Phantis Forums

Seems we will get either Ajax,  Club Brugge or Monaco if we secure the CL spot this year.

Don't think we would be make such early signings if we as a club didn't want to enter CL qualifiers with a realistic expectation of qualifying for group stage

I hope we can make CL I can finally show my boys the real Euro Pao!

• Like it 1

It's weird that PAOK and not PAO would be in the strong group, thus getting easier draws in prelim stages. I'm hoping this will change soon. I'm old enough to remember that PAO was expected to have some great euro matches.

Unfortunately, the gap between the elite euro teams and the rest is getting wider. The poorer countries or small markets can't really compete at the top level and consistently. If a club spends 100x more than another, you can't compete. For example, Real (not the only one) can spend more money on 1 player than the whole annual budget of all the Greek league. It tells you something about the gap and reality.

Do you guys know when there's the draw for the CL prelim?

Guys they base those rankings on results in Europe.. We haven't exactly set the world on fire in Euro competitions in quite some time...

Edited by Giourkas

Why what have we done the last 3 yrs in Europe to have more points then PAOK?

53equal.png50130.pngPAOK FC GRE 10.520 11.520 2.380 10.220 6.240 40.880

10050084.pngPanathinaikos FC7.520 3.020 4.880 1.220 3.240 19.880

The ONLY thing these rankings are based on is Europe. And PAO had four shitty seasons in Europe in a row and PAOK had some decent ones.

• Like it 1

It's a stupid rankings system, they should weigh it a little more towards league play and then make it based off of 3 years of European play rather than 5. Of course that would mean AEK would be around 250th in Europe but whatever, it's more fair and we are probably that low on the current rankings anyways.

these guys would be the same ones arguing if 'their formula' was used and it meant the team that won the Polish or Belarus title for the last 3 seasons was ranked higher than their team.....

• Like it 1

LOL come on guys it's not that hard to figure out.. rankings are about right for now!..time we had a good run in Europe!..2009 last time out I remember doing the double over Roma :D

Just saw the competition we are up against....

We have a snow ball's chance in hell....

The best bet we got is club Brugge... they are the only team that we can feasibly beat....Maaaayyybee Ajax on an off day....

Then again the game is played on the field, so who knows... we'll just have to wait and see

The rankings have nothing to do with Superleague. It's the individual club results in Europe for the past 5 years, and in those past 5 years PAOK had much more European success than Panathinaikos.

And the reason the 2nd playoff spot leads to group stage of EL is because this spot belongs to the winner of the Greek Cup. And since Xanthi failed to win the cup and Olympiakos prefers to play in CL, the spot goes to the next team in line.

If you lose in the 3rd qualifying round of CL, you will play in the playoff round of EL. If you lose in the playoff round of CL, you will go to the group stage of EL.

PANA97,

As Nick pointed out....PAO needs to reach the final CL qualifying stages, to be at least secured a Europa spot.

PAOK has already secured a Europa spot. There's a possibility we don't get into European competition at all...Remember last year, we needed a Berg comeback in the last game to qualify...That's after winning the Greek playoffs!!!

PAOK hasn't secured anything, I really think PAOK will finish 4th or 5th after the playoffs.

All playoff teams secured a spot in Europa League including PAOK.

I understand that but I think he was referring to an automatic group stage qualification through the 3rd place spot for PAOK is confirmed, which it isn't because they might have to at qualifying rounds. Because he continued by saying "there's a possibility we don't get into European competition at all."

^No way! We never beat that team! Any time we face them ,we get eliminated with away goals rule!

I would like to face Ajax since it would be early in the season and teams try to find themselves?!

^^Ajax second to Brugge imo I just think Brugge is more favourable for us talent wise Ajax is way above Brugge early season or not :)

Like 1789 mentioned even if you get past Brugge/Ajax/Monaco, in the playoff round you are looking at Manchester United, Valencia, Bayer Leverkusen. If you lose the good thing is that you get to go directly to the group stage of Europa League.        

No you have to do play offs to get into Europa...

There is a reasonable chance that PAO does not see any European football.... the 2nd spot isn't all that great considering we aren't ranked anymore

We shall see how things plan out I remain confident we will do very well :)