Phantis Forums

NT Coaches

Guest PastMember

6 hours ago, Dean97 said:

I’ve got a question though... What will Basinas bring to the table that Vryzas didn’t?

Can’t tell you for sure.  It’s just a feeling.  But I think they’re just going for someone new  to start fresh.  And honestly, I’ve *never* heard a bad word about Basinas.  He’s always had that image of being a good honest guy that jut works hard.

I liked the interview where Angel said he only needs one minute to sort a player out, ha ha.  I hope he has the boys frothing at the mouth come game time.

• Like it 1

The first of this coach's errors to be pointed out.. too many AM or second strikers. Fortounis, Mantalos, Pelkas, Bakasetas, Karelis. Two of these guys should of been wingers. Lazaros, Manthatis, Fetfa Gianniotas..no speed on the edge. Karelis and Baskets are surplus to requirements. 

• Thanks 1

Guys, I put a considerable amount of blame for this loss on Ange A. He took this game vs Estonia for granted and approached it like a friendly. It wasn't enough that the team was absolutely ravaged by injuries going into yesterday's match, but he decided to sit players like Vlachodimos, Fortounis, Torosidis, Koutris and Pelkas, suddenly send our only in-form striker in Koulouris down to play with the U21s, and, barring Sokratis and maybe Zeca, start our B/C team.

No, luck did not go our way whatsoever, but the decisions made by Ange leading up to this match, and the consequences of this pitiful loss, may realistically set Greece back years. 

• Like it 1

I have to disagree. It’s early days. I put more blame on the players. Estonia is a really bad team. Our b or c team should easily beat them. The coach is also to blame but, hopefully now he has seen what he has seen and analysed what he has to do next time. He also needs to find a way to make this team gel. Maybe change the system. I mostly believe the player selections are root to the problem. It’s been like that for a while.

I agree the players are to blame but when you put a bunch of new guys together all at once they will just try and do thigs themselves and don't know how to play with each other. Also the coach should have been better prepared and watched video of what happened last time we played Estonia in Athens with an experimental line up in Athens were Estonia draw us because of Skibes line up which almost cost us a playoff against Croatia.. I will give the coach a pass for now but it's not a good start and a loss like this sucks the blood and confidence out of a team... Not a good look...

Read Socratis Article on sport 24. This is exactly what I was talking about in building confidence. He said

" Maybe we can't do any better, I'm really starting to believe that."

"I don't like coming to play in Greece for the NT when we keep losing to teams that are so beneath us"

"The coaches are not the problem"

This is not a good sign when your leaders lose all faith and confidence and don't believe in the team anymore.. I see this turning into a disaster now going forward... I also believe any excitement and new air the players had for the new coach is out the window now as realty just set back in and the main players and leaders don't believe themselves anymore...

Edited by J1078

9 hours ago, Argy said:

Guys, I put a considerable amount of blame for this loss on Ange A. He took this game vs Estonia for granted and approached it like a friendly. It wasn't enough that the team was absolutely ravaged by injuries going into yesterday's match, but he decided to sit players like Vlachodimos, Fortounis, Torosidis, Koutris and Pelkas, suddenly send our only in-form striker in Koulouris down to play with the U21s, and, barring Sokratis and maybe Zeca, start our B/C team.

No, luck did not go our way whatsoever, but the decisions made by Ange leading up to this match, and the consequences of this pitiful loss, may realistically set Greece back years. 

Sending Koulouris is a no brainer. That match is way more important than the Estonia match. I hate hearing about injuries and so forth. Every team has them. It’s Estonia we’re talking about. No excuses. None at all. 

6 hours ago, Jimmyp said:

Sending Koulouris is a no brainer. That match is way more important than the Estonia match. I hate hearing about injuries and so forth. Every team has them. It’s Estonia we’re talking about. No excuses. None at all. 

Yes it was Estonia. My point was not that we got unlucky injuries, but, rather, seeing that we only had a limited number of A-team players at our disposal due to those injuries, it was a mistake to leave out most of the few available, and approach this game as if it were some friendly. 

