Phantis Forums

PAOK FC Head Coach (Razvan Lucescu)

Blackhawk

Good move. He'll be our coach for the next two seasons. Hopefully he will accomplish winning the Superleague and finally reach the groups stage of CL during those two remaining seasons. Lucescu taking over the team last season was the best thing that happened to the team.

BTW there is a 2 mil buyout clause in his new contract.

• 4 months later...

Πώς βλέπετε τον Ράζβαν παιδιά; Εγώ νομίζω ότι η Ευρωπαϊκή αποτυχία κλόνισε πολύ την εικόνα που είχε. Το πώς θα εμφανιστεί η ομάδα στον δεύτερο γύρο θα κρίνει σε μεγάλο βαθμό αν θα μείνει και μετά το τέλος της φετινής χρονιάς στην ομάδα.

A football coach here once said:

"There are two types of coaches, those who have been sacked and those about to be sacked"

I see Razvan as being stubborn and pig headed but liked by the majority of the squad. He is what we need right now, but I think over time he will start to annoy the players and it will lead to him being shown the door.

I can't see him making it to the end of next season.

I think it's really simple.  If he doesn't win the league, he'll be sacked.  The pressure is now on because of the +8.  If we were say +2 or -2 and he just missed out then he might be kept, but because of the +8, he has to win.  After that, it depends on how the title is won.  If we make it by the skin of our teeth he might still be sacked.

Having said all that, I'm neither here nor there about Razvan.  I think he's good, solid and realistically what manager can we get that is better and that will come to us ?  We have to be realistic.  When you compare him to the managers we've had in the previous 5 seasons he is much better overall.  Hiring managers is such an unknown quantity.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Blackhawk changed the title to PAOK FC Head Coach (?)

Al Hilal offered him a contract for 7 mil. They will also pay PAOK 2 mil due to the buyout clause in his contract.

This came at the worst possible time. Only two days before travelling to Holland for training. I am assuming that Garcia will take the team to Holland before a new coach is found. 

I believe there is more to this than the fabulous contract he got from Saudi Arabia. Can you imagine the two players coming tonight to Thessaloniki? They got on a plane knowing that Lucescu was the coach, and when they get to Thessaloniki they will find no coach. 

And how about the players that came to PAOK only because of Lucescu (Zivkovic, Meliopoulos)?

Wow. Perfect timing just as we started the preseason. How quick can we find a new coach and how quick can he adapt to the team and the team to him and his ideas?

The buy out is 2 mil.

H@m0 ta lefta. Ruining football. People are starving, the avarage fan just can keep his head above the water not to drown and in football the fees, contracts etc. keep rising like crazy, boys of 19 earning 300,000.00 euro a week. Pfffffff. 

One Romanian site said that Lucescu and Savvidis had a massive falling out, but perhaps it's because of the offer.

Gotta make a big move for coach now. Need to get this sh!t under control asap.

Like I said, I think the reason he left is not the money from Saudi Arabia. There is more to it than that.

If I was Ivan I would assign Pablo Garcia as interim coach to start the training in Holland and then make him assistant coach when we find Lucescu's replacement. The problem is that Lucescu's full team of assistants are leaving as well (I heard even Konstantinidis). It will be tough to find replacements in the next 2 days. This was big "p*****a" by Lucescu. He should have left in May after winning the double. 

My hunch is that we will end up with a Portuguese coach. And I am not talking about Santos, although I would not say no to him.

Listening to some radio stations where they are claiming that Lucescu was against all the transfers that Branco was bringing (Rodrigo, Douglas, Stoch), and that he was insisting on keeping Shakhov and Canas instead.

That's a great question. I do not think we were breaking the bank with him.

Blackhawk, his conservative player choices might make that opposition plausible, but then again it could just be sour grapes on the part of whoever reported it. Four million euros is a LOT of money.

-edit- teke, to answer the second part of your post, I think we can go pretty high - I believe we paid Huub Stevens over a million. And that was five years ago.

Edited by pash
  • Like it 1

Great point about Huub ... what a waste that was ... honestly if the reports of E4M per season are true - well it's hard to fault a guy. I've been searching and unofficially, it sounds like he was making 440k plus bonuses. 10x upgrade. Wow. 

If we lose an entire staff that is really tough. I don't know how Garcia's style compares to Razvan but if someone comes in and wants to implement a new system, we may end up kissing our hopes of CL groups goodbye. And if that happens - our country coefficient is F@@@ed. That means 1 CL (2nd Round Qualifiers!) team, 0 Europa League, and 3 Europa League 2 sides beginning in 2021 I think. Disaster. 

• Blackhawk changed the title to PAOK FC Head Coach (Razvan Lucescu)