Phantis Forums

NT Coaches

Guest PastMember

I never said that our results and performance were acceptable. This campaign has been the worst in many many decades. Losing to the Faroe Islands is totally unacceptable for professional players.

What the true story is I am not sure but it's not down to the quality of the playing group.

We have starters at Benfica, Borussia Dortmund, Roma and other Serie A teams as well as players making a difference in the GSL and they can't beat part time fisherman?

The standard of the league is a concern but its nit Asteras' fault.

Asteras (yes I'm biased) have earnt their place in the GSL and Europe and are a force in Greece. Tell Besiktas and Partizan Belgrade what they think of Asteras. This year the club has a shocking injury crisis yet they are still competitive. They also have Greek players that are improving. Giannou, Fountas and Kourbelis are on the periphery of the Ethniki and are not far off from being selected. They don't need to be playing for a 1990s Era Big 3 club to prove that they are good enough.

The fact that that they come from a small town is a strength to the GSL. Do we need 10 clubs from Athens?

Akratitos, Apollon Athinon, Athinaikos, Panionios, Egaleo, Kalithea, Thrasyvoulos etc only ever make up the numbers. They aren't improving the standard for which you are continually jumping up about.

Historical clubs like AEK returning are helping the standard of the league. It's only a matter of time before ARIS and Larissa and potentially OFI get themselves sorted and return however there is a place for Xanthi and Asteras. If they are getting results then their place in the league is justified.

So it's a mute point. Stop banging on about it.

• Like it 1

• 2 weeks later...

Skibbe's stint as coach of u18's of Germany will hopefully bring a strong structure for the Ethniki. FC Schalke means he'll bring man management. Being a former midfielder means he can rescue our midfield play. 

Just read on 442 forums that Greece chased Postacoglou but could not get him away from the Socceroos as he is contracted till end of 2018, so they turned their attention to Magath.Skibbe is still not over the line. Interesting Clink!

I really hope Skibbe works out well for us. His cv isn't the worst, he has worked at Dortmund, Leverkusen and Frankfurt in the past. As for his time in Turkey we all know how Greek and Turkish boards are, very inpatient and sack managers every year. He spent four years as Germany's assistant manager which included the 2002 world cup. Lets hope he can bring the organisation and discipline back to our Ethniki. Greece doesn't need the greatest's of managers, we just need someone decent who will bring discipline.

• Like it 1

Everything has been agreed with Skibbe and Tsanas will be one of his assistants, he is expected to sign this week. Regarding the appointment of Skibbe, of course I would have preferred a manger with a better CV, however that does guarantee a manager with a better CV would do a better job. Its not always about having a great cv. Look at Huub Stevens at Paok

Truth is that Skibbe is probably the best in a long list of mediocre and uninspiring candidates that have been thrown up the last month.

Seriously, Alex McLeish was apparently spoken about FFS!

Skibbe at least has NT experience with Germany albeit at a poor stage of their history. He's only 50 years old and he can't possibly be as bad as Tsanas.

From reading the tweets on him I notice the Turks think he is a joke. No better way to regain some credibility by turning the "pirate ship" around.

Let's see who he calls up for the Luxembourg friendly. I remain open-minded. Even with Tsanas in the picture.

Skibbe has indeed achieved 1 cup in Turkey. I'm laughing at how bad his record is. I know all that.

Better him than Martin Joll or McLeish. I'm just hoping that EPO get lucky with him. They are completely inept as we all know. The Schuster decision proves it but we were never going to get a higher caliber manager.

Skibbe needs to be a psychologist though. I hope he has a f***ing clue because his record is abysmal.

Congrats to Skibbe for landing Greece role as head coach. Better hope he fails cause there's a lot of egg to get thrown around if they respond to him.

Edited by ausgreek

How many years did Skibbe sign on for? Just up until the end of the World Cup qualifiers?

Uninspiring is an understatement but didn't expect anything major. Oh well he is much better than that fraud McLeish!

3 years 

• Like it 1

From the info I've seen, not very happy about this.

Ranieri had a better pedigree. As did Santos, and Otto.

But hey, I'd love to be proven wrong.

He's a young manager, so hopefully he has a chip on his shoulder or his best days will be with the ethiniki.

Edited by georgelaz
  • Like it 1

Otto had a great record before coming to Greece but he had many fails in Germany too. What he did with Greece at the 2004 Euros is amazing. The world recognizes this, but after 2004 he was a stubborn failure. Qualifying for the 2008 Euro and 2010 were achievements, but those tournaments were a disgrace. Worst team at Euro 2008 and pathetic and negative displays against Sth Korea and Argentina.

He never fully regenerated the group nor properly planned for the future. His tactics and style of play has tarnished Greek football for a decade now.

I was all for Ranieri but clearly he had no idea how to motivate our players. I remain optimistic that Skibbe can steer the Ethniki in the right direction.

• Like it 1

The Sweden game Ottos plan was basically to nullify Ibra via big tall centre backs - hence 3 centrebacks (including Antzas at 6'5)

by nullifying Ibra, and being proficient in set plays, pop a goal of a corner or free kick via karagounis.

it wasn't our night though

Edited by georgelaz

• Dutch Eagle locked, unlocked and pinned this topic