Phantis Forums

PAOK Technical Director (?)

Blackhawk

Great move by Savvidis to hire Arnesen as Technical Director. He has all the qualifications a team would want in a TD. The big question is if he will be allowed to do the work he knows. He needs to be given time to build the team. Just hope that he will  not be chased away like some other big names (Stephens). The chance of him becoming a tourist like Stephens or Boloni is quite possible.

His first move is to find a new coach and than good players to start building the team.  let's hope this is the start of better things to come. 

• Like it 1

Wow, how good would it be if we could get Boloni back as manager as well.  A man can dream ....

I agree this was a surprise appointment.  For once we did things outside the media circus which is already +1 in my eyes.  He definitely has pedigree and hopefully he can find a way to attract players that normally wouldn't come to the club.  Also, and more importantly, hopefully the club can begin to develop a winning mentality.

Will be interesting to see what happens with Maduro and Martens now that he's here.

Savvidis might have the patience, but I an guarantee you that the fans don't. Would not be surprised if by next May they will be calling for his head. Hopefully Savvidis has the balls to support him through the tough times.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Apparently there is a clause in his contract that PAOK can release him by March 31st if we are not happy with his services. All this according to kolkas.gr, which means that it could be a total BS.

• 2 weeks later...

the people aren't the problem, its the club, the fans, the media. PAOK could bring in Mourinho/Pep and the best tech.director in the world and we would still be what we are. Until there is a clear plan and it is stuck to thenv its gonna be the same song and dance every season. The squad isn't great but we have a good core of young players, we need to hold onto them and build. But you can never satisfy the "organwmeni" who have far too much power and say. 

PAOK needs to change but PAOK is simply a product of Greek football which allows this to happen. 

• Like it 2

Well, if I was Savvidis I would invite all the players and "fans" to a great big venue, and ask the fans what do you want ?  Results or a young core to build on.  You can't have both in the beginning.  If the answer is results, I'd fire Kitsiou, Konstantinidis, Pelkas, Mystakidis, Charisis, Cimirot etc. on the spot.  Sorry guys, don't have time ... need results now.  Then I'd go and get washed up over the hill players in their 30's.  Seems to be what the "fans" love.

Yeah, what a f-ing joke. You can't turnover your coaching staff and/or front office every 8 months. Ivan's lack of patience is the one thing I dislike most about him. This was his reputation at Rostov too ... 

The article on SDNA.gr yesterday just blasted Arnesen and I understand many of the points raised, but it's not nearly enough to damn his whole project imho ... 

Edited by teke817

It's not even patience at this point.  You can't say the words "rebuilding" and "3 year plan" and then act like you're surprised the team isn't competing for 1st place.  You know what, I'm OK with the team being in 4th and 5th place right now.  As long as there is a plan.  The fact that Tudor is still here and not Arnesen goes to show the half ass nature of how this team is being run.   I understand Savvidis payed off the debt, and good for him....but what good is it for you to pay off my mortgage, if you then come into my house and destroy everything and set it on fire?

Also, people saying his signings didn't work out are full of s%$#! too.  He's building a team from scratch...If you can find me a TD that can sign 10 young players and make them all studs, let me know...it's impossible.  That's why its a 3 year plan.  Loan out the guys who don't work out to smaller teams, and scout new guys for the next signing period.  

I'm just disgusted. 

Edited by BostonThanatos
  • Like it 3

IYou can't say the words "rebuilding" and "3 year plan" and then act like you're surprised the team isn't competing for 1st place.  

I'm just disgusted. 

I couldn't agree more. I'm fine with 4th, 5th or even 10th place, if the objective is to be in 1st place in two or three years. New coach, 10 new players, and a rash of injuries and you are still in 5th place in the league and in the final 4 in the Cup ... so why the panic button?? It reeks of incompetence, impatience and arrogance. I would rather he just hand the reigns to his son George if Ivan is going to be such a reactionary. 

SDNA is part of Alafouzos's media empire which includes full control of Ekathimerini and Skai TV.

I don't know about Alafouzos involvement with SDNA, and I would like to see some direct evidence to support that claim. I'm not doubting you, but I just like to see where that comes from. I do know it was founded by Papatheodoriou, the former editor of Gazetta.gr -- and admittedly a former columnist at "PRASINOS" -- but he had a very ugly divorce from that paper and has been ripped by the most ardent PAO fan/fan sites from the time he went to Gazetta until now. 

When it was founded it was billed as a co-operative of various journalists from across Greece where columns would be syndicated on other sites. Many of the PAOK columns are written by guys like Stavros Kolkas (from PAOK24) so I don't see any anti-PAOK bias, nor do I see any pro-Panathinaikos slant. However, it is definitely very very critical of OSFP, the EPO and KED.

As far as the anti-Arnesen article, the main criticism was pretty much exactly what every other publication have since reported, basically, he overpaid for certain guys that seem ill-suited for the PAOK we want to build (i.e., Olsen, Rodrigues, etc.) and it cost him his job. I don't agree with the decision, but some points are valid if true. If we paid 250,000 euros to Rodrigues agents (as opposed to the traditional 7-10% commission) to avoid him going to AEK, then I think that's a valid criticism.  

Personally, I think SDNA and Gazetta are generally the best sports sites in Greece in contrast to sites like Sport24 who are the most pro-OSFP.  

Some interesting blog posts and articles about SDNA when it was originally formed ... 

http://harddog-sport.blogspot.com/2014/12/gazzetta-sdna.html

http://www.redsagainsthemachine.gr/articles/130114/papatheodoroy-teos-prasinofroyros-kai-dieythyntis-toy-gazzetta 

the 1-15-2013 post is a reproduction of a release by Papatheodoriou stating he quit PRASINOS because editorials and content were posted without approval by higher ups for "political" or "personal" gain (veiled references to Alafouzos I believe) ... Generally does not paint a picture of a guy who would work for Alafouzos again ... 

http://www.sdna.gr/genikes-eidiseis/article/1174/eseis-tha-zisete-eleytheroi-i-isyxoi

Of course this is very self-serving to a certain extent, but if true, I applaud the sentiment about the founding of SDNA and its "mission statement" so to speak.

Edited by teke817

Savvidis for the past four years takes one step forward and then six month later two steps back.

I am now convinced that PAOK will always be stuck in the "village" mentality. When people like Kolkas and the organized fans are able to influence the team decisions, there is no future.

• Like it 1

• Blackhawk changed the title to PAOK Technical Director (?)
  • Blackhawk changed the title to PAOK Technical Director (Olaf Rebbe)