Phantis Forums

NT Coaches

Guest PastMember

1 hour ago, La Mendel said:

I hope in reality they have a better candidate than those mentioned in the press.

No way they will becasue they already said they can onlt afford to pay the new coach what Skibbe was making which was between $500,000-$600,000 Euros.. No way in hell does a top guy come for that money...

Guys I know its irrelevant but a hilarious incident happened today. I googled the word "Skibbe" cos I wanted to see whether he had gotten the sack or not and a title of an article really freaked me out: "Skibbe gets 30-day continuance". However, it was about some town supervisor who had to appear before the court "on a felony drunk-driving charge".

Edited by La Mendel

WTF I also just read that this F..king coach will be given another chance.. I don’t think. I can handle to watch anymore with him... That means he will lead us into the F..king Euros...

Edited by J1078

5 hours ago, Ellada2004 said:

According to the Sydney Morning Herald the EPO have Postecoglou at the top of there short list?

How do you guys feel about Ange?

I don't know much about him but I wouldn't mind a greek coach for a change.

3 hours ago, J1078 said:

Apparently the Epo is on a tight budget (damn crooks) so they are in no position to pay out Skibbe and pay for a new coach..

I read the article the EPO may keep him on for the last 2 games so they dont have to pay him any compensation for termination of his contract. I wouldn't be surprised if we see him until the last match with Estonia and will most likely see the same poor results!

and you guys thought I was kidding about Ange coaching. Ha!

Anyway, I'm a euro snob so I don't know if this would b  the right appointment for me. Are any of  Zidane, Wenger, Benitez or Guardiola available first at the right price?

Grammenos the useless bastard has ruined everything for everyone! 

All the monkeys at EPO should be sacked for this ridiculous situation we are in. If EPO is on a tight budge I’d love to know what the P&L looks like since 2014.

We have forever been in a tougher situation in the past with no major tournament prize money and still gotten decent coaches, and now we can’t pay our Skibbe and his 38% winning record or less than a goal a game?? 

It’s incredibly sad how backwards Greece is and the idiots they have in power

Postecoglou would be interesting. His footballing philosophy is to put the ball down and play, dominate possession.From his time coaching in Australia he is quite stubborn and won't alter his style regardless of opponent. (see WC 14, WC 18 qualifiers)

Now 2 questions need to be asked, do we truly believe that Greece has the players to play a possession based game? I think if time has taught us anything it's we are a defence first nation. We thrive in the role of the underdog, we want to sit back and hit on the counter. I'm happy for a manager like him to come and try pass their philosophy but managers like that need time. At National team level, you don't have time. You need results, otherwise you miss out on another tournament and pressure grows. Something the powers at be (EPO) need to weigh up if they are indeed considering someone like Ange. 

The other thing to consider is that like it or not players have a big say. In Greece they have more of a say than in most top nations. If the likes of Toro, Tziolis, Tzavellas, (players that seem immortal at NT level so either they or their agents have a lot of pull) and to a lesser extent Sokratis and Manolas decide they don't like the manager or his philosophy we'll see an implosion. Similar to what happened in the Euro 16 qualifiers. We've seen these egos and cliques have too much control over teams in Greece in the past, the ethniki is no exception.  Not to mention if he refuses to call up some of the mentioned golden boys of ethniki he'll have EPO/agents booting down his door. 

My second point applies to any new coach brought in not just Ange. But I feel someone like Ange who has strong views is more likely to "rock the boat" and upset some of the wrong people and be gone before the ink on his contract has even dried. Maybe I'm too cynical, but that's just how I see it

Edited by paokarag4
  • Like it 1

15 hours ago, Ellada2004 said:

According to the Sydney Morning Herald the EPO have Postecoglou at the top of there short list?

How do you guys feel about Ange?

That’s just a bullshit rumour started by some m#$%! on Facebook. There is absolutely no truth to it. Zero

11 hours ago, georgelaz said:

monaco's coach got sacked. we might be able to get him for cheap. got monaco a title and CL final I believe

Yes, Leonardo Jardim would be great! He was coach of Olympiacos so he knows Greek football rather well. Also he adopts usually a defensive style that would fit us.

11 hours ago, J1078 said:

Apparently the Epo is on a tight budget (damn crooks) so they are in no position to pay out Skibbe and pay for a new coach..

The money could be found presumably under the mattresses of Grammenos and his ilk.

Edited by La Mendel

We have all mentioned this over and over again but lets be completely real about Skibbe.. This so called coach has NO game plan and offers absolutely NOTHING to the NT.. He consistently gets out coached by the apposing teams coach and his tactics are very easy to read from other teams.. Skibbe just puts players in regardless of their natural position and he expects them to perform and when it doesn't work he does it over and over again instead of learning from his mistakes.. He offers NO set plays no offensive creativity whatsoever and his in game subs are ALWAYS the wrong moves.. He is either too LAZY to scout the right players to be called up or he is truly just incompetent which I truly believe.. If he truly knew what he was doing as a coach he would have never constantly played Tzavellas over Holebas who would be a HUGE upgrade and something we desperately need. It took Skibbe forever to call up Laz, Fetfa, Kourb, Bakakis and so on. Instead he was all about Velios and company...  Having Kouloris playing and subbing in for Mitro is a bad decision right now, let the kid play for the junior team he's not ready for the NT.. Not calling up Siovas is another mystery to be honest.. Bottom line he is one of if not the absolute WORST coach we have had and the game against Estonia at home in the WC qualifier and the 2 games against Croatia should have opened everyone's eyes that this coach is clueless and he is dragging the NT further and further in the gutter where we are now.. We need another coach ASAP to bring some freshness and hope to this team... Right now it's not looking good for us to qualify for the Euros and a 3rd consecutive tournament missed..

• Like it 1

Sinisa Mihajlovic the former Serbian player/ coach is also on the EPO's radar. I really liked his style of play a beautiful free kick taker and I enjoyed watching him at Inter and with Yugoslavia at the 1998 World Cup and Euro 2000. 

• Like it 2

18 hours ago, Ellada2004 said:

I read the article the EPO may keep him on for the last 2 games so they dont have to pay him any compensation for termination of his contract. I wouldn't be surprised if we see him until the last match with Estonia and will most likely see the same poor results!

I wouldn't put it past us to win all remaining games either though. Finland game could've gone either way until sokratis got injured. unfortunately even a 3/3 will likely not get us through

6 hours ago, Ellada2004 said:

Sinisa Mihajlovic the former Serbian player/ coach is also on the EPO's radar. I really liked his style of play a beautiful free kick taker and I enjoyed watching him at Inter and with Yugoslavia at the 1998 World Cup and Euro 2000. 

He is perfect! Good to have a former world class player to change the culture of this team. 

• Like it 1

• Dutch Eagle locked, unlocked and pinned this topic