Phantis Forums

PAE PAOK General News (2017-2018)

pash

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 3/12/2018 at 3:31 AM, Klaous said:

Yes, you are absolutely right in that the Greek league is indeed a circus. And of course, it would be much better if Greece had the same standards and the same mentality that Canada has. Well, at least if you like Greece to become more orderly that is, since some do prefer the Balkanic mentality and do not want that Greece becomes more westernized. If we had every season a fair competition  without any violence, hate and θέατρο etc pp. and just could focus on the sport we love to see. This would be indeed much more enjoyable I think. 

However, I do not believe that Greece is able to pull that off and become a more civilized country. Maybe things are going to be better in the future, but I would not bet on that. Greek society needs to change its mentality in order to solve the majority of issues this country is dealing with right now. Regarding football, away fans are not even allowed in stadiums anymore, because we could actually have some bloodbaths there. This is not the standard of a western country. We are a Zougla compared to countries like Canada, seeing how much hate there is. I mean, yes, I dislike Olympiakos and its practices for example, but I would not want to harm any Olympiakos fan or team member physically because of that, though some people in Greece have a different view about this and prefer to have επεισόδια. Those are the ones who should not be allowed entry into the stadiums anymore. And I am not only talking about PAOKtsides here, the fans of all the other Greek clubs have a lot of troublemakers as well. I'd say that hate and violence is the main problem in Greek football.

Of course some will now say that corruption is also an issue, but considering this season, I think the situation has become much more even in comparison to the last 20 years. Although, I do not know how the situation in the lower leagues is.

This is a great post, I agree, it's just not in their culture... for who knows how long its been madness in Greece, I read somewhere this morning and I can not find it but the anarchist mentality has truly got the better of Greece.

Call me crazy but I have always said, they're better off having people from abroad running the League, professionals from US, UK, Canada or Australia, Omogenis and if possible remove the corrupt owners who pull the check book or what not. Something needs to change once and for all

On 3/11/2018 at 9:53 AM, jvc said:

Middle East.  ....  I'm sure if this happens in England,  no team would dare taking this to court.....and do you know why?  Because they care about the product first.   In Greek culture,  they care about themselves first....it's a culture of feeling proud of cheating the system.   No matter the outcome of this....the Greek crap product will continue to be crap,  and the season is spoiled from every angle.  If anyone is wondering why the league is cheap,  poor fan attendance around the league,  low T.V. revenues, 10 dollar ticket price....the reason is,  the product and management of the product is poor.

My thoughts exactly. This mess is 100% Greek-made.

• 2 weeks later...

These are the games that PAOK players will miss due to accumulation of yellow cards:

Pelkas - Panionios (Round 27), Xanthi (Round 28)
Mauricio - Panionios (Round 27)
Matos - Xanthi (Round 28)

• 1 month later...

Received an email yesterday from PAOK saying that those of us that bought the PAOK-Oly match will get *both* tomorrow's game vs Platanias *and* the season home opener later this summer for free.

Μπράβο του. Πρώτη φορά μετά τον κοντό. Πάνε 12 χρόνια τώρα... Και του Ναλιτζή προηγουμένως δεν πιάνεται γιατί τη μισή χρονιά την είχε παίξει στον Πανιώνιο. Μπράβο του και πάλι. Ελπίζω να ρίξει ένα-δύο και στον τελικό!

• Like it 1

• 2 weeks later...

Lucescu is reportedly very close to signing his extension.

He and Michel have also set the preseason to begin on June 20th, with the training camp in The Netherlands to begin on the 22nd.

Somewhere I read that there will be two training camps. Both in Holland. The team will return to Thessaloniki after the first one and then one week later will travel back to Holland for the second one.

Really? That seems strange. Unless there's something planned for their time in Thessaloniki that would fall right in between? I'd get it if we went to a second country so we could get more friendlies under our belt, but two in Holland makes little sense to me.

• 3 weeks later...

So Savvidis is going to put in 11 million more euros according to http://www.sport24.gr/football/omades/Paok/mono-amk-11-100-000-eyrw-sthn-pae-paok.5213982.html.

So is this the amount we are in the "red" by this season ?  One has to wonder at what point this becomes unsustainable.  Incidentally, is there a way to find out PAOK's finances for previous seasons ?

without looking at the books it's hard to tell how bad this is.

for instance if this is all debt accrued this year [and not forward planning like transfer budget] we also need to be mindful of how many lockouts we've had, fines paid, early works for the new stadium and any other one off items.

regarding sustainability long term i guess it all depends on how secure Ivan's finances are?

18 minutes ago, Athens4 said:

The guy just sold SEKAP and Donskoy to a Japanese tobacco firm. He is a billionaire.

Yeah I'm not concerned on if Savvidis can finance it.  10 million a year out of his pocket is in all likelihood not a big deal.  I'm thinking more about what PAOK can afford if it the club had to stand on its own.  I mean the wages bill is just enormous these days.  Before Savvidis most of the squad were on between 100K - 200K.  A few players over that and maybe one or two 300+.  Now, it's just crazy.  At least for PAOK anyway.

Does anyone have any idea of who (a) how many non-EU players are allowed in the GSL and (b) who our non-EU players are ?

From what I can tell, the limit is 5 and currently we have Rey, Matos, Mauricio but this seems wrong.  I'm sure there is one more player I'm missing.

mihojevic - rey - matos - mauricio - warda - prijovic - campos - shakhov

all these guys play for countries not in the EU but I'm not sure what the employment rules are for say someone like prijo who is swiss/serb and both countries dont belong to the EU. does switrzerland have an agreement with the EU for employment purposes? campos may be portuguese for employment purposes as his father played pro football there.

2 hours ago, Nea Bafra said:

mihojevic - rey - matos - mauricio - warda - prijovic - campos - shakhov

all these guys play for countries not in the EU but I'm not sure what the employment rules are for say someone like prijo who is swiss/serb and both countries dont belong to the EU. does switrzerland have an agreement with the EU for employment purposes? campos may be portuguese for employment purposes as his father played pro football there.

This is where it gets fuzzy.  Take Shakhov who is from Ukraine.  Ukraine is not part of the EU but I believe for UEFA's purposes Ukraine is not counted as a non-EU nation.  If I have this wrong, then Xatseridi just took up a slot as he's from Ukraine.

1 hour ago, Bananas said:

This is where it gets fuzzy.  Take Shakhov who is from Ukraine.  Ukraine is not part of the EU but I believe for UEFA's purposes Ukraine is not counted as a non-EU nation.  If I have this wrong, then Xatseridi just took up a slot as he's from Ukraine.

no pontian free pass?

damn i better get my daughter's second passport sorted so she can play for the ladies team

• Like it 1

Prijovic counts as an EU player for our purposes due to his Swiss citizenship (and resulting close-but-not-part-of connection)

Shakhov does not count as a domestic/EU player. Confirmed on the limit of 5, we are three over at the moment (Rey has Italian citizenship, and Campos/Varela are also Portuguese)

Mihojevic - Matos - Mauricio - Hacheridi - Warda - Henrique - Shakhov - Jairo

Azevedo would also count, but we confirmed we weren't going to pick him up for next season, so no issues there.

Essentially, we need to get rid of three players. Jairo has no future with us, and Mihojevic will likely be loaned out.  It'll boil down to who we get a better offer for - Warda or Henrique.

Edited by pash