8 hours ago, J1078 said:

Read Socratis Article on sport 24. This is exactly what I was talking about in building confidence. He said

" Maybe we can't do any better, I'm really starting to believe that."

"I don't like coming to play in Greece for the NT when we keep losing to teams that are so beneath us"

"The coaches are not the problem"

This is not a good sign when your leaders lose all faith and confidence and don't believe in the team anymore.. I see this turning into a disaster now going forward... I also believe any excitement and new air the players had for the new coach is out the window now as realty just set back in and the main players and leaders don't believe themselves anymore...

This is why when the team is in a fragile state, as it has been for a while, and even more so now with a new coach and injuries to key players, it is paramount to field our best players, attack our opponents and achieve a positive result. 

IMO weak decisions by our new manager. 

32 minutes ago, Argy said:

This is why when the team is in a fragile state, as it has been for a while, and even more so now with a new coach and injuries to key players, it is paramount to field our best players, attack our opponents and achieve a positive result. 

IMO weak decisions by our new manager. 

I completely agree.. Any confidence we built in the Finland game was thrown out the window after the Estonia game.. It was a very bad move to choose to field d that line up... A loss to a team like Estonia and it shatters your confidence..I also disagree with socratis comments as a leader you don’t come out publicly and say maybe we aren’t good enough, you just don’t do that.. He could have said a bunch of different things but when the young guys here that especially in the U21 it doesn’t send a good message..

Edited by J1078

3 hours ago, J1078 said:

I completely agree.. Any confidence we built in the Finland game was thrown out the window after the Estonia game.. It was a very bad move to choose to field d that line up... A loss to a team like Estonia and it shatters your confidence..I also disagree with socratis comments as a leader you don’t come out publicly and say maybe we aren’t good enough, you just don’t do that.. He could have said a bunch of different things but when the young guys here that especially in the U21 it doesn’t send a good message..

Yeah I agree. Sokratis shouldn’t of said something like that. It’s not that he can do any better, he is the defender I think he was indirectly talking about our midfield and attacking players. Can they do any better?

I like Samaris but he doesn’t like to shoot which is an issue. I’ve singled him out because he plays with a confidence in our midfield and is sharp. He is also technically better with the ball I believe.  Unlike the others. 

I liked the combination of him and Taxi and I would have liked to see this be given more of a chance. I d play Samaris as the 6 and Bouzoukis as the 8. Fortounis can stay for now. Then the wide attacking players should Donis and either Chatzigiovannis or Fetfa. Up front I want to see Karelis. This would be different, fresh and more importantly unpredictable. 

I think the reason the Karagounis and Katsouranis era were successful was because the attack back then were unpredictable. The wide attackers would run down the line sprinting for example Samaras and Salpingidis. Mantalos and Pelkas wouldn’t do this for some reason. They are not that slow either. 

Another example would be when Salpingidis would set up Mitroglou’s goal in the match against Romania to qualify for the wc. The team now looks like they are afraid to make a mistake. Then they would start shooting instead of passing and then pass instead of shooting. We need players with balls, hunger and talent.

• Like it 1

7 hours ago, Dean97 said:

I liked the combination of him and Taxi and I would have liked to see this be given more of a chance. 

Did you miss the Euro 2016 qualifiers?

Also FYI, Ninis plays more thank Tachtsidis atm. Taxi has not played a minute this seaso 

• Like it 2

Even though I would like a major overhaul of this team by this coach I can’t see it happening since he only signed a 1 year deal and if he doesn’t get us into the Euros he will be gone... If the EPO signed a coach for a couple years with the expectations of making big changes and working with the youngsters who come up then fine but for now Angelos job is to somehow get these guys to the Euros so he won’t  tear up this team completely unfortunately...

