Phantis Forums

Other Teams/Leagues Discussion

Blackhawk

The first Atromitos goal was a beauty. Charisis at fault on the tying goal.

Aris could have gotten a penalty, but the ref said no. Also the ball probably went out of play before the hand ball.

Aris - AEL  0:0

DAC - Atromitos 1:2

Should help in the European coefficient points total, although Aris win over a team from the country we need to overtake would have been good.

• 2 weeks later...

I may be oldfashioned but In liked the old Europa cup, cupwinnerscup and UEFA cup. Just one champion, one cupwinner and one to four teams in the UEFA cup according to the coefficients. And only knock out games. Some ties in the qualification at this moment are what football is really about.

I don't like the current system with this GS and only six, I repeat six (!!!!!!) spots to earn for the other 45 members of UEFA. I barely watch games. And the future format is worse. I refuse to watch this money-league for these happy few.

• Like it 1

1 hour ago, Dutch Eagle said:

I may be oldfashioned but In liked the old Europa cup, cupwinnerscup and UEFA cup. Just one champion, one cupwinner and one to four teams in the UEFA cup according to the coefficients. And only knock out games. Some ties in the qualification at this moment are what football is really about.

I don't like the current system with this GS and only six, I repeat six (!!!!!!) spots to earn for the other 45 members of UEFA. I barely watch games. And the future format is worse. I refuse to watch this money-league for these happy few.

Its bullshit, there making it harder and harder for smaller teams to become big. I hope it bites them hard in their ass, and that viewership actually falls further. Champions league was so much more interesting when small teams where able to get to semi-finals and finals, probably the viewership would had been more if the more if it happened more often  (aka supporting the black horse).

ts an unattractive product? Not a lot of people care about watching another countries team, so making sure these big teams are cemented is not going to help. Another reason they mentioned is that its supposed to help small teams compete? But how exactly, when the big cemented teams are rich beyond measure. 

I guess we might be facing a basketball like situation where a large amount of Europeans teams go F*** it and create their own international tournament with fairer rules.

Edited by Nilaul
  • Like it 1

I do honestly think that each country should be limited two two spots in champions league, done. That's how you make champions league fair. Its a league of champions. 1st teams go in automatically 2nd teams play off. This way a few leagues don't hog all the revenue from champions league. 

Or another option is that no country qualifies automatically and they all have to play through playoffs and each country gets two representatives. So essentially that could equal two games each before the champions league, with some extremely low league teams having to play a few extra games.

Edited by Nilaul

UEFA don't care about fair. It's all about $$$. What gives them more viewership the 3rd placed team in England (Chelsea) or the champions of Latvia? The issue is these clubs hold all the power now. They are so big as brands that wherever they go the fans and viewership will follow. We've all heard of the rumored "European super league" where all the powerhouses clubs are going to breakaway and form their own league. This is just UEFA trying to keep these big clubs happy and ultimately the small clubs suffer. 

I too like the way the old European Cup was formatted (before my time never got to see it) Just Champions from every UEFA nation and knockout football all the way. Brilliant concept. But can anyone imagine the Champions league with just one of Barcelona and Real? or one English club? Or just one German/Italian Club? 

• Like it 2

45 minutes ago, paokarag4 said:

UEFA don't care about fair. It's all about $$$. What gives them more viewership the 3rd placed team in England (Chelsea) or the champions of Latvia? The issue is these clubs hold all the power now. They are so big as brands that wherever they go the fans and viewership will follow. We've all heard of the rumored "European super league" where all the powerhouses clubs are going to breakaway and form their own league. This is just UEFA trying to keep these big clubs happy and ultimately the small clubs suffer. 

I too like the way the old European Cup was formatted (before my time never got to see it) Just Champions from every UEFA nation and knockout football all the way. Brilliant concept. But can anyone imagine the Champions league with just one of Barcelona and Real? or one English club? Or just one German/Italian Club? 

Yeah latvia wouldnt even get in under my own format, their league level would be too low to get in directly. 55 leagues, not all will be able to qualify directly. Probably something like the top 15-20, the remaining would be thought over in the playoffs.

Your point with the viewership revenue is correct, especially with a small nation team like latvia.

