertaining and nerve racking.

TI NA PW??? Holy s%$#! it's the morning after and im still shaking. Let me tell you, when they say einai san skliro narcotico they are telling the truth!!! The whole match I had these goose bumps and in 13 with my now alania from Sparti I could truly understand this drug like feeling. It was like no other! Lost my voice and my mind last night! I will be posting some videos and pictures in the views fan at leoforo section when I get back home on Friday!

What a game! PAO MPOREIS NA PROKRITHEIS

Edited by PhillyG13
  • Like it 5

I saw the 2nd half missed the first concidering the circmstances we really did stuggle to contain them and they had plenty of ball. Some players were found out but under the circumstances we were very gritty and you take the win with open arms. We must go to brugge and get an away goal, we just don't wanna sit back on our eggs and park the bus sitting on a narrow lead. They are gonna come with everything we must play counterattack wait for them and frustrate them and basically punish them when the time comes.

Pame trifilara

• Like it 2

But, why did our team waste most of first half? This is a very worrisome pattern continuing for far too long. We dropped too many points last season becasue they wasted one half. It's not easy to always have to dig themselves out of a hole.

Are the coach & players not prepared for their opponent? Haven't done their homework?

we got want we wanted a win,now they have to come at us ,we don't have to go at them,we can sit back,make sure we close down the space and don't give them any time on the ball,defending deep is what  tavlaridis game is made for,hopefully steele is fit,then you have zeka ,ajagun,lagos,working their butts off and ninis and karelis hitting them on the break with berg at the top,we actually play some of our best football when we play conservative and don't try to force the game.

our fullbacks wont need to push forward they can focus on keeping a nice tight back 4 ,with 4 mids in front of them protecting them.

I think they will struggle finding the right balance between attack and defence,im pretty sure we can catch them on the break and that we can out work them in midfield.

of course football is not an exact science things can go terribly wrong one bad pass ,one wrong refs call.i think we got them .

• Like it 2

ajagun is not needed for his offensive qualities,but for his defensive work,he is all out ,high energy ,high work rate, off the ball work is needed more than ever in this game,this game is about holding on to what we have ,and to do that we need to put pressure on them ,harass them and not give them o moments break.

also when we win the ball his runs going forward in the transition from defence to attack will be another thorn in their side.

let him run himself into the ground for 70 minutes then bring on fresh legs.

ajagun will be the first person along with zeka who I would pick for this game,we need guys who are going to get in the trenches and do the dirty work not primma donnas.

we got want we wanted a win,now they have to come at us ,we don't have to go at them,we can sit back......

Well, as many times in the past, PAO can concede an early goal. If this happens, it's PAO that will have to risk and it'll be a disaster as the team isn't ready yet, especially against a better put-together team like Brugge.

I saw too many amateurish mistakes yesterday, including the tough tackle by Sanchez (no way you do that in the midfield when there's not big threat; did he apologize yet?).  Brugge will take advantage of our mental lapses in Belgium next week.

ajagun is not needed for his offensive qualities,but for his defensive work,he is all out ,high energy ,high work rate, off the ball work is needed more than ever in this game,this game is about holding on to what we have ,and to do that we need to put pressure on them ,harass them and not give them o moments break.

also when we win the ball his runs going forward in the transition from defence to attack will be another thorn in their side.

let him run himself into the ground for 70 minutes then bring on fresh legs.

ajagun will be the first person along with zeka who I would pick for this game,we need guys who are going to get in the trenches and do the dirty work not primma donnas.

We have seen him play better in domestic games but today he really struggled. Offensively he is limited, we know that by now. You mention his defensive qualities but he didn't really help out wemmer on his side. He was rather a spectator in this one except for the time, when he gifted the ball to the opposition, leading to a goal scorring chance. I think he can come in and give some of the more talented guys a rest, preferably for the league. He is not for this level though. We have a few of that nature but ajagazun is the worst of the lot.

Also i don't think we can afford to chase for 90 min, we need some balance. When you have zeca and lagos as your ball winners, you need a ball retainer. Ball retention is also a means of defending.

id prefer to see a 4-5-1

..........................steele..........................

pranjic......tavlaridis..koutroubis....wemmer

.................,zeca......lagos.....lod........

.....................ninis...karelis..............

........................berg..............

we need a counter attacking defensive mids...the above 3! zeca lagos lod will run all game long box to box lod and zeca passing running tracking creating chances lagos will sit in the whole and stop anything going through the middle....ninis and karelis can attack from deep and cause major problems for brugge on the break ninis creativity wise and karelis strength and hussle but capable of scoring we will need and well berg is berg! ;)...Defence wise that's the best we can go with imo....steele i believe is always safest choice!

Edited by Green Man

Well, what can I say! I am still trying to digest what happened in this game. 

Poor defence, a disappointing debut by Sanchez, Wemmer and Pranjic struggling, plus poor tactics by Anastasiou.

On the other hand, a great Ninis for a half, Pranjic having a great second half along with a clean sheet for a whole half with 10 men.

How does one predict the second leg? 

If we repeat the second half in Belgium, the tie is ours. If we experiment with our lineup and a 4-2-2-2 we will struggle again. Its anyone's guess what Anastasiou will do though. What we do know is that having Ninis, Berg and Karelis in our final third will guarantee to create some problems for their defence knowing that they will need a goal.