Phantis Forums

Other Teams/Leagues Discussion

Blackhawk

15 hours ago, Blackhawk said:

UEFA should have never cancelled the Cup Winners Cup. Real cup competition with teams that actually won cups taking part.

I do miss the old competitions and formats.  Especially the randomness of it where it was knock out from round 1 and you could get big teams playing each other at any stage.  Alas, it is what it is, or rather, it was what it was.  It’ll never come back.  The new formats with groups is nice too, as it guarantees 6 games which for a lot of teams is a big deal.

• Like it 1

15 hours ago, pash said:

Could be. Though a tighter Europa League may actually garner a bit more interest than it does now.

Another implication is that the 3rd place teams from the CL wouldn’t drop into the EL.  Which is kind of a big deal as they tend to dominate.

I wonder how many EL winners came from this route ?  Need to ask our resident spam bot @Dutch Eagle.

He's my favorite internet robot. A SmarterChild for the modern age.

I didn't think about the dropouts not making their way through. That would be a great boost for the teams already in the EL. It's terrible that they struggle to get through a group stage only to find half a dozen heavyweights come in on the next round.

I’m reading UEFA are going to review the away goals rule.  I hope they do.  I’ve always HATED this rule.  It was created back in the day when teams were lucky to have one foreigner in the squad, and were lucky to get a VHS tape of the opposition for analysis.  So teams would just play super defensive away, just to be safe.  Those days are long gone.  And besides, it just skews games in an unnatural way.

I won’t bother discussing the 3 points for a win rule, that’s a discussion for another decade.

21 hours ago, SydneyPAOK said:

Not always blackhawk. The runner's up also took part on many occasions when the cup winner was also the league champion. Nowadays with the champions league taking up more spots you would potentially even have semi finalists of domestic cups participating. 

True but they would have come from a cup competition. The other aspect could be taken care off by limiting the CL competition strictly to league winners, just like it used to be. However that is impossible to do these days.

BTW as PAOK out best European showing was in the Cup Winners Cup back in 1973-74. 

That shows that the majority of AEK fans do not like what they see. Both from their owner and their team.

Their is no reason for a team that sold 25.500 season tickets with Ntemi Nikolaidis as president, to be selling 13.000 after they won the title and they made it to the CL group stage. I guess the only reason would be, they don't like what they see on the field (θεατρινισμοί, ψευτοτσαμπουκάδες και τα ρέστα), their PAE moves (losing solid players with no replacement, plus a huge effort to brainwash the fans, eg. prove that the loss of Oikodomos is actually for their benefit), and possibly in the back of their minds they know that PAOK deserved last's years title and proved it by beating them in the cup final (even though they will never admit it).

13K season tickets for a team which won the championship, is playing CL, and building new stadium means something is wrong. That number might be expected for a team like Iraklis or Panionios, not for AEK. But of course that's me. If you think 13K for them is a decent number that's another story. But let me remind you, they once sold 25.500 ten years ago.

Putting this here as it's a very general topic - looks like FIFA is clamping down on loans. I, for one, think this is a great idea. Clubs buy way too many players with no intention of every playing them. While this is especially true for the biggest clubs, PAOK also has this addiction. Clean up the team sheets, people!

Also - imagine how this would have changed the Super League a few years ago, when the only club that could afford to buy each team's breakout player was Oly?

http://www.insideworldfootball.com/2018/09/13/fifa-set-clamp-big-club-player-loan-deals/

On 9/9/2018 at 7:30 AM, pash said:

I'm sure that fan just walked. He was a good boy who felt his tummy hurt, therefore should not be penalized.

If I were in charge, he would have been literally crucified.

Greece’s problem right there... the idiot created so much problems and outrage,  yet is let off?? You get arrested for much smaller things elsewhere but this gets let off...

As said, it’s a cultural thing in Greece but surely common sense needs to prevail there eventually, not to mention accountability by the idiots in power

You're talking small potatoes here. The case was being postponed at every court appearance using various excuses, which is a normal thing in judicial Greece. The verdict against the guy will probably come down 5 years from now.

Here you have people that tried to smuggle two tons of heroin into the country and nobody is blinking an eye.

AEK - I doubt they will be able to challenge for the title all the way. They have limited players in the midfield and they rely on average but passionate players. Last year they went very well, but they had Lazaros and Araujo doing a lot of work. I expect them to finish in the 3rd place.

Olympiakos - They are so much better than last year. If Natkho and Toure play up to their potential they will be the team that will challenge us the most. They have some OK players and plenty of them came this year so they are not a team yet, but they have some top class players like Podense who is reminding me Vieirinha before Wolfsburg.

PAOK - We have the biggest advantage of having a team that has been together for a year. Also we have the best roster overall and plenty of good rotation players. Our problem is on the midfield, less than AEK's though. Pontus has to match the expectations otherwise we will have problems. If Pontus becomes the leader in the midfield, hopefully Mauricio/Canas/Shakhov can play better next to him as well. We have so many options behind Prijovic (Limnios, Warda, Jaba, El Kaddouri, Pelkas, Biseswar) and this is great, especially with the crazy upcoming schedule. And of course we have Prijovic. He cannot play the ball as Livaja can do outside the box, but he is the best striker of the league and this gives us a solid advantage over them.

Panathinaikos and Aris - I didn't watch any of their games. It seems they are doing really well. I would say they will fight with Atromitos and Asteras for the positions 4-5. I don't think any of the other teams Panionios, PAS, Panaitolikos, etc will be able to challenge for positions 4-5.