Well if the powerhouses clubs want to break away then let them; the way we are heading I wouldn't be suprised if non-powerhouse clubs decided to break away. Maybe it would be better to let the powerhouse break away, have their own little club, while UEFA can scrap the whole farce and start from scratch. The effect would be that suddenly every team in Europe becomes an attractive investment opportunity; no unfair uphill battle to get into champions league. The smaller teams start building their own fan bases and eventually may grow as big. The level of football would be more equal, thus the product more interesting. Which in the long term might make more money. Watching a Champions league where same  teams win it every year certainly isn't interesting.

Edited by Nilaul

The smaller clubs have no leverage at all. Whatever the big dogs want, they will get - I guarantee you. I could not imagine the PAOKs of the world successfully launching a competing product, even if they would all agree to do it!

• Like it 1

UEFA should have NEVER formed the UEFA Cup to being with. The UEFA Cup-Winners Cup was the second best competition behind the UEFA Champions League. I agree with Nilaul, the Champions League should limit to two clubs from one nation. 

The CL concept started off well.  I never really agreed with it but I could understand the concept of having groups, seedings and the like as it meant "big" games would be played a little more often.  Before when it was the European Cup it really was luck of the random draw with no seedings so in Round 1 you could have AC Milan vs Real Madrid for example.  The only thing that never felt "right" was having more than one team from the same country.  Sure mate, Liverpool 2 x European Champions in recent times ... but haven't won their own league.  A joke really.

What it is now and has been for say the last 7 or so years is just an abomination.  I dislike everything about it.  I don't think I've watched a full game in 5 years.  Just don't find it interesting anymore.  Back in the day it actually was interesting because a team from Serbia might beat a team from Spain.  You really didn't know and that did actually make it interesting.

I'm sure UEFA will say "but hey Bananas you're **SO WRONG**, just look at all the money made, it's proof this is the better way".  And maybe it is for UEFA, and the G14 clubs, and for the masses that actually enjoy watches the CL these days, but for me, nah, not interested.  4 teams from one country and zero from others, sure mate, that's real interesting.

I hope (but don't expect) that all the National Football Leagues break away from UEFA if this is the case.  They should revolt, if they have half a brain, but like I say, I don't expect it.

4 hours ago, Bananas said:

The CL concept started off well.  I never really agreed with it but I could understand the concept of having groups, seedings and the like as it meant "big" games would be played a little more often.  Before when it was the European Cup it really was luck of the random draw with no seedings so in Round 1 you could have AC Milan vs Real Madrid for example.  The only thing that never felt "right" was having more than one team from the same country.  Sure mate, Liverpool 2 x European Champions in recent times ... but haven't won their own league.  A joke really.

What it is now and has been for say the last 7 or so years is just an abomination.  I dislike everything about it.  I don't think I've watched a full game in 5 years.  Just don't find it interesting anymore.  Back in the day it actually was interesting because a team from Serbia might beat a team from Spain.  You really didn't know and that did actually make it interesting.

I'm sure UEFA will say "but hey Bananas you're **SO WRONG**, just look at all the money made, it's proof this is the better way".  And maybe it is for UEFA, and the G14 clubs, and for the masses that actually enjoy watches the CL these days, but for me, nah, not interested.  4 teams from one country and zero from others, sure mate, that's real interesting.

I hope (but don't expect) that all the National Football Leagues break away from UEFA if this is the case.  They should revolt, if they have half a brain, but like I say, I don't expect it.

Under the new proposed changed, from what I gathered it makes national leagues rather useless. Its gonna have a trickle effect their own league, where their league doesn't get any money because, tis always the same teams going in because of their rankings and not league position. So even the big teams with half a brain should see how bad this could be a few years down the line. 

And the worst of the worst, when you have a final where both teams are from the same country.  Good lord what a joke.  Like I said, I hope the national associations realize what's happening and revolt.  I believe UEFA have foreseen this and I'm guessing this is why they're creating Europa League 2, which I don't mind as a concept per se, but it has a "let's throw them some crumbs" feel to it. 

Funny thing is these "threats" by the G14 to make a break way league.  I couldn't care less.  But let's say they did it, how would their fans react ?  Go tell Liverpool fans there will never be a merseryside derby.  Sure that'll go down real well.

G14 should totally break away and create the own league, it would fail spectacularly when they realise that only a few people actually want to watch other countries same exact teams battle it out.

Apparently the proceeds (around 250K Euro) from the Aris - Molde game were stolen from the house belonging to the cousin of PAE "O" Aris majority share holder Theodoros Karypidis.

That's one weird story if you ask me. I'll wait for yiankos to give us full explanation.

• Like it 1
  • Haha 1