Phantis Forums

PAOK FC Head Coach (Razvan Lucescu)

Blackhawk

Apparently besides the money which is what makes the world go round....there's also reports that he had issues with Ivans son, who allegedly was more involved in the club affairs and player scouting/hiring than the manager was comfortable with.

Έφυγε και λόγω Γ. Σαββίδη ο Λουτσέσκου!

• Like it 1

Wow, I'm shocked. The last thing I expected find out waking up this morning. First of all thank you to Razvan, he came and proved many of us (myself included) wrong. He got to us to the top of Greek football again something we had only dreamed of for so many years. Because of the season he just had, he'll forever be a PAOK legend, so thank you Razvan for that you've been fantastic. 

As for the timing of this, he really has F***ed us here. 2 days out from leaving for Holland the whole pre-season has been planned around him and his assistants now they're gone. Whoever takes over is going to be up against it from day one, taking over a preseason he's had no control of organizing. Trying to get a squad onside who, may or may not be sh1tty about their championship winning coach walking out.

What had helped us be successful over the past 2 seasons was continuity, the core of the squad was the same for 3 seasons and the coach for 2, we saw the results. Hopefully this doesn't take us back to the days of a coaching merry-go-round. PAE are in a tough spot now, Lucescu really has left us with sh1te in our lap

Edited by paokarag4
  • Like it 1

Lucescu I will miss thee.  Yes, he's done the dirty in terms of the timing but this is now the second time after Ivic that a manager has left when things seemed rosy.  The club is at fault for not locking him down.  Should have offered him a 5 year contract at 1 million a year minimum.

The simplest theory that it's purely over dollars, I don't quite buy it.  I suspect it's more likely that there were issues over players the club were bringing in and letting go that Lucescu didn't agree with.  I wish Lubos Michel was still TD.  Lucescu probably saw others calling the shots and felt undermined and thought why the heck am I fighting this when I can cash in.  I've done what I had to do, sayonara.

I don't think Lucescu is irreplaceable in terms of pedigree.  There are many good managers out there.  The question is whether they are available at this time and if they would even care to and manage in the prestigious GSL.  A good manager, that unites the team and who is *loved* is something that isn't easy to find.

Let's see what the club does now.  It's hard for a new manager to make his mark.  Many players in the squad will feel betrayed and it's this small drop in performance and passion that makes all the differences.  The newspapers, oh the names that will be thrown around.

What is Stanojevic up to these days, is he available ?

• Like it 1

Another name is Abel Ferreira, who coaches Braga. Seems a bit young to me.

-edit- Daddy Lucescu is saying OF COURSE his son is leaving because we aren't building a team that can compete in the CL. So it seems that Lucescu really was upset with player choices.

Edited by pash

Looks like the team announced it, 2mm to break the contract. He'll meet the team in the morning.

Our new team manager is Karypidis btw. Congrats to him as well!

I haven't heard word if Garcia becoming an assistant coach but would not be surprised if that happens.

-edit- because I can't help myself:

Edited by pash

I guess it's good we got our first choice. 2 full seasons at Braga he finished 4th both seasons with them. Solid result. His first season in charge he managed to get Braga to the round of 32 in the Europa league before being knocked out by Marseille (who made the final that season) This season they were bundled out in the the third qualifying round.  

He's young, which is a positive, won't be a dinosaur set in his ways. All in all it's a big ask, taking over a ready made squad that's already signed 4 or so players this transfer window, walking into a pre-season that you've had no say in designing, and Champions league qualifiers just 6 weeks away. We do have a lot of friendlies, hopefully they are enough and he gets to know the squad over the next month and a half. 

Lucescu left because he didn't get to keep a player he wanted and he didn' get to buy the player he wanted. He apparantly got offered a really good deal, so he wouldn't  leave for money but decided to leave because he was but-hurt about something. Paoks transfers in the last few years where pretty much on-point so what the management was doing I believe was right.

I never ever thought that lucescu was a irreplaceable coach. I didn't like how sometimes paok would get stuck in the midfield, where there was nothing driving the attack. Was it lucescu fault? Maybe? Perhaps it was the formation? Did he ever even request better midfielders? Probably never, did he propose an offensive midfield? Our last few transfers where all concentrated on attackers, defenders, and wingers, nothing ever was really done for the midfield. (I dont think Oliviera helped the flow of play) 

Funny enough a lot of goals came from Viehrinha, when he abandoned his defensive position and pushed forwards and acted like a pure midfielder. When he did that against benfica, suddenly, Paok was threatening. So next year we wont have a  Vieirinha abandoning his defensive position to score goals and create chances, and yet we didn't get a midfielder? Its seems like something is missing here.

