Phantis Forums

NT Coaches

Guest PastMember

GrkCdn22, I admire your loyalty and passion but I completely disagree with your Karagounis worship. Have you been following what's been coming out about Markarian's resgination and the talk around Karagounis? Karagounis has been the main cause of disfunction in the NT. He has been out of control with his diecsions and bias to the point that Markarian himself was so shocked and dissapointed he didn't want to deal with it.

I respect and fondly remember what Karagounis offered to the NT and his teams when he played but those days have long gone. He has shown to have no business around the Ethniki. All the fanboys can blame Ranieri for disastrous state of the NT but I think it's becone obvious and acknowledged that the hiring of Karagounis is the single most destructive decison taken in a decade.

Good riddance to him and I hope he stays in the wilderness for many years. He made Takis Fyssas look lik ethe greatest TD in the history of the sport.

I have said this before but just because you were part of something great does not give you the right to destroy it. The NT doesn't belong to Otto, or EPO or Santos and definitely not to a former player that was past it for the last 2 years of his career.

Hopefully EPO will make a swift and correct decision with the Technical Director position and coach and we build for the next WC.

• Like it 1

Hopefully EPO will make a swift and correct decision with the Technical Director position and coach and we build for the next WC.

This post is utterly terrifying. Zero confidence in that happening unless some miracle happens.

As for Karagounis, if it is true that he is a problem, I don't see how he can't get sacked as well. I find that entire relationship/situation odd though as Makarian was Kara's first and hand picked choice. Whatever the case,it doesn't look good with all that has come out.

at least they acted swiftly...and not it fester on and create a new clique around Kara....or whoever...

We need to separate Kara the captain and Kara the great footballer with Kara's ability to be TD/Manager?

maybe he can't...

no doubt Kara loves the NT as much as any of us...and wants what is best...he may just no have the ability,personality, and knowledge to translate that across from a Management perspective.

Doesn't seem to late to get Michel now.

We interviewed him, so he was second in line.

Would be nice if Markarian stayed - but classy move indeed.

I would have been curious if Ranieri's tinkering might have been fruitful if he was given a full euro campaign. (pure fantasy)

I always knew Ranieri was the wrong hiring, and I liked the hiring of Markarian. The fact that he resigned after an embarrassing loss at least shows he has class as opposed to the clown that would have let this crapshow continue as long as he could.

So Markarian is class for resigning but the same standards or logic don't apply to Karagounis as the TD?

Also when Karagounis, Katsouranis, Vydra & Salpi (to name the obvious main culprits) were still carrying their sorry carcasses around the field where was their "class" to admit they weren't good enough and retire? Different standards. Katalava.

I think we all want the best for the Ethniki but some on these forums are stuck in 2004.

So Markarian is class for resigning but the same standards or logic don't apply to Karagounis as the TD?

Also when Karagounis, Katsouranis, Vydra & Salpi (to name the obvious main culprits) were still carrying their sorry carcasses around the field where was their "class" to admit they weren't good enough and retire? Different standards. Katalava.

I think we all want the best for the Ethniki but some on these forums are stuck in 2004.

Why are they the main culprits or why should they have been retired? Karagounis retired after the World Cup, Katsouranis played only two matches (had a cameo role against Hungary and was arguably our best player against Poland) and the team performed better on these occasions than on any of the other games after the second round of the WC, Vyntra played only 11 minutes against NI, and he was in the starting XI against Finland and Poland (acceptable performances by him), Salpingidis played still less.  Or do you think Karagounis, Salpingidis and the other should have retired before the World Cup? They were among our strongest players (played regularly for the team on the qualification matches and in the final too, especially Karagounis showed there he has still got it). So why are they to blame for the hopeless production on the last year?

What do you mean by "he is right"? The players he mentioned played only a couple of matches in the last year. So why should they be culpable, first of all? And you wrote another harangue. I am glad. (Among others, Fyssas is now to blame for the recent losses and problems. No comment.)

