Phantis Forums

2015-16 UEFA Europa League

pash

At the end the draw could have been better, but also worse.

Got the second seeded from pot 1 and the lowest seeded from pot 3 and 4.

I prokrisi ine sta cheria mas ....... ehhh podia.

Edited by Dutch Eagle
  • Like it 1

Wow!  Dortmund!  Klaus is gonna rip Sokratis a new one ... just kidding.  Having a look at the teams in pot 1, they were all quality, so I'm not that fussed by this draw.  I don't really know anything about the Russian team, and realistically they won't be easy.  As for Gabala, they showed PAO that if you sleep in defense, they can punish you.  We should be all right though because our defense is so rock solid ...

Dortmund have, in my opinion, the best home ground in Europe ... after Toumba of course.  Their home ground is always packed and the atmosphere awesome.

When are the fixtures decided ? 

Should be soon, we already know the Champions League fixtures. Match days are 9/17, 10/1, 10/22, 11/5, 11/26, 12/10.

Coworkers are already telling me I should go to Dortmund for that match. I like that idea. Never gone to an away Europa League game before though - what's the process like for tickets? I'm sure we'll sell out our allotment.

• Like it 1

This is the perfect draw.  We have a BIG team.  So that if we lose, it's expected, but if we win....it's gonna be a PARTY! The other 2 are the worst of each pot.  We should get enough points out of them to go through in 2nd place.  

my thoughts exactly. we get to try ourselves against dortmund for a challenge and then we have a few games where if we execute our gameplan we should have no trouble.

• Like it 1

Two seasons ago, we had a great two matches vs Schalke. If our guys play without fear and with at least a little belief, we'll have a great few matches. Realistically, if we grab even a point out of either match, it might be enough to bring us to the second round.

A note - once the transfer window ends, this is it for us. Tudor needs to be ready for these matches. These are the only chance he'll get to play interesting games vs opposition that wants to actually play ball. I'd go so far as to say he should have the opposite mentality of PAO, who seems to hate the idea of playing in Europe.

thankfully we have never had that kind of problem, to my knowledge. last year was a disappointment but the problems ran much deeper than just hating the idea of playing in europe. our team should be hungry this year and thus far, i believe tudor has done well to inspire them to positive football in most cases--exactly as you said, to play without fear.

i'm still not going to make any expectations about the results of the matches against dortmund, but we won't just roll over and die.

You're right, our team *always* wants to play in Europe. Which is a positive thing, of course.

I'll repeat what I said in the other match thread (because I love hearing myself talk) - Tudor is, I think, going to much more capable of tackling these international teams than he will with the leoforeia he'll be encountering here. I hope he relishes the chance to go up against Dortmund in particular.

Toumba's going to be absolutely rocking for this, though.

Two seasons ago, we had a great two matches vs Schalke.

Don't remind me of the game in Toumba.  We had them.  It was there for the taking, especially once they went down to 10 men.  Only our mentality let us down.  Nice goal by Klaus that day as well.

Edited by Bananas
  • Like it 1

The good thing is we've got 3 weeks until the 1st European match.  It gives time for the new guys to get some more practice with their new teammates and some games under their belt.  Also, We've got over a month until the match vs. Dortmund in Toumba...we'll need to be in top form to get a result against them.  Maybe someone can hold Papastathopoulos' mother hostage, so he can score an own goal to help us out, lol.

PAOK's fate will be decided in the first three rounds in my opinion. If we managed to win at Qabala, get a point with Dortmund at home and then beat Krasnodar at home, we should be in very good shape. Unfortunately I see Krasnodar giving us a lot problems. I think the second place will be decided between us and the Russians.