He cruised the 2nd half of the league, probably  due to the firepower he had, but even then the managed to draw games he should had won. I still think Paok would had won the league this year even if it had a different coach. 

Edited by Nilaul

2 hours ago, paokarag4 said:

I guess it's good we got our first choice. 2 full seasons at Braga he finished 4th both seasons with them. Solid result. His first season in charge he managed to get Braga to the round of 32 in the Europa league before being knocked out by Marseille (who made the final that season) This season they were bundled out in the the third qualifying round.  

He's young, which is a positive, won't be a dinosaur set in his ways. All in all it's a big ask, taking over a ready made squad that's already signed 4 or so players this transfer window, walking into a pre-season that you've had no say in designing, and Champions league qualifiers just 6 weeks away. We do have a lot of friendlies, hopefully they are enough and he gets to know the squad over the next month and a half. 

Well theirs still room for transfers, so if he or the management believes something is necessary then he will probably get it. I wouldn't think he would accept a position at Paok if they didn't allow him additional transfers. He's style of play might not be that compatible with the players at disposal. 

Good choice with Ferreira IMHO. Predicted here first to borrow a line from the sleazy Greek press. At least we did not end up with someone like Ouzounidis. Would not mind having Garcia as assistant coach so the coaching staff would have some perspective on Greek soccer.

5 minutes ago, Nilaul said:

Did he ever even request better midfielders? Probably never, did he propose an offensive midfield? Our last few transfers where all concentrated on attackers, defenders, and wingers, nothing ever was really done for the midfield. 

This is a good point. I remember he once said in an interview "I never ask for specific names." But I also have read what people (here and on other sites) have said in the past few days about how he REALLY wanted to keep Canas and Shakhov. I am fine with both leaving, just as I would have been fine with keeping Shakhov (less so Canas). Over all, he was able to get his players to play for him, which is what made him so effective (and the sheer firepower in the team allowed him to cruise, as you said).

With that said, he was extremely conservative with player choice. It is very hard to get him to switch it up, and I think that hurt us a bit. Ferreira will have to use the same system to start (I have heard he prefers a 4-4-2 with two CMs, which is actually the formation I think Lucescu wanted to move us to), and as said above, there should be time to get him another player if he really wants it. As long as he doesn't pull a Stanojevic and lose the confidence of the players, I think he will be fine.

2 million per year for Ferreira ?  Lucescu did a number on us ha ha.  With that kind of salary, I expect nothing less than the title (with no losses of course) and the Cup (preferably against AEX again).  A re Lucescu, you're the winner.

Gotta spend money to make big dick moves like this.

Looks like he's bringing 5 dudes with him, in addition toAlexandros Maniatoglou (Santos's old translator/assistant), who will be moving back to PAOK take up those duties for Ferreira.

It's tough for a new coach to come to an already well established team (in terms of chemistry).  Hopefully he can get  good use of our entire roster in the friendlies coming up so he can come up with his take on strategy, etc.  Some coach's are set on their ways and won't adapt to their roster, like tudor who insisted on running a 3-5-2 type of system, and didn't snap out of it until he already had one foot out the door.

• 2 weeks later...

Ευτυχώς έχουμε ακόμα αρκετό καιρό μέχρι να παίξουμε το πρώτο επίσημο παιχνίδι. Ελπίζω να βγάλει γρήγορα συμπεράσματα ο άνθρωπος και ο Σαββίδης να του φέρει τους παίκτες που θέλει γιατί θα είμαστε πολύ δύσκολα.

Χωρίς Βιεϊρίνια, Μαουρίσιο, με νέο σύστημα και παίκτες που ήταν να φύγουν, τελικά μείνανε, αλλά μπορεί και να φύγουν δεν μας βλέπω για Τσάμπιονς Λιγκ.

Tomorrow at 14:00 EEST, PAE PAOK will officially present the new coach Abel Ferreira at the Macedonia Palace hotel. The event is open only to accredited press (the scum of the earth), but will be presented live on PAOK TV.

• Blackhawk changed the title to PAOK FC Head Coach (Razvan Lucescu)