I dont want discuss these matters again and again. One more time Ill try to explain this. Most of our midfielders are mediocre players. Santos played 37-y-o Karagounis and/or 35-y-o Katsouranis because he hadnt better midfielders. The younger "options" (Kone/Tachtsidis/Christodoulopoulos/Fetfatzidis) STINK. This could be seen in the last year fairly well. Even Maniatis is not so good, but he does at least the dirty work. As for the others, Samaris, Kone and the others are at this moment at most average. Tziolis too, but he is more diligent. After Karagounis retired and Katsouranis (for a couple of months) disappeared, the younger midfielders you always wanted - the players I mentioned before - were horrible against Northern Ireland, the Faroe Islands and Romania. None of the new midfielders is on the same level as for example Karagounis, Zagorakis, Katsouranis or Basinas was. That this is a great problem (how to achieve outstanding results with - for the moment - zero outstanding midfielders) was proven against Hungary, when Maniatis wasnt available and Markari?n played Kyriakos Papadopoulos as a central midfielder, also one of the centre backs.

Yet I think with a proper match strategy (defense first + counterattacks & set-pieces), the Ethniki can achieve great things again, with some of these midfielders as starters too. Only the head coach should have rely on the players who can contribute most to the effective national team.

Edited by La Mendel

The soap opera continues. I don't know what is going on behind the scenes but there is and has been definitely something wrong with our NT post World Cup. I'm not part of the team nor do I pretend to know everything but I have drawn some of my own conclusions. Firstly my theory is that our players were promised money by EPO that they were entitled to for reaching the final 16 of the World Cup. The players as we all know and was made public declined the money and wanted all of it put towards the youth soccer and bettering the fields and training grounds for them. I have a strong hunch that our good old friendly EPO crooks never gave any money and thus the players all rebelled and never played for Ranieri or EPO from that point on. This is one theory that makes absolute sense to me and explains our poor results.

Another one is that Ranieri was brought in against the players wishes who never wanted Santos to leave and from what I am reading EPO did everything in their power to make sure he did and succeeded. Ranieri came in then soon to follow (Mr. can't stay away from the NT..... Karagounis). They had to find something for Karatoumba to do and gave him the TD position and everything spiraled from there. Knowing Karagounis he formed his clicka and turned players against Ranieri as he did when he was playing. He made sure to omit Holebas from selection and probably ruffled some feathers in the process. Get this guy far away from the NT he is a cancer. Him and Katsouranus. They were when they were playing and he continued to be past his playing days. He always had to be the center of attention. Never coming off (not even in friendlies), taking every free kick, every corner (when we had players with a way better leg than him especially as he got up there in age).

EPO obviously has no choice now as Markarian resigned and it is clear Kara had something to do with this as well. He obviously made promises to him when he was hired and told him he would have carte blanche for selections and that is not what transpired as the egomaniac had to flex his muscle and stick his nose in player selection and starting lineups. GOOD RIDDANCE!!!! Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out George.

We have time with the games left in this campaign to save face and climb the rankings again and win out possibly and get in some good friendlies and continue building positive results towards our World Cup qualifying campaign. I can't believe EPO allowed it to come to this. 

Edited by Makynia
  • Like it 1

• 2 weeks later...

As Reaper posted, karagounis and Markarian are history.

Great news correct?

Err no...the talk is that Karagounis's role will be filled by Nikolpolidis (Basinas, Charisteas and Lyberopoulos are also possibilities.

The new coach is most likely....wait for it.....

Aggelos Anastasiadis!

We are doomed and we will be in the footballing dark ages for generations! Greece's economy will recover by the time our national side does.

Talk about incompetent and short sighted! Please bring us back Fyssas and Ranieri!

I'll fall in to depression if these rumours are true!

We need to go into our last euro qualifiers with the coach that will be with us for the World Cup qualifiers. We cant keep changing coaches. Knowing the EPO they will probably hire a coach the day before our first world qualifier game. This is no way of finding our game and becoming a consistent team to many changes to close to competition.

There you go Karagounis released "yia sovaro logo" for a very serious reason. He is guilty to some degree of something and we'll probably never know the truth. You will see better results now that he's gone. Should have let him go off into the sunset after his final game at last years World Cup. Team will be much better off without him.

Edited by Makynia
  • Like it 1

• Dutch Eagle locked, unlocked and pinned this topic