Phantis Forums

Other Teams/Leagues Discussion

Blackhawk

I brought up population to elucidate the point about the market in Poland being larger in absolute terms (thus correlated to a larger pool). The second comparison I made (per-capita wealth) shows that even if Greece had the same population, Poland would still have a more valuable market. In other words, Greece is screwed in two ways - it has many fewer people (1:3.5 ratio), and even if the populations were equal, Poland would still be more wealthy (albeit only slightly more so).

If you were to strictly talk about countries that were more comparable in terms of population - like Belgium - the per-capita wealth situation becomes more bleak. Belgium is light years ahead of Greece and Poland. Wiki isn't always the best source, but checking there I can see that their per-capita allocation of GDP (nominal) is around 47k vs Greece's 21k (224% higher). This is a massive difference. Just to add to the comparison - if you were to compare Kazakhstan's ratio relative to Greece, you'd see Greece is about 200% higher. In other words....the average purchasing power of a Greek is closer to that of a Kazakhstani than it is to a Belgian.

Now, this is all grossly simplifying the issues at play. The TL;DR to what I'm trying to say is that Greece is screwed both in terms of competitiveness for each potential customer, AND in terms of sheer market size. Long story short: we ain't gettin' a pay day.

-edit- spelling

Edited by pash
  • Like it 1

Yeah, they are - that's where them having the significantly larger market comes into play. Would you rather have $2 from a million people, or $20 from a thousand?

Portugal is a much better goal to strive for though - I think we SHOULD try to match them, at least as far as the league's level (and monetization) go. There's no reason why their league should be so so so so much better than ours, given how similar the countries are. Differences between their TV payout and ours is where you can start talking about inefficiencies (or deficiencies) in the Greek market. If you want to compare the two, and say Greece is leaving money on the table, than I think you're right...but Greece's economy is in much worse condition than Portugal's, which is something that my comparison doesn't take into account. I really don't keep abreast of things like advertising rates, but I'd imagine the effect of costs being passed up - from things like mass unemployment and noncompetitive commodity pricing policies - contribute to a lower bottom line and less ability/willingness to accept higher advertising fees. Like, you can take virtually every possible economic problem in the textbooks and Greece is probably experiencing it.

Plus since we're on a Greek forum, someone should be coming in any second now to say that bribes or some other conspiracy theory are actually responsible. I doubt they move the needle that much, myself.

3 hours ago, PAOTHEGREAT said:

I can't see why we can't get back to 10 million each for the big clubs....that was the revenues 15 years ago.   

Yeah that's when the big two that destroyed the game in Greece were supported by either a hefty TV contract from government owned broadcaster and the other one from government phone company. 

Since the 2008 economy crash  that kind of money is no longer available. Heck the whole country is bankrupt and you expect somebody to really pour money into a product that can't be trusted. Unless it is somebody that is crazy and pours in money because of his hobby.

The first thing that needs to be fixed is to make the product trustworthy and corruption free. I don't see any indication that this will happen anytime soon.

• Like it 2

Ρε παιδιά κάθιστε και μιλάτε για ανούσια πράγματα, ενώ η μεγάλη ομάδα της Β. Ελλάδας έκανε ΤΡΕΙΣ νίκες σερί! Και αν δεν το πιάσατε με την πρώτη το ξαναγράφω. ΤΡΕΙΣ, 3, ΙΙΙ, νίκες σερί! Όπως και στην αρχή του πρώτου γύρου έκαναν τρεις νίκες και μετά είχαμε τα ΗΜΝΣΓ, έτσι και τώρα αφού έκαναν τρεις νίκες είναι έτοιμοι για τον υπέρ πάντων αγώνα!

Θόδωρα Καρύπαρε με την προπονητάρα τον Παντελίδη, πάμε γερά!

• Like it 1

1 hour ago, PAOTHEGREAT said:

So what you're telling me now is....if you prove to the millions of PAO fans,  that the league is corruption free,  they will start watching Greek soccer?   I'm telling you that's absolutely the furthest from being a fact.  PAO, and OLYMPIAKOS which in fact make up well over 50 percent of the fan base....don't give a rats ass about proving it's a legit product.   All they care is to have top quality sides measuring up to European football....that's the culture of Greek football.   What needs to happen is to change the culture and raise the level on the playing field.   If PAOK qualifies for the CL....and advances deep into the playoff rounds,  you watch how many Greek bandwagoners jump on board. 

We all know that when it comes to European matches most Greeks don't care who is playing and that they'll support any Greek team like it is their national team. Granted we take the piss out of the other team's European performance and use it in our "local" arguments but at the end of the day, we all support each other regardless of whos playing.  It's probably similar everywhere. I reckon English fans will support their local team in CL, Italians the same etc.

