Phantis Forums

PAOK History in Europe

Blackhawk

• 1 month later...

We are the first team in Europe (not being a summer championship like in Norway, Sweden and other Northern European Countries) that is qualified for next years European season through the league. Man. City is qualified too, but through the League Cup.

I was aware we were qualified but not we were the first. Saw it here: https://kassiesa.home.xs4all.nl/bert/uefa/qual2019.html

Edited by Dutch Eagle
Forgot the link
  • Like it 2

On 3/10/2019 at 2:12 AM, Dutch Eagle said:

We are the first team in Europe (not being a summer championship like in Norway, Sweden and other Northern European Countries) that is qualified for next years European season through the league. Man. City is qualified too, but through the League Cup.

I was aware we were qualified but not we were the first. Saw it here: https://kassiesa.home.xs4all.nl/bert/uefa/qual2019.html

This site has been around for a long time.  At least 10 or so years that I know of.  I am very impressed by whoever runs it.  He does a better job than UEFA.

• Like it 1

• 2 months later...

And so we ended on #64 after this season in the UEFA 5-year clubranking with 23,500 points.

Next year we start at #68 with 18,500 points. As we are guaranteed to reach the play-offs in EL we will collect 1,500 points for sure. But others in our neighbourhood like Galatasaray will collect 4,000 points for sure as they have a spot in GS CL. 

• 5 months later...

Pash has his Transfer News and Rumors. Bananas his Midyear Analysis. My guilty pleasure is this topic. And have I got news for you.

We have 21.000 as coefficient next year. Lets assume we will be crowned again as champions.

No BATE in the CL qualifiers as Dinamo Brest clinched the title in Belarus. Yes, it is this club that kicked out Atromitos last season and where Maradona was chairman a few days. Their coefficient is < 5.000.

Djurgarden (and not Malmö) is the champion in Sweden and they have also a coefficient of < 5.000. 

Molde (and not Rosenborg) is the champion of Norway and they are also below us with 15.000

Unfortunately Astana managed to extend their reign in Kazachstan as Tobol Kostanai and Kairat Almaty bottled at the end (or was it ......?) and their coefficient is 22.000   

All other countries with summer-Championships are not that important. 

• Like it 1

• 2 months later...

The Netherlands is hit by “Ciara”. So no football for me and better to stay in your house. My wife and I started to sort our photo’s and other stuff. Saw this ticket. First time my wife went to PAOK (and we just met a month earlier):

38E5AC3E-E1B7-4B2A-9629-006844E6C566.jpeg

• Like it 4

16 hours ago, Dutch Eagle said:

The Netherlands is hit by “Ciara”. So no football for me and better to stay in your house. My wife and I started to sort our photo’s and other stuff. Saw this ticket. First time my wife went to PAOK (and we just met a month earlier):

38E5AC3E-E1B7-4B2A-9629-006844E6C566.jpeg

What a game, man!

I remember that match vividly. I was only 10 years old at the time and watched it on tv in Athens. When Stefanos Borbokis (my dad's 1st cousin) scored the winner late in the game I went absolutely crazy. I was probably the only person cheering in Athens that night lol. The next day I was buying all the newspapers to cut out any pictures of Borbokis so i could bring back to Sydney.

Edited by SydneyPAOK
  • Like it 3

• 4 months later...

Okay so I was chatting with my quote-friendly friend @PaokCT and figured I'd post this here. I know it's very early and I may be jinxing the team, but I like this stuff so I'm gonna do it.

For CL qualifying next season, we would get into the second round (assuming of course we end the SL in second place, of course). This round has six second-place teams, which this season will be from Turkey, Netherlands, Austria, Czech Republic, Greece, and Croatia. Two of those teams are already known - Viktoria Plzen (34 coefficient points) and AZ Alkmaar (18.5 coefficient points).

Turkey's #2 is Trabzonspor, who is banned from UEFA competitions - if results hold, that means Sivasspor will be get Turkey's QR2 slot. I don't know how likely this is as they're only two points up from Galatasaray (with one more game played), but let's assume they make it through - Sivasspor would just have Turkey's league bonus, which looks to be 5.72 next season (Galatasaray is 23.5).

Austria's runner up is Rapid Wien (22), which has 32 points in the league. They have a game in hand and a narrow lead over LASK (14 points) and Wolfsberg (6.585), who both have 31 points in the league - so things can change there as well.

In Croatia, Tudor's old team - Hajduk Split (7.5) - is in second place, with 54 points. They are ahead based on goal differential vs Lokomotiva (4.1). Neither of them can be seeded above us, so this race doesn't really matter, though I'd prefer the worse team to go through.

PAOK has 21 points going into this next season.

So if the current standings do not change, this is what we're looking at:

Seeded:

Viktoria Plzen (34)

Rapid Wien (22)

PAOK (21)

Unseeded:

AZ Alkmaar (18.5)

Sivasspor (5.72)

Hajduk (7.5)

Worst case (and more likely):

Viktoria Plzen (34)

Galatasaray (23.5)

Rapid Wien (22)

Unseeded:

PAOK (21)

AZ Alkmaar (18.5)

Hajduk (7.5)

Best case:

Viktoria Plzen (34)

PAOK (21)

AZ Alkmaar (18.5)

Unseeded:

LASK (14)

Sivasspor (5.72)

Lokomotiva (4.1)

Right now, we need to hope Sivasspor remains ahead of Galatasaray and Besiktas, who would both be seeded ahead of us. In Austria, we need to hope Rapid Wien drops into third place - that would help us if Sivasspor falls, and would also provide us with an easier potential matchup against an unseeded team. Rapid going to the EL would also mean we could avoid AZ, which would be huge.

• Like it 1

It's embarrassing how easily I forget this guy's name. He really does a great job.

So looking at that, we've got a lot of potential terrible matchups for Q3. Assuming no unseeded teams win in Q3. I just know we're going to get Benfica.

Re PaokCT's Sivasspor fixtures - they play Kasimpasa (isn't that where Campos went?), Yeni Malatyaspor, Fenerbahce, Genclerbirligi, and Goztepe. Most of those are definitely doable. But keep in mind Galatasaray doesn't play any *good* teams either, from what I can see. I still think they're more likely to get a better record out of their final games, sadly.

Looking at that spreadsheet, if we get through Q2 and don’t face Benfica, I like our chances. If we beat the higher ranked team then we will be ranked for the playoff correct? Wouldn’t we take the coefficient of the team we beat? 

Edited by PaokCT

4 hours ago, PaokCT said:

If we beat the higher ranked team then we will be ranked for the playoff correct? Wouldn’t we take the coefficient of the team we beat? 

Depends when matches are played and when draws take place.

Just checked. Only that of Q3 as both draws of Q3 and PO are held before Q3 and PO are played and after Q2 is played.

So, if we are unseeded in Q2 draw Plzen, beat them we still will have our own coeff of 21 for the Q3-draw.

If we in Q3 draw one of the top 2 seeds in the spreadsheet (now Benfica or Dynamo Kiev), beat them we will take their coeff and will be seeded in PO

• Like it 1
  • Thanks 1

I do *not* want to play Galatasaray, who would be the only one that would be seeded against us. So if I have a choice, I'd take the unseeded Turks over the seeded ones...

• Blackhawk changed the title to PAOK History in Europe