Phantis Forums

NT Coaches

Guest PastMember

One thing some of you will be pleased about is that Tzavellas and Anastasiads had a falling out when he was last at PAOK and as far as i know that relationship was never mended.(the falling out was part of the reason he left before the end of the season)

Unlikely we'll see Tzavellas anywhere near the ethniki anytime soon. 

All things considered I prefer to have Anastasiadis 10x over Skibbe.  I just hope he’s still got the fire in his belly and can scare the pants off the players, who for me, have been disgraceful and deep down think *they* run the team.  Interested to see if he mixes things up in his 1st game in charge.  I’ll be disappointed if the same players and system are used.

11 minutes ago, Tzatziki said:

/\

That was like 100 years a go....

Possibly before your time kiddo.  I put it in more for comic relief.  The irony is that Anastasiadis does have a football brain.  He has an eye for talent and as Achilles said he can identify flaws during a game and adjust.  A skill many managers lack.

However, he also does come across as uncouth.  I don’t know if he’s got it anymore.  I don’t know if he’ll win over the players, which is more than half the battle.  But either way I’d have him over Skibbe the Uninspired.

I’m also hoping he’ll bring back some players into the NT that should be there and change the general mentality of the team which has become woefully accepting of poor performances.

Paixte bala pethamena.

• Like it 3

I don't think it will be a disaster... I mean Raneri was a disaster and Skibbe was horrible as well.. I only see an improvement over the past guys we had..  Now if we see Tziolis and Tzavellas called up then I will retract my statement..  Lets not judge the guy on the first game either as with anything there will be a transition period..

• Like it 1

On 10/22/2018 at 9:03 AM, kbxk508 said:

Yes, it may be ballsy move by EPO, but honestly Jimmyp, I can see why you are a rookie.

As an Australian Greek I take that as a bit offensive. Ange is no mug. He took an Australian team that qualified for a WC and got spanked 6-0 in consecutive friendlies and then had them lead 2-1 vs Holland in a world cup Group match, 6 months later. Holland were eventual runners up in the WC. Ange will go seek out and find Greek players you haven't heard of.

Also, he was born in Greece, played and coached youth teams at national level, coached clubs and a NT successfully and he can at least speak the language. And of course, he played and coached SM Hellas FC. Enough said.

I will say though, Paokara's analysis on p20 is a good read.

I’m 47. Far from a rookie. What I’m saying is if you want to compete with elite countries you throw out your budget and you go all out and hire a coach with credentials. A coach that had a great track record. 

Im not against Australia, I have a lot of family there, but seriously all of us can coach them and win against the Maldives or Fiji. Now they’re part of Asia if I’m not mistaken and that pool isn’t that much better. Show me credentials like Rehagel. Ranieri was a disaster but he had a proven track record also. I hope I’m wrong but I doubt it 

1 hour ago, J1078 said:

I don't think it will be a disaster... I mean Raneri was a disaster and Skibbe was horrible as well.. I only see an improvement over the past guys we had..  Now if we see Tziolis and Tzavellas called up then I will retract my statement..  Lets not judge the guy on the first game either as with anything there will be a transition period..

Ranieri was a huge I mean huge disaster, that loss to the Faroes at home was so embarrassing, losing to a bunch of semi professional footballers. To be fair Skibbe managed to get a result in Belgium and almost got the win there.  Lets hope Anastasiadis gets the team selection right and hopefully starts off well vs Finland. PA ME ELLAS!

• Like it 1

Ranieri got it wrong because he tried to reverse a complete football culture in a country overnight.  He called up so many new faces and they did not have time to integrate with one another. Also, if I remember correctly, we had quite a few injuries right after the world cup.

4 hours ago, AchillesHeel said:

Losing at home 0-1 to Faroe Islands and 0-2 to Northern Ireland, the responability lies with the players....enough with the Ranieri bashing. They should have been able to win those games wearing flipflops....most of the players looked like they were playing in their sayonares. No one was able to step up and take the place of Kats and Kara then....and things look the same now.

The players get part of the blame as well. The first game vs Romania Ranieri called up Mantalos a 2nd div player to make his international debut? in a Euro qualifier? and puts him in the starting 11, surely he could have selected someone else at the time and eased Mantalos into the team. Ranieri after the draw in Finland said the team would be much more focused and better vs North Ireland and pretty much guaranteed a win smiling and laughing with reporters but the team lost in pathetic fashion 0-2. Then came the worst loss in the ETHNIKI history at home to the Faroes with Ranieri looking totally lost during the game on the sidelines on how to make adjustments vs a bunch of fishermen. Ranieri gets a large part of the blame for these results just as Skibbe did with the most recent listless loss to Finland which ultimately costed him his job.

• Like it 2

• Dutch Eagle locked, unlocked and pinned this topic