What each team can do locally, is hope to grow their fanbase domestically. That would take clever marketing etc and favourable results. It is a long process, but they should all at least be able to pull fans from their local area.  If they downright suck, then nothing can really help them. Except for some sort of goverment plan. I reckon if the government is going to be involved it should be involved properly (not by funding, but by enforcing a set of laws and action plan). But whenever the government tries to help we have someone complaining, because that upsets the balance of power somewhere, and this is why we are a stuck in today's standstill.

We have teams complaining because they will be relegated, and they all want to be in 1st league even though that is one of the big factors causing the financial troubles in the first place. We also have teams trying to manipulate the league , inorder to potentially have an easier time (aka Aek's very stupid league plan), and we have teams were owners just want to cash out asap, instead of thinking of the long term bigger profits. We also have owners who know nothing about running a club, bringing their own club into to the ground, and telling fairytales to their fans and being to proud to admit that they failed and let someone else take over the club (like Alizoufos). 

Edited by Nilaul

16 hours ago, Yiankos said:

Ρε παιδιά κάθιστε και μιλάτε για ανούσια πράγματα, ενώ η μεγάλη ομάδα της Β. Ελλάδας έκανε ΤΡΕΙΣ νίκες σερί! Και αν δεν το πιάσατε με την πρώτη το ξαναγράφω. ΤΡΕΙΣ, 3, ΙΙΙ, νίκες σερί! Όπως και στην αρχή του πρώτου γύρου έκαναν τρεις νίκες και μετά είχαμε τα ΗΜΝΣΓ, έτσι και τώρα αφού έκαναν τρεις νίκες είναι έτοιμοι για τον υπέρ πάντων αγώνα!

Θόδωρα Καρύπαρε με την προπονητάρα τον Παντελίδη, πάμε γερά!

Χαχαχαχαχ Είσαι beyond άπαιχτος λέμε, σχεδόν χρήζεις ψυχανάλυσης θα έλεγα! ??

Σου έκανα Like γιατί οι υπόλοιποι συνοπαδοί σου έχουν σοβαρότατη κουβέντα βλέπω παραπάνω, παρεμβάλλεσαι, και ενώ παίρνεις (πήρες) πρωτάθλημα, εσύ προτιμάς να τους αλλάξεις θέμα και να ασχοληθείς με τις 3 σερί νίκες του Άρη και τον ... Παντελίδη!

• Like it 1

Φίλε εγώ είμαι αντικειμενικός. Τα είπα και παραπάνω, δεν ξέρω αν τα είδες.

Ο Τσίπρας δίνει το πρωτάθλημα στον Σαββίδη. Είναι στημένο. Ο Ολυμπιακός άξιζε το πρωτάθλημα γιατί παίζει την καλύτερη μπάλα κάτι που παραδέχονται όλοι. Τη δεύτερη θέση την αξίζει η ΑΕΚ γιατί έχει τα περισσότερα δοκάρια και ως γνωστόν στα δύο δοκάρια ένας βαθμός δώρο. Την τρίτη θέση την αξίζει ο "Ο Α.Ρ.Η.Σ." γιατί ο Καρύπαρος είναι προεδράρα, καθαρό σωματείο, δεν έχει σχέση εξάρτησης με άλλους προέδρους/δανεικούς ή ελεύθερους παίκτες κλπ. Μην στα πολυλογώ, ο ΠΑΟΚ έπρεπε να τερματίσει 8ος, αλλά ας όψεται ο Σύριζα που του χαρίζει το πρωτάθλημα. Ξεκάθαρη εύνοια σε κάθε παιχνίδι υπέρ του. Φέρνουν και ξένους διαιτητές στα ντέρμπι όπου τα στήνει όλα. Κανείς δεν έχει νίκη με ξένους διαιτητές εκτός από τον ΠΑΟΚ. Τυχαίο; Και με την ΑΕΚ έμεινε με 10 ο ΠΑΟΚ για να πάρει έστω ισοπαλία η ΑΕΚ και να μην έχει μόνο νίκες ο ΠΑΟΚ. Ξεκάθαρη εύνοια και πάλι υπέρ του ΠΑΟΚ.

Η Αιλάδα απαιτεί να σφυρίζουν μόνοι οι Κομίνηδες και σία για να επιστρέψουν οι Κυριακές μας πίσω. Παραδέχομαι φίλε το κακό που έχει κάνει ο Σαββίδης στην Θεσσαλονίκη, την χώρα και την υφήλιο. Ευτυχώς υπάρχουν οι οπαδοί του "Ο Α.Ρ.Η.Σ." που μου άνοιξαν τα μάτια.

