Phantis Forums

NT Coaches

Guest PastMember

I like how he said that “clubs don’t give young talented players a chance and that we have to work on this.” This is very important. We have recently seen the emergence of Tsimikas who has improved and performed very well this season. Has Champions and Europa Legaye experience and major sides are looking at him. We need the big 4 to trust the young Greek youth. I hope players like Androutsos, Risvanis, and even the players coming up form the youth side have more of an opportunity to play European football. 

It helps this with there growth and will help the national team. This is key in my opinion.

• Like it 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a recent article where JVS is talking about player selections and who wasn't called up for the friendlies in the US before it got cancelled. I think by this article we can honestly say Socratis, Manolas and Mitro are all done from the NT. You can see where he was asked about Socraits and Manolos  and he responded "we want players that will give 100% to the team"  That statement shows that these two were a big problem for the NT and he wants to move forward with new young talent and not moving backwards,

https://www.agonasport.com/agonasport-allnews/van-t-schip-we-will-choose-players-who-fight-for-the-national-team

• Like it 2

On 5/8/2020 at 1:12 AM, J1078 said:

Here is a recent article where JVS is talking about player selections and who wasn't called up for the friendlies in the US before it got cancelled. I think by this article we can honestly say Socratis, Manolas and Mitro are all done from the NT. You can see where he was asked about Socraits and Manolos  and he responded "we want players that will give 100% to the team"  That statement shows that these two were a big problem for the NT and he wants to move forward with new young talent and not moving backwards,

https://www.agonasport.com/agonasport-allnews/van-t-schip-we-will-choose-players-who-fight-for-the-national-team

I think they are done. Every time he’s asked about them he talks about having passion and they have to want to play for the team. I get this feeling that Manolas and Sokratis don’t want to be in the team anymore. Mitroglou is propably the same. Haven’t heard anything in the news about how they want to come back and give 100%. 

I think others like Zeca, Samaris and Fortounis nights have a chance of returning. If Fortounis comes back he has to give 100%. This team gives 100% effort and they don’t stop running. Fortounis has to do the same, otherwise he shouldn’t play. We look like we are going into the direction of playing players in the age region of 18-26. A few exceptions maybe here or there. Most of the players he was going to call up were players in that age region.

• Like it 3

• 2 weeks later...

If Manolas and Sokratis are done from NT I cant wait to see this guy who pretends to be the coach to be humiliated by any serious opposition he will face in the future. You probably havent noticed that Stafylidis sample as a CB was dreadful and he is going to use it again because of his huge ego, closing the door to our best players. Chatzidiakos tore his ACL while I have not seen Siovas (?) anywhere near the call ups who had another full season in Spain and could probably return to Olympiakos this summer.

Siovas has definitely been called up the last few times, he didn't play in the last matches v Armenia and Finland but he was in the squad. He played against Italy back in October. 

I do agree though, Stafylidis isn't a CB he was exposed against at best average opposition in Finland, I think we can get away with him there against the Armenia's of the world. The only thing that gives me some optimism that JVS knows this is that against Italy (quality opposition) he went with two traditional center backs Siovas and Xatzidiakos. 

COVID19 will probably mean Xatzidiakos doesn't miss any NT matches and is back to full fitness whenever international football returns. 

• Like it 2

Stafylidis is no longer a great option IMO, he obviously has some good leadership skills and that's important at the moment but on the field we have a stack of left backs who are better, better options at left wing and he should never play CB again, the guy is so error prone it's scary, he has also hardly played in Germany the last two seasons (!) which I think coincides with what I have said so at best a squad player but I think time to look beyond this player who needs to get his club career back on track.

Edited by Alphonse
  • Like it 1

Nice to hear some Ethniki talk during this frustrating time. I was really looking forward to the friendly game vs Holland that would have been a tough test. I agree with the points regarding Staf, I appreciate his service but we have better options available. I am curious to see if JVS will bring Sokratis and Manolas back. I think he leaves Sokratis out but Manolas could get back in especially if we have to go up a top class side like Belgium in World Cup qualifying. Anyone know when they will conduct the World Cup qualification draw since the Euros are next year.

