Phantis Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Reaper

NT Coaches

Michel was not wanted by Karagounis. Michel was interested in the role and was interviewed by Karagounis.

Edited by Reaper

I know he interviewed him and Markarian, and then chose the latter, but he saw Markarians achievement wasnt so great, perhaps he is now more inclined to Michels appointment.

Edited by La Mendel

He wont go back to Michel. Karagounis is ego and vendettas like most Greeks. Look at what happened to Xolebas' NT career. The reasons Karagounis didn't choose Michel were to with his own feelings towards Olympiacos - football didn't even come into it.

I said from the day Ranieri and then Sergio were hired, they are terrible terrible choices. I expect the EPO to make another terrible decision and site lack of funds as a pre-excuse. A couple of years ago the EPO won a government ruling to hide their accounts, so no one will know how much money they have or siphon away. 

Edited by Reaper

Bielsa is having a rough time at Marseille. EPO should stop construction of their private swimming pools and offer him every last penny they have in that EPO account. Of course they will not. Karagounis will most likely be told to go cheap and find someone who has either coached PAO or PAOK at some stage.

The issue is the corrupt EPO leadership who are in it to launder money and line their pockets. They don't care anymore. Makarian doesn't want to be involved with them anymore and rightfully tried to get out. Rumors have it Karagounis is trying to do the same. The NT is toxic. Sarris and Co. successfully ran out Santos out of town and the team has never fully recovered as they tried to place their puppet Ranieri in charge. That's the real issue. Not the coach.

Get Karagounis and his klika away from the NT. I can't understand how he didn't think Michel was worthy of the job.

Man, he's lost a lot of credibility. No one has the right to trash something that's bigger than them and means a lot to many people.

• Like it 2

Michel would have been good. Karagounis didn't want a coach who would favour Olympiacos players... but he hired his former Panathinaikos coach! I love Kara but poor decision

I'm sure that exactly it Ethnikos. Kara didn't want Michel because he was the Oly coach. Not that Michel probably held out in finding a good club team situation rather than coach the train wreck that is the NT.

Michel was not holding out - he was interested. He cried publicly twice on leaving Greece - it was a very distressing situation for him and he stated more than once he was completely happy in Greece. He truly loves the country. It is sad Karagounis could not see past the Olympiacos label for the good of the country, but with someone of Karagounis' education and character, it was always going to be a disaster.

Interestingly, new AEK defender Arzo asked Michel if he should sign for AEK. Michel told him not to hesitate.

"

Edited by Reaper

How about we get rid of Karagounis and keep Markarian until he himself picks the next coach?

Karagounis has done way too much damage in his current role than the last 2 years of his time as a player.

Sergio is starting to spill the beans. This is getting interesting. He is talking today about people putting obstacles in his way.

Looks like Karagounis is getting all the venom he dished out back in his face. Guys, watch this space. Very rare a Greek s%$#!-stirrer gets his comeuppance. 

GrkCdn22, I admire your loyalty and passion but I completely disagree with your Karagounis worship. Have you been following what's been coming out about Markarian's resgination and the talk around Karagounis? Karagounis has been the main cause of disfunction in the NT. He has been out of control with his diecsions and bias to the point that Markarian himself was so shocked and dissapointed he didn't want to deal with it.

I respect and fondly remember what Karagounis offered to the NT and his teams when he played but those days have long gone. He has shown to have no business around the Ethniki. All the fanboys can blame Ranieri for disastrous state of the NT but I think it's becone obvious and acknowledged that the hiring of Karagounis is the single most destructive decison taken in a decade.

Good riddance to him and I hope he stays in the wilderness for many years. He made Takis Fyssas look lik ethe greatest TD in the history of the sport.

I have said this before but just because you were part of something great does not give you the right to destroy it. The NT doesn't belong to Otto, or EPO or Santos and definitely not to a former player that was past it for the last 2 years of his career.

Hopefully EPO will make a swift and correct decision with the Technical Director position and coach and we build for the next WC.

• Like it 2

Hopefully EPO will make a swift and correct decision with the Technical Director position and coach and we build for the next WC.

This post is utterly terrifying. Zero confidence in that happening unless some miracle happens.

As for Karagounis, if it is true that he is a problem, I don't see how he can't get sacked as well. I find that entire relationship/situation odd though as Makarian was Kara's first and hand picked choice. Whatever the case,it doesn't look good with all that has come out.

at least they acted swiftly...and not it fester on and create a new clique around Kara....or whoever...

We need to separate Kara the captain and Kara the great footballer with Kara's ability to be TD/Manager?

maybe he can't...

no doubt Kara loves the NT as much as any of us...and wants what is best...he may just no have the ability,personality, and knowledge to translate that across from a Management perspective.

Doesn't seem to late to get Michel now.

We interviewed him, so he was second in line.

Would be nice if Markarian stayed - but classy move indeed.

I would have been curious if Ranieri's tinkering might have been fruitful if he was given a full euro campaign. (pure fantasy)

Not even Katsouranis but the evil Karagounis is to blame for everything (and Ranieri certainly isnt). Its a strange opinion even if I take the intelligence of some posters into account.

• Like it 1

I always knew Ranieri was the wrong hiring, and I liked the hiring of Markarian. The fact that he resigned after an embarrassing loss at least shows he has class as opposed to the clown that would have let this crapshow continue as long as he could.

So Markarian is class for resigning but the same standards or logic don't apply to Karagounis as the TD?

Also when Karagounis, Katsouranis, Vydra & Salpi (to name the obvious main culprits) were still carrying their sorry carcasses around the field where was their "class" to admit they weren't good enough and retire? Different standards. Katalava.

I think we all want the best for the Ethniki but some on these forums are stuck in 2004.

• Like it 1