Διαβάζω Καραπαπά και Σάββα Θεοδωρίδη και μετά πηγαίνω στον Χρύσανθο Τσαλτίδη για να μορφώνομαι. Τώρα βρίσκομαι στις αναλύσεις του πώς ο "Ο Α.Ρ.Η.Σ." μπορεί την 3η θέση, αν δεν υπήρχε η σφαγή με τον Εργοτέλη θα είχε σηκώσει το Κύπελλο και πώς αυτές οι τρεις σερί νίκες δείχνουν πρωτάθλημα ξανά όπως το έκαναν και οι πρώτες τρεις στην αρχή του πρωταθλήματος. Το κυριότερο; Η ομάδα φορμαρίστηκε πριν τον σημαντικό αγώνα στο τζαμί, όπου το διπλό απαιτείται για να μην πάρει αήττητος το πρωτάθλημα ο ΠΑΟΚ.

Για κλείσιμο μερικά ποστ οπαδών της ομάδας σου που ξεχειλίζουν από ποιότητα και ήθος:

1) Μακάρι να πάρει φωτιά το πούλμαν και να είναι μέσα και ο Τσετσένος μπαμπουίνος

2) Το 1985 ήταν ο Κίμωνας... το 2019 είναι ο Αλέκσης...

Αυτοί είσασταν, αυτοί είστε και θα είστε...

Ξεφτιλισμένα όντα...

3) Που σαι σκ@τοτουρκε...

Πάρτο και βάλτο στον πάτο σου... μετά από 73 χρόνια θα καταφέρεις να φτάσεις τα πρωταθλήματα αυτών που ήταν, είναι και θα είναι οι εφιάλτες σου...

Μακεδονομάχοι του κ@λου που το 2008 πανηγυρίζατε τα γκολ του μπινέ του Γκαλέτι και του μπινέ του Κοβάσεβιτς...

73 χρόνια... όχι ένα, όχι δύο, όχι δέκα... ΕΒΔΟΜΗΝΤΑΤΡΙΑ ΧΡΟΝΙΑ χρειάστηκες...

Και για να το πετύχεις, έπρεπε να έρθει ένας φυτευτός πράκτορας...

Βάλτε την εξυγίανση στον πάτο σας... και θα λογαριαστούμε από δω και πέρα για τα καλά...

Πσόφο κακό...

Υγ. Γ@μώ τον αλλάχ σας...

16 minutes ago, pash said:

I can only imagine how happy Yianni is that he finally got a response. This is the best Valentine's Day gift EVER!

Τα λες αυτά επειδή είσαι κομπλεξικός και δεν παραδέχεσαι ότι η μεγαλύτερη ομάδα της Βουλγαρίας είναι ο "Ο Α.Ρ.Η.Σ."!

• Like it 1

Just now, PAOTHEGREAT said:

Say goodbye to Tsipras!!!   It's time for real leadership!   No more communist!!!  Get ready....we are coming with a vengeance!

Ο Βελουχιώτης ζει ρε κουφάλες!

Ο Τσίπρας κομμουνιστής;

Δεν ξεχνάμε τι σημαίνει δεξιά! Σκατά στον Μητσοτάκη τον χλέμπουρα!

22 hours ago, PAOTHEGREAT said:

So what you're telling me now is....if you prove to the millions of PAO fans,  that the league is corruption free,  they will start watching Greek soccer?   I'm telling you that's absolutely the furthest from being a fact.  PAO, and OLYMPIAKOS which in fact make up well over 50 percent of the fan base....don't give a rats ass about proving it's a legit product.   

We know those two teams don't give a s%$#! about the product. They did anything in order to get their hands on CL money using any means possible. However those two make up only 50% of the fan base as you claim. What about the other 50%? They don't matter? As a result you get a league that is one of the worst in Europe.

The best solution is to have PAO, Olympiakos and even AEK play in 3-team league and play each other 20 time during the season and let the other teams play in a regular clean competition. 

@PAOTHEGREAT you see no difference because you haven’t been paying attention.  More teams are wanting foreign referees just to know that games aren’t corrupt.  Sad but true.  The foreign refs can make mistakes, but at least we know it’s a mistake and he wasn’t bought.

As for your saviour Mitsotakis, yeah, bring on the messiah.  I’ll know the league is swinging Athens way if foreign referees are not the norm next year.

