Phantis Forums

2015-16 UEFA Europa League

pash

Now that the last match of the playoffs has been played, we know where we stand for next season's Europa League. I thought I'd post this for general, non-match-related discussion.

PAOK will be entering in the second qualifying round. I believe our coefficient is 40.88, which means we will definitely be seeded.

The draw takes place on June 22nd, and the two legs take place on July 16th and July 23rd.

Assuming we make it through, we should still be seeded in the third round (-edit- and playoffs), and it looks like we'd be second seeds in the group stage after that.

Edited by pash

We will be seeded all the way to group stage. We should make it to the group stage, where most likely all the Greek teams will end up (maybe except Atromitos) anyway. The only bad thing is that we need to start so soon. This will negatively impact the planning for the regular season. We need to appoint a coach this week, start bringing in new players, and treat the initial European games as pre-season training matches. The first two rounds of EL should an easy affair. The playoff round might be tricky, but since we are seeded, we should be ok.

If we do wipe the slate clean, I wonder how fast we can get players to actually gel as a team before these qualifiers begin. The timing of this makes it more likely, in my eyes, that the majority of this team will form the backbone of the squad in the upcoming year.

PAOK as we all know will start the European campaign on July 16.

Here is the breakdown PAOK's possible road to the Group Stage of Europa League, which should once again be PAOK's goal:

QUALIFYING GROUP 2   (66 teams)

SEEDING:  Currently seeded in 2nd place with 40.880 points

DRAW:  June 22, 2015

LEG 1:  June 22, 2015

LEG 2:  June 22, 2015

POSSIBLE CONFIRMED OPPONENTS:

IFK Gotteborg ? Sweden *

Wolfberger AC ? Austria *

Inverness CT ? Scotland *

Cherno More Varna ? Bulgaria *

* - Depending on results in QR 1, some of the teams can move to the seeded group

QUALIFYING GROUP 3   (58 teams)

SEEDING:  Currently seeded in 5th place with 40.880 points

DRAW:  July 17, 2015

LEG 1:  July 30, 2015

LEG 2:  August 6, 2015

POSSIBLE CONFIRMED OPPONENTS:

Vitesse Arnheim ? Holland *

FK Jablonec ? Czech Rep. *

Sturm Graz ? Austria *

AEK Larnaca ? Cyprus *

Hapoel Kyrryat Shmona ? Israel *

Istanbul Basaksehir ? Turkey *

AS Tirgu Mures ? Romania *

SCR Altach ? Austria *

* - Depending on results in QR 2, some of the teams can more to the seeded group

QUALIFYING GROUP 4 (Playoff Round)   (44 teams)

SEEDING:  Currently seeded in 5th place with 40.880 points

DRAW:  August 7, 2015

LEG 1:  August 20, 2015

LEG 2:  August 27, 2015

GROUP STAGE   (48 teams)

SEEDING:  Currently seeded in 7th place of Pot 2 with 40.880 points

DRAW:  August 7, 2015

LEG 1:  August 20, 2015

LEG 2:  August 27, 2015

In the above post the QR2 dates should be July 16 (Leg 1) and July 23 (Leg 2). The post needs couple more edits.

I really hate that you can't edit your own posts on these forums. At the very least the PAOK forum needs an active moderator that can do some basic editing at a minimum.

Sorted bij seeding we would draw logically a club with a coefficient of 6.080 down to 3.350.

But because the draw for the 2nd qualifying round is made before the results of the 1st qualifying round, unseeded teams in the 1st qualifying round that qualify for the next round take effectively the coefficient of their opponent in the next round. This means that we could face a team with coefficient 3.275 or lower.

Only 5 teams are possilble confirmed opponents (the 4 Blackhawk mentioned and als Hapoel Beer-Sheva of Israel) so PAOK scouts could watch the opponents live. 

Al possible opponents are to be viewed at:

http://kassiesa.home.xs4all.nl/bert/uefa/seedel2015.html

• Like it 1

Akrivws...einai para polu shmantiko (and not just so we can watch more matches). Den mporeis na xtiseis kati otan den uparxoun agwnes - and isn't building something, the point? As far as I'm concerned, we really need to make it to the group stages.

Dutch Eagle, I was just looking for that site the other day, thank you for posting it again!

Akrivws...einai para polu shmantiko (and not just so we can watch more matches). Den mporeis na xtiseis kati otan den uparxoun agwnes - and isn't building something, the point? As far as I'm concerned, we really need to make it to the group stages.

Dutch Eagle, I was just looking for that site the other day, thank you for posting it again!

That site has been around for years, and it's always been an excellent site.  If you google "uefa coefficient" it'll be the 3rd or 4th hit usually.

• 2 weeks later...

Lokomotiva would be the favorite in that tie so I'd think Tudor and his assistant Leko sould know them very well.

It's actually a very tough draw.

They have some well known players. Ante Rukavina is on loan to them from Dinamo and he was at PAO for a few years. Also they have Jerko Leko (I love that name. Makes me laugh every time!) who's been a Croatian NT player for years. Also have one of the Croatia keepers and an Australian born Centre back who's just been called up to the Australian team.

I hope that PAOK is well prepared. They should be fine to progress.

We should be able to smash either team easily. Yes, I like being cocky.

I will root for the Welsh, because I'm overdue for a return trip to the UK. Hopefully they have good beer in Broughton.

I would like the Welsh as well. They consist of semi-professional players and will be quite easy to overcome. Lokomotiva is the Ergotelis of Croatia considering that they have 11 players on loan from the Olympiakos of Croatia: Dinamo Zagreb. Lokomotiva is the team that our current coach beat in the final of the Croatian cup. He also beat them 5:0 in the league game away. Tudor should know how to handle them. 

The question is what will PAOK do. If we play like we did in the recent playoffs, I see us having a difficult time with Lokomotiva Zagreb. 

We could have had an easier draw.

For what its worth (UEFA did not release the groups before on the internet):

PAOK was amongst the seeded teams in group 1.

The other possible opponents were: Torpedo Zhodino, F91 Dudelange, FC Vaduz and Zeljeznicar Sarajevo.

Could have been easier, but I'm glad we did not draw Sarajevo  

• 2 weeks later...