Phantis Forums

PAOK International Players (National Teams)

pash

Well U-21 already lost to Hungary and Portugal (big time), so any chances of qualifying are probably gone.

Other PAOK international call-ups:

Dimitiradis - U19 team (Will play in UEFA Euro Qualifying tournament in Spain)

Antonis - Australia

Sabo, Mak - Slovakia (Friendlies against Latvia and Ireland)

Rodrigues - Cape Verde (Africa Nations Cup game against Morocco)

I think we would all agree that Klaus has been average this season. However I just had a look over some numbers, despite poor performances he has 11 goals in 21 games, many of which he was a substitute, he's scoring a goal every 120 minutes.

Now I'm not saying he's having a great season, but I did think that the numbers would reflect a much poorer season from him.

• Like it 2

Klaus is an ok poacher but thats it. When was the last time in a big game we said, Jesus Klaus took the game on and won it for us? He is not that sort of player, which is fine. But our team isn't good enough to have our striker standing in the box waiting for balls and chances to come his way. We need a striker who will come deep, be part of some build up play, play with there back to goal. 
Sure its okay for him (or any striker) to play as a pure poacher against Kalloni and others, but in European games and against the other big teams we need someone who will offer more than just a tap in. 
He has a good scoring record against Olympiakos but some of his worst game I recall being against PAO, AEK and in Europe against decent oppostion. 
Again, he is an ok poacher and scorer, but he does also fluff many chances he really should bury considering he is a poacher. 

Nothing against him I don't mind Klaus at all, but I think looking at it objectively if we want to take the next step he can not be our starting center forward. Just my opinion

• Like it 3

Australia has a World Cup Qualifier tonight in my hometown. Antonis was called up by Ange Postecoglou but has not made the squad, former PAOK forward Apostolos Giannou is starting

He didn't come out Pontos, injured before leaving Greece and stayed in thessaloniki

he played the kind of active target man role that would currently suit us

a lot more perpetual movement than we currently get [still not very quick but by and large with quick midfielders it works well]

i realise the strength of the opposition but in a system he's a decent player

Pelkas just got called up to the senior men's squad for the Iceland friendly. Even though his play has been erratic at times, it's nice to see that Skibbe saw something he liked when he scouted PAOK. 

@NeaBafra - agree with you on Giannou, but at the same time, Vellios can fill that exact same role with us so it's not a huge loss.

Edited by teke817

I meant he would be a decent fit for PAOK, not the Greek NT, he is only in the oz team because he fills a need. he is not in the best 11 players Australia has, but he is in the best XI. there is a paucity of strikers in Australia.

On a side note, i din't want to post this in one of the threads in the NT section where some bloke compared the Greek and oz teams because have no desire to become part of some flame war over this and have it turn into an NSL v A League m*****a.

But i will say this, i think if you look at the 2 squads there are 2 areas where i believe Australia is better and 1 where i believe it's a draw, the rest Greece has Australia covered. i don't like to judge purely based on what club you play for because sometimes that comes down more to politics than anything else

the way i see it Australia is ahead in goalkeeping [not by a lot, but i think Ryan has karnezis covered and after that Australia's depth is better] and central midfield [where i think jedinak, rogic, milligan, luongo and mooy are slightly ahead] i think it's probably about even on the wings and that Greece  has Australia covered in the centre of defence easily and the same for the full backs and the forwards. man for man I'll take Greece, but system for system it's hard to go past how well drilled the Australian team is at the moment.

Edited by Nea Bafra

Mak played the whole game in the friendly against Latvia. Score 0-0.

Sabo came in as a substitute in the 89' minute.

I can not stand those coaches that do this. What on earth can a player show in those few minutes and what on earth can a player do wrong I those few minutes??? It's time that players stand up for their rights of not being ridiculed by coaches.

• Like it 2

Mak played the whole game in the friendly against Latvia. Score 0-0.

Sabo came in as a substitute in the 89' minute.

I can not stand those coaches that do this. What on earth can a player show in those few minutes and what on earth can a player do wrong I those few minutes??? It's time that players stand up for their rights of not being ridiculed by coaches.

I don't necessarily think at international level it is about what you can show. The coach should already know about you before picking you.

They might have had an injury, cramp or were wasting time. If I was Sabo I'd consider myself fortunate, their coach only made two substitutions the whole game. I'd rather get some game time than none for my national team [club level is a different kettle of fish]

• 1 month later...

Skibbe picked 4 PAOK players for the preliminary national team squad that will travel to Australia for two friendlies in June.

They are Kitsiou, Tzavellas, Tziolis and Pelkas