@AchillesHeel I completely agree with you.. This is exactly what is needed.. The problem is how do you work implement a new group of players and a new system with no friendless? I believe the Nations league has eliminated teams scheduling friendlies that was its main purpose. So even though their is time before the Euro in March it’s not like we can work on anything on the field.. We need to make major changes and those changes will come with short term failure but hopeful we gain long term success.. It’s the only way.. When we consistently lose to teams like Faroe, Estonia, Luxembourg, N Ireland, Hungary, Finland with this group of players we can forget about qualifying for any tournament.. Even tho I like Toro and Socratis I don’t think they provide the proper leadership In the change room IMO.. Each new coach that comes in looks for a bandaid solution by just adding a piece or two and eventually just doing what the previous coach did that failed.. The only way to turn this around is suffer for a while until this current core is gone and new blood takes over...

Edited by J1078

19 hours ago, J1078 said:

I agree with your take on Sokratis. He is a great leader and one of the best players that Greece has ever produced, but he can't be saying things like that. He played his heart out and most of his teammates weren't able to keep up. It was his frustration talking. 

10 hours ago, Alphonse said:

Did you miss the Euro 2016 qualifiers?

Also FYI, Ninis plays more thank Tachtsidis atm. Taxi has not played a minute this seaso 

Yeah I know. I find them more accurate with there passes going forward than Zeca and Kourbelis though. What we really need is someone with a strong presence there. Who that person is I don’t know. I’m in for a massive clear out of the team. Start picking the most deserving and most talent and go from their. 

Edited by Dean97

Confirmed pots after Nations league.. It’s going to be a very difficult challenge being in pot 4...

Euro 2020 Seeding

Pot 1

Belgium, Croatia, England, France, Netherlands, Italy, Portugal, Spain, Switzerland, Poland

Pot 2

Germany, Iceland, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Ukraine, Denmark, Russia, Austria, Wales, Czech Republic, Sweden

Pot 3

Slovakia, Turkey, Republic of Ireland, Northern Ireland, Norway, Serbia, Finland, Scotland, Bulgaria, Israel

Pot 4

Albania, Cyprus, Estonia, Georgia, Greece, Lithuania, Montenegro, Slovenia, Hungary, Romania

Pot 5

Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Gibraltar, Kazakhstan, Kosovo, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Moldova, Faroe Islands

Pot 6

Andorra, Latvia, Liechtenstein, San Marino, Malta

Edited by J1078

23 minutes ago, J1078 said:

Confirmed pots after Nations league.. It’s going to be a very difficult challenge being in pot 4...

Euro 2020 Seeding

Pot 1

Belgium, Croatia, England, France, Netherlands, Italy, Portugal, Spain, Switzerland, Poland

Pot 2

Germany, Iceland, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Ukraine, Denmark, Russia, Austria, Wales, Czech Republic, Sweden

Pot 3

Slovakia, Turkey, Republic of Ireland, Northern Ireland, Norway, Serbia, Finland, Scotland, Bulgaria, Israel

Pot 4

Albania, Cyprus, Estonia, Georgia, Greece, Lithuania, Montenegro, Slovenia, Hungary, Romania

Pot 5

Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Gibraltar, Kazakhstan, Kosovo, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Moldova, Faroe Islands

Pot 6

Andorra, Latvia, Liechtenstein, San Marino, Malta

J1078 my friend it sucks seeing Greece in pot 4 that's the thing that really annoys me. From Pot 1 I will take Poland and England all day compared to the other teams that have much more quality. Italy is struggling but I cant see them missing a 2nd major tournament in a row so I wouldn't want them but they would be my third choice. Lets just hope we avoid Germany from pot 2 and say Serbia from Pot 3 the other teams in that pot dont concern me that much.

Skibbe with all his short falls got Greece to the playoffs in a difficult WCUP group and if not for injury to Manolas we would have been more competitive vs Croatia. Lets hope we have everyone healthy and have a good set up from the coach and we should be in the mix for 2nd spot. I cant wait for the draw.

I’ll take Swiss Poland Netherlands maybe even Italy. Those teams I think could be had. No chance I’d take England. They might suck, but that’s a bad matchup. England’s speed would destroy perhaps the slowest team out there. The Greeks have a real hard time with faster less talented teams. Japan and South Korea come to mind. 

• Dutch Eagle locked, unlocked and pinned this topic