Phantis Forums

NT Coaches

Guest PastMember

Here are the players that have been called up... Donis still injured.. 

Goalkeepers: Vasilis Barkas (AEK), Alexandros Paschalakis (PAOK), Odysseas Vlachodimos (Benfica).

Defenders: Kostas Manolas (AS Roma), Sokratis Papastathopoulos (Arsenal), Dimitris Siovas (Leganes), Vasilis Lampropoulos (AEK), Michalis Bakakis (AEK), Vasilis Torosidis (Olympiacos), Leonardo Koutris (Olympiacos), Dimitris Giannoulis (Atromitos).

Midfielders: Andreas Samaris (Benfica), Andreas Bouchalakis (Olympiacos), Petros Mantalos (AEK), Dimitris Pelkas (PAOK), Anastasios Bakasetas (AEK), Konstantinos Fortounis (Olympiacos), Dimitris Kourbelis (Panathinaikos), Carlos Zeca (FC Copenhagen), Giorgos Masouras (Panionios).

Forwards: Konstantinos Mitroglou (Marseille), Efthymis Koulouris (Atromitos), Nikos Karelis (PAOK).

Edited by J1078
  • Like it 2

This is already a bit concerning. Not a single winger called up (unless masouras is a winger), 4 dms called, no lazaros and he still has bakasetas in the team. I like the riff raff are gone, and there are deserving players in, but some of the calls are very peculiar. Unless he's planning on going with a completely different formation? What'd he play at paok? 

Edited by gsots

I like the overall selection of the team. Siovas back in the fold and Vlachodimos is in the senior squad for the first time. Also no Tziolis and Tzavellas ? Why did he not call up Lazaros he looked very good yesterday in Europa league match and scored a nice goal.

• Like it 1

This is a good team selection. But, Mantalos, Pelkas and Bakasetas don’t deserve to be there especially Bakasetas. They haven’t performed and Lazaros and Fetfa deserve more of a chance. Happy to see Koutris, Siovas and Vlacho in the team. Koulouris is a questionable selection. I don’t know why he is not with the u21s. I also don’t think he is good enough anyway. I hope he proves me wrong and scores for us though. Hopefully when the u21s win and all our players are healthy we can have a solid 23 man team. 

Great that ztiolis and tsavelas are out but why is Karnezis out of the squad? Is being at Napoli not good enough? Hatzidiakos has been playing very well in holland (ignored?) Marinos a regular in Belgium. Velios, Charisis, Galitzios and Katranis all solid in belgium but as usual players that play in Belgium and Holland are ignored for the senior NT. Lamprou at Ajax i know is the number 2 there but he is a very good keeper and also the young Lamprou in Holland has been really good so far this season. Obviously when Holebas said he has retired from the NT he meant it. Imo too many players again from the Greek league. Agree with Fourtounis. Toro and Kourbelis but the majority of rest playing in greece i would only look it if we had no one available playing abroad in bigger leagues.

You guys are never happy. If any of us could do better with the selections, we wouldn’t be on this forum. He hasn't Even coached a game yet and already here we go. Has it ever occurred to any of you that maybe, just maybe none of these players but 3 or 4 are any good anyway. We’re arguing because fetfatzidis isn’t on the team or lazaros? I can understand the arguing if Ronaldo or Mbappe we’re not called up to their teams. But those 2 aren’t even average players in world standards. 

• Like it 3

Very pleased to see Tziolis and Tzavellas finally done.. unfortunate that Donis misses AGAIN due to injury..  Not a fan of Bakasetas but glad to see this coach make changes... look forward to see what system he plays and who he chooses to start..

54 minutes ago, Jimmyp said:

You guys are never happy. If any of us could do better with the selections, we wouldn’t be on this forum. He hasn't Even coached a game yet and already here we go. Has it ever occurred to any of you that maybe, just maybe none of these players but 3 or 4 are any good anyway. We’re arguing because fetfatzidis isn’t on the team or lazaros? I can understand the arguing if Ronaldo or Mbappe we’re not called up to their teams. But those 2 aren’t even average players in world standards. 

I think you may be right. I believe we do have 3 or 4 players that are very good and that’s about it. The rest are either poor footballers or average and don’t deliver for the national team. 

• Like it 1

3 hours ago, Jimmyp said:

Your right, I said it too about no Lazaros but overall we shouldn't complain and with this crop of players Greece should not have a problem beating Finland and especially Estonia at home. 

• Like it 1

It's not that we're being negative, it's that it becomes more and mroe apparent everyday that we seem to know this team and players better than the people running this team. We pay more attention to the players abroad than they seem too. 

Who is going to make runs out of the players selected? We're just going to have the wing backs running up and down the field? Believe me I'm really interested to see what this coach can do and what formation and tactics he uses.

But I'm nervous because we've seen what not having speed in the lineup and down the wings has made us look like. 

• Like it 1

Ange A made mention he is a man of few words, and actions on the field are what counts, he said only Vlaho and Masouras are the only new guys at this stage, although Lambropoulos is probably another. Ange didn't want to take any players from Nikopolidi's team yet.

Basinas mentioned that all the lower national rep teams play the same systems as the senior team so the player are familiar with their roles.  There was no mention that Ange A doesn't highly rate Lazaros and Fetfa, his future  wingers might end up being Donis and Chatzigiovannis next year.

Edited by ausgreek
  • Like it 2

I really like his passion and love he has for the NT and the fact that it is a dream come true for him.. Glad to see that Basinas said he will be working with the under 21 team to develop one system that the Greek teams will be accustom to playing so that way when they transition into the NT the young guys don't feel lost. Every successful football nation does this. As a Greek coach and with Basinas there they will implement the importance and honor for being on the NT and if guys don't show they care they will not be called up.. All in all a positive press conference..

• Like it 1

• Dutch Eagle locked, unlocked and pinned this topic