• Like it 1

@PAOTHEGREAT

What is the point that you are trying to make? By all means have a discussion but your incoherent lectures on Greek football when you only watch basketball and ice hockey is tedious.

"yes Kokkalis and Olympiakos fixed matches to win the championship....we all know that,  and PAOK had absolutely nothing to cry about because they were miles behind.  PAO competed and beat world class sides regularly from the 90s leading up to mid 2000s....Olympiakos was killed by the opposition in the CL....PAOK never had that quality so why are you complaining about a clean championship?"

"Right so the cheating/corruption is fair game and if your team are not good enough then you cant complain about it??

5 hours ago, PAOTHEGREAT said:

I have seen no difference this year....the typical bad officiating continues.   Are you saying PAOK is getting favorable calls?   

For somebody that proclaimed that does not watch Superleague these day you sure like to throw out BS about officiating. There will always be bad officiating. What needs to be changed is that the bad officiating is not intentional and favoring one team. Since you have not been watching the games, you should know that we now have foreign refs in the big games.  And surprisingly Olympiakos and AEK have not won a game yet with the foreign refs. That's one step forward. Next step should be foreign refs in all the games. And it's not just the officiating that needs to change. The whole structure of Greek football needs to change.

And no, PAOK is not getting favorable calls. AEK is. If you watched any games you would know.

• Like it 1

3 minutes ago, PAOTHEGREAT said:

...nothing to do with officiating.   

Ref who willingly manipulates the match report so a certain team wins the game on paper and you say it has nothing to do with officiating?  And then we have a ref who changes his decision after five minutes of being mobbed by the players, and then after one hour in the dressing room changes his decision again, and then fails to appear before the athletic judge to explain himself and you're telling me this has nothing to do with officiating? 

I always knew Olympiakos and PAO are the same corrupt scum. You can add AEK to it as well. POK has been around since 1930's.

On 2/15/2019 at 2:50 AM, pash said:

I can only imagine how happy Yianni is that he finally got a response. This is the best Valentine's Day gift EVER!

He's been casting the bait all season. I fear what will happen to the poor guy if Aris gets relegated

• Haha 1

On 2/13/2019 at 2:43 AM, Nilaul said:

Another future issue, you somehow got to tell people to dump the laptops, pay for nova and watch the game. Rather than fight the trend, maybe its wiser to embrace it, and offer free streaming to digital devices worldwide, and just cash on the ad revenue, rather than the subscriptions that no one seemingly wants to buy,

Why on Earth would I subscribe when I can watch it for free online? The real solution here would be to make ticket prices affordable, however this is a universal issue. It costs £40+ to watch a game here in London. If tickets were £10-£20 per game then I would probably watch one every week.

On 2/13/2019 at 1:18 PM, PAOTHEGREAT said:

Greek soccer will die if it needs to split money with 20 teams....10 of which that have absolutely no fan base and offer nothing.   Try 12 teams with a 44 game schedule no playoffs.  In my opinion if we have the top 6 play 4 times against each other....24 actual derbies that will increase the capital big time.   Also the bottom table matches will be interesting because of the tight race.

44 games + another 14 or so games for the cup + Europe. Dude you really need to think your ideas through. That could end up being nearly 70 games in a season.

18 minutes ago, PAOTHEGREAT said:

The tickets in Greece are 10 to 20 Euros that's poor....make tickets affordable?   You want it for free?     Over here I pay 250 dollars to watch a match.

You only have yourself to blame if you pay $250 to watch a match.

16 minutes ago, PAOTHEGREAT said:

Play the 3rd string players for the cup...200 people show up at the match.

What? Again that isn't a solution. I won't repeat myself on how the cup should be formatted but you can find my opinion on the cup thread.

Athens είσαι ωραίος ρε φίλε. Να πηγαίνεις να τους τα λες να γουστάρουμε δίπλα στα σκουλήκια. Είναι απίστευτα κομπλεξικοί οι ukworm και emperor. Ο Mitsos και ο Almand είναι ωραίοι και αντικειμενικοί.

Μας λέει ο @ukworm ότι έπεσε οικονομικά η ομάδα του, όχι αγωνιστικά. Κάνεις λάθος ukworm. Έπεσες αγωνιστικά και θα έπεφτες από την προηγούμενη χρονιά, αλλά σου έδινε δανεικούς ο Ολυμπιακός και γι' αυτό δεν έπεσες νωρίτερα. Όπως και τώρα έχεις πάρει τρεις παίκτες από τον Ολυμπιακό για να βγάλεις και τη φετινή χρονιά. Αλλά μας το παίζεις ο ανεξάρτητος. Βρε, δεκανίκι του γαύρου είσαι. Πάρτο χαμπάρι. Με γαύρο πρόεδρο. Ο Τσοχατζόπουλος πήρε διαρκείας ναι, ο κακοποιός ο οπαδός της ομάδας σου ο  Παπαγεωργόπουλος ο δήμαρχος Θεσσαλονίκης επί σειρά ετών που τώρα είναι στη φυλακή τι έκανε; Α, όχι, Άγιοι όσοι βοήθησαν τον Άρη.

