Phantis Forums

Greek Pontian XI

To make matters more confusing, didn't PAO have two players named Giorgios Georgiadis back in the 1990s? One was G.C. Georgiadis who later played for PAOK and was a squad player at the Euro 2004 finals.

Georgios Charalambous Georgiadis and

Georgios Savva Georgiadis.

PAO also had a player named Georgios Georgiadis in the 1960s.

• 1 month later...

Guys, I remember having a pretty big discussion about this on the gs.com forums. Would it be accurate to say that there are many Pontians whose last names are Papadopoulos? I heard it somewhere and it makes sense because many Greeks with the last name of Papadopoulos come from the north.

Also, any Pontian all time starting 11 has to include Torosidis.

My yiayias maiden name is Papadopoulos, and she is pontian

My last name is also pontian and it ends in 'zis'

Not all pontian names end in 'idis'

However majority of them do

Tsalouchidis former Olympiakos, and Georgiadis formerly of PAO, PAOK & Newcastle. Its possible I did make some errors, a lot of the players were before my time and I could only really go by reputation and what I had read. Feel free to post your own XI, I'm sure there are some great players I've left out that I did not know were Pontian

Edited by Pontos

• 1 month later...

While I knew Mitroglou was of Romani origin I've recently read he also stated that he has Pontic roots from his father. The town in Pontos which they hail from is called Bafra. 

A revised squad.

________Mitroglou___Klaus_________
____________Fetfatzidis____________
Klonaridis__________________Aravidis
____________Tachtsidis____________
Stafylidis Tavlaridis Khacheridi Torosidis
_____________Lodygin_____________

• 2 months later...

While I knew Mitroglou was of Romani origin I've recently read he also stated that he has Pontic roots from his father. The town in Pontos which they hail from is called Bafra. 

A revised squad.

________Mitroglou___Klaus_________

____________Fetfatzidis____________

Klonaridis__________________Aravidis

____________Tachtsidis____________

Stafylidis Tavlaridis Khacheridi Torosidis

_____________Lodygin_____________

Hello Pontos,

can you name any other current football player from Pontos? What about Salpi and Dimi Papadopoulos, are they also?

And can you name any football club pre-1922 of Pontian heritage? I only found club from Merzifon.

Tnx in advance!

• 3 weeks later...

Salpingidis and D. Papadopoulos are two, you're right, others off the top of my head are 

Fytanidis (Atromitos)

Mystakidis (PAOK)

Tsilianidis (Iraklis)

Konstantinidis (PAOK)

Georgiadis (Veria)

There are still professional club's operating in Turkey, one named Beyoglu S.K, they are/were not exclusively Pontian (although had players of Pontian descent) but made up of the Greek community of Constantinoupoli. the other club  Kurtulus S.K is the oldest sports club in Turkey, it also was founded by Greeks in Constantinoupoli. 

Could you tell me more about the club you found from Merzifon? I've seen an image of footballers from Ponto but don't know much about it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beyo%C4%9Flu_S.K.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurtulu%C5%9F_SK

Edited by Pontos

• 3 years later...
On 11/20/2015 at 12:09 PM, Pontos said:

Cool thread, interesting to see how influential Pontians have been in Greek society post-population exchange. Is Mitroglou really part Romani/gypsy?