• Like it 1

Based on how JVS has spoken in recent times I'd say it's looking unlikely they'll return, Sokratis especially given his age. Those 2 lads clearly have egos, not something foreign particularly in Greek football and the Ethniki. Now whether they change their ways and buy into what the NT is trying to build I don't know, I think Manolas is more likely given his age but then again he may just think it's not worth the hassle. It seems quite a few of the public in Greece have turned on them, and have linked our improved performances of late with their absence. Where there is smoke there's fire, they clearly where causing issues but at the same time no one can deny they are quality players who would be welcomed back with open arms if there was an attitude improvement. 

Unfortunately football isn't about just turning up, playing and going home. There is dynamics in the locker room, team morale senior players with a grudge can potentially poisoning younger generations. As much as I'd like to see it, I can't see them coming back anytime soon. 

• Like it 2

Good points by everyone. All I want to say is that Hatzidiakos has proven to be a very good CB. We looked much better playing out from the back. It’s mostly because of him. He is good technically which helps with our build up play. Sokratis should be done with the national team. I see Mavropanos, Retsos and Hatzidiakos all competing for that spot now. 

For me Manolas is a must in the team. His speed and all round play is needed. If he doesn’t want to play then don’t worry about him, if he does then he has to abide by what the coach wants. Out of the 2 Manolas is needed most. 

On 5/22/2020 at 1:17 PM, Boxou said:

If Manolas and Sokratis are done from NT I cant wait to see this guy who pretends to be the coach to be humiliated by any serious opposition he will face in the future. You probably havent noticed that Stafylidis sample as a CB was dreadful and he is going to use it again because of his huge ego, closing the door to our best players. Chatzidiakos tore his ACL while I have not seen Siovas (?) anywhere near the call ups who had another full season in Spain and could probably return to Olympiakos this summer.

I think we should give JVS a chance. We did well against Italy the second time around with a different team. We had our chances to score and didn’t take them. We lost to Italy at home 3-0 with Sokratis and Manolas. We’re better off having players who are humble and willing to fight for the jersey. I agree Stafylidis shouldn’t be at CB and Manolas is needed. But I like said before if Manolas is not willing to give his best than it’s better to have him off the team. 

Edited by Dean97

We lost to Italy with freaking Anastasiadis in the bench who used Siovas as a freaking CDM..If the Dutch keeps using Stafylidis as a CB we are going to consider much more goals like the one against Finland where he, as a last player tried to dribble their CF Pukki who naturally stole the ball and scored. And that happened a couple of times I think. There are 2 world class level Cbs around and a coach who keeps on using Stafylidis who has been dropped yet again from his team, Hoffenheim this time.

Here's a pool of around 30 players that Imo should roll over the squad.

Vlachodimos, Barkas, Paschalakis

Tsimikas, Stafylidis, Giannoulis

Sokratis, Siovas, Retsos

Manolas, Chatzidiakos

Mpakakis, Kyriakopoulos

Kourmpelis, Bouchalakis, Vasileiadis

Samaris, Zeca, Galanopoulos

Fortounis, Mpakasetas, Mantalos

Donis, Fetfatzidis

Limnios, Chatzigiovannis

Pavlidis, Mitroglou, Koulouris

It's a total shame he has dropped Mitroglou, Manolas and Sokratis. With a real coach and not clowns like Anastasiadis they could be essential for the next WC campaign. Skibbe was bad and obsessed the a point he choose Tzavellas over Cholevas and made the latter retire, but truth to be told we were a far inferior side compared to our opposition of Croatia and Belgium.

3 hours ago, Boxou said:

We lost to Italy with freaking Anastasiadis in the bench who used Siovas as a freaking CDM..If the Dutch keeps using Stafylidis as a CB we are going to consider much more goals like the one against Finland where he, as a last player tried to dribble their CF Pukki who naturally stole the ball and scored. And that happened a couple of times I think. There are 2 world class level Cbs around and a coach who keeps on using Stafylidis who has been dropped yet again from his team, Hoffenheim this time.

Here's a pool of around 30 players that Imo should roll over the squad.

Vlachodimos, Barkas, Paschalakis

Tsimikas, Stafylidis, Giannoulis

Sokratis, Siovas, Retsos

Manolas, Chatzidiakos

Mpakakis, Kyriakopoulos

Kourmpelis, Bouchalakis, Vasileiadis

Samaris, Zeca, Galanopoulos

Fortounis, Mpakasetas, Mantalos

Donis, Fetfatzidis

Limnios, Chatzigiovannis

Pavlidis, Mitroglou, Koulouris

It's a total shame he has dropped Mitroglou, Manolas and Sokratis. With a real coach and not clowns like Anastasiadis they could be essential for the next WC campaign. Skibbe was bad and obsessed the a point he choose Tzavellas over Cholevas and made the latter retire, but truth to be told we were a far inferior side compared to our opposition of Croatia and Belgium.

No doubt Manolas and Sokratis are at the highest level of all Greek players. But sometimes just because they are good doesn’t mean they are good for the team. Both had problems with Anastasiadis and EPO. We don’t know what happens behind the scenes but with these guys we haven’t got anywhere since Karagounis and Katsouranis retired. We started playing better football without them.

They are not bigger than the team. Hatzidiakos has convinced me that he can take Sokratis spot and do an even better job. The problem lies with Stafylidis at CB and Bakakis at RB. Both of these guys aren’t great defenders and with them in the same backline we could be asking for trouble. Manolas or Mavropanos have to take Stafylidis spot. At RB we need to find a more capable replacement in my opinion. 

Mitroglou is washed up. Time to move on. Samaris hasn’t been influential for Greece for the past 4-5 years. With Vasiliadis in the team I think Zeca’s days are numbered. 

I am assuming JVS is trying to find a replacement for Kourbelis. That’s if Kiomourtzoglou decides to play for Greece. 

I think he likes Hatzidiakos, Galanopoulos, Pavlidis and Limnios. They all played well. 

Edited by Dean97
  • Like it 1

I think that Sokrates was right about Anastasiadis.  He did what he did to force a change which was necessary.  It is beyond insane to spend 3 weeks in a camp and not game plan your opponent.  To not have a set line up, to play someone who has never played as a left back minutes before a game.  If he hadn't come out publicly, than he would not have been fired.  Having said that, the team has played much better since.  If he has an ego and thinks he is better than the team, than...

Boys let’s not forget all of the coaches we have had since our last World Cup appearance and with Manolas, Socratis and Mitro we lost to the minnows of the world on more then one occasion and didn’t qualify for a single tournament. Now that we have a coach that finally is playing some attractive football we want to question his decision making?? Obviously there is a problem with those guys or else they would have been called up and the coach would have Incorporated them into the lineup around the younger players. Based on all of JVS articles you can read between the lines these guys think they’re bigger then NT and they need to run the show.. I’m completely fine with seeing how far JVS can take this team who is still rebuilding and building on chemistry and attitude in the dressing room which was clearly lacking on the team. If you bring these guys back right now, all that hard work that has been done to turn this team around can be gone right away especially with this lay off so I don’t think JVS wants to take the chance on bringing in bad attitudes. 

• Like it 4

10 hours ago, J1078 said:

Boys let’s not forget all of the coaches we have had since our last World Cup appearance and with Manolas, Socratis and Mitro we lost to the minnows of the world on more then one occasion and didn’t qualify for a single tournament. Now that we have a coach that finally is playing some attractive football we want to question his decision making?? Obviously there is a problem with those guys or else they would have been called up and the coach would have Incorporated them into the lineup around the younger players. Based on all of JVS articles you can read between the lines these guys think they’re bigger then NT and they need to run the show.. I’m completely fine with seeing how far JVS can take this team who is still rebuilding and building on chemistry and attitude in the dressing room which was clearly lacking on the team. If you bring these guys back right now, all that hard work that has been done to turn this team around can be gone right away especially with this lay off so I don’t think JVS wants to take the chance on bringing in bad attitudes. 

Your impression is based on 4 meaningless games against uninterested teams. Better judge this team when they face some real opposition which is the upcoming wc qualifiers and have a look in this retarded scheme with Stafylidis as a CB.

It's beyond me to say we dont need them 3. I mentioned previously when Skibbe was around and we got a real chance to qualify they were our best players in the whole campaign. Just go check the headache you and me guys got every time someone would miss a game either due to injury or suspension. Anyway no point to over analyze it since both Skibbe and even more Anastasiadis should never be around the team. Someone mentioned previously that if not for Sokratis and Manolas going against Anastasiadis in public we would still be stuck with him in the bench. You really think such players of world class level are happy to miss international football at summers?

After all coach needs to say on public he doesnt want them and stop being a chicken with all this "they are under our radar" s%$#! every time he is being asked about that topic. Rehaggel did the same with Georgatos and Zikos but at least he had the guts to say it on public. I got the impression he is not a strong character as a person.

So far JVS has done a good job even though it’s a small sample size. He has the NT playing attractive attacking football and getting results in the process. Even in Italy the team played well and defensively held Italy to no shots on target for the 1st half and we were not lucky to go ahead after Koulouris missed a sitter. I am eager to see how he does vs a top quality side in World Cup qualifying. I think he will recall Manolas out of necessity to help the backline. 

• Like it 1

• 3 months later...

When we talk about the National team gaffa, it's paramountly important that this person can galvanise the whole team, to carry out the task at hand with enthusiasm and precision.

JVS must call an urgent team meeting, talk tactics whilst they all have arni stin souvla, souvlakia, lemoni, skortho, tzatziki, haloumi cheese, and a retsina or ouzo whilst they listen to some rebetica. The Gaffa can show his inner hellene! This will ensure optimum results.

Won't hurt if JVS, Valkani and Winter dressed like Tsoliathes either!

Edited by ausgreek
  • Haha 1

Lots of drama with the NT. JVS told Sivas he is done from the NT after his comments after the Kosovo game. he will not be called up again. He also spoke about Socratis and Manolas who are done as well. So now Siovas, Manolas, Socratris are all DONE from the NT for good. Check out the article below.

https://www.sport24.gr/Columns/Diamantopoulos/thn-kanate-reality.5754877.html

• Like it 1

Hopefully this doesn’t mean Stafylidis is the new long term CB. Van’t Schip did the right thing. But he has to find someone else, not Stafylidis. I would also like to get an explanation as to why exactly Sokratis and Manolas were dropped. He should come out and say it straight. Don’t know why he’s hiding from it. Clearly Sokratis and Manolas were dropped because EPO/Schip didn’t like them saying which players should play. Or that maybe Siovas got dropped because he mentioned Manolas name. 

We need to hear the truth from the coaches mouth. He never seems 100% clear with these situations.

Chatzidiakos played his first match after his injury over the weekend, he'll come in and replace Siovas straight off the bat. 

I don't think JVS owes the public an explanation as to why he's not calling up Sokratis and Manolas, it's pretty clear that they are done as long as he's in charge and we all know why. He's cleared out all the toxic personalities, hopefully the rest of the squad jump on board and continue to follow him as they have until now.

Siovas had a big role to play with the Ethniki as the most senior CB but he's blown his chance, whether it was a slip of the tongue or something pre-meditated doesn't matter. Where there is smoke there's fire, Van't Schip has done the right thing, I just hope the youthful squad that's left back in the coach and hopefully get to be part of something special moving forward. 

Let’s not ignore that the EPO could possibly be involved in these decisions and call ups. Manolas and Sokratis have always been suspicious about the EPO when they previously said to Grammenos “it’s either us or him”. This comment alone could be the reason they’ve been banished from the team. 

It’s hard to know 100% who makes the calls the EPO or Van’t Schip. If If I can remind some of us Van’t Schip first games in charge had Manolas and Sokratis in the starting line up. After the debacle with Lichtenstein they got dropped along with the others. 

In past when he said that no one is excluded from the team and that everyone is welcome doesn’t make sense. Manolas and Sokratis want to be part of the team but their past comments are the reason as to why they are not welcome anymore. It could disrupt things if the were to come back. 

Now Siovas has joined Manolas and Sokratis in the excluded players list. He made the right decision but at least be upfront about why you excluded Sokratis and Manolas in the first place. He was being honest as to saying Siovas broke the rules by mentioning the coaches decisions. They’ve been excluded for the same reason Siovas is being excluded now. By him not being upfront about it makes it seem more suspect.

Edited by Dean97

• Dutch Eagle locked, unlocked and pinned this topic