Χρέη είχες κι εσύ φιλαράκο. Και αφού έπεσες στη Β' Εθνική είπες να ρίξεις κανόνι και να πας στη Γ' για να μην πληρώσεις φράγκο. Αντί να τα βάλεις όμως με τον Σκόρδα, τον Σαουρίδη, και τον Σούπερ 3 και να πεις που πήγαν τα λεφτά, σου φταίει ο Τσετσένος και ο ΠΑΟΚ. Ο καθένας παίρνει ότι του αξίζει σ' αυτή τη ζωή φιλαράκο. Εσύ έχεις για πρόεδρο τον πρώην πρόεδρο της Βέροιας και οπαδό του Ολυμπιακού. Μαζεύεις δανεικούς και ελεύθερους από τον Ολυμπιακό για να βγάζεις τις χρονιές σου. Να τη χαίρεσαι την ομαδούλα σου. Τουρνικέ τώρα πας να βάλεις το 2019. Μόνο μην εξαφανιστείς όταν θα πέσεις ξανά κατηγορία. Μαύρα μάτια κάναμε να σας δούμε τέσσερα χρόνια τώρα. Να διδάσκετε ποιότητα. ΗΜΝΣΓ και τα ρέστα. Ξέρεις εσύ. Του πανεπιστημίου εκφράσεις.

Λοιπόν, αν ο Ολυμπιακός δεν κερδίσει την ΑΕΚ θα έχει χάσει και τυπικά το πρωτάθλημα, οπότε δεν ξέρω κατά πόσο θα σε στηρίξει για να κόψεις βαθμό από τον ΠΑΟΚ στην Τούμπα. Αν δεν μαγειρέψει τίποτα δεν έχεις τύχη. Θα παρακαλάς να σταματήσουμε στα τρία όπως με το αφεντικό σου.

Α, και ναι, άνοιξε η τράπεζα την Κυριακή, και επίσης βγήκε απόφαση να μην παίξω κεκλεισμένων με ΑΕΚ τα μεσάνυχτα. Δεν αξίζω το πρωτάθλημα. Έπρεπε να το πάρει το αφεντικό σου. Έχουν ακυρωθεί λανθασμένα τρία γκολ στον Ακπόμ. Αν είναι δυνατόν. Τουλάχιστον δέκα γκολ έπρεπε να ακυρωθούν για να έχει λίγο ενδιαφέρον το πρωτάθλημα. Αμάν με τον χαλίφη τον Ιβάν. Πότε θα καθαρίσει το ποδόσφαιρο επιτέλους; Καρύπαρε προεδράρα βγες μπροστά και σάρωσέ τα όλα. Θα έχεις από πίσω σου τον πιστό σου στρατιώτη τον ukworm! Τουλάχιστον κανένα διαρκείας πήρες ρε Βρετανέ να στηρίξεις την ομάδα ή μόνο μπλα μπλα είσαι; Όχι ότι χρειάζεται κιόλας. Με τα λεφτά του Μαρινάκη πληρώνεις Φετφατζίδη και λοιπούς. Κοίτα να τα πας καλά με το αφεντικό, γιατί αν κλείσει την κάνουλα ο χοντρός και σ' αφήσει μόνο τότε ο ΟΦΗ και η Λαμία θα σε κάνουν γιο-γιο. Ξέρεις εσύ!

ΟΛΟ ΚΙ ΟΛΟ ΕΝΑ ΜΠΑΡΑΖ ΣΤΟ ΒΟΛΟ

ΤΗΝ ΙΣΤΟΡΙΑ ΓΡΑΦΕΤΕ ΣΚΟΥΛΗΚΙΑ ΜΕ ΤΟΝ ΚΩΛΟ

kind of random, but who do you guys think some of the best and worse owners in the Supa League are? I've been watching these documentaries put out a few years of all the teams in the top flight and Panaitolikos' owner Foti Kostoulas stood out to me as someone who's done a lot for the team and city of Agrinio, almost like a mini-Savvidis in a way. I'd have to say the world right now is Kougias given what he is doing to AEL Larissa at the moment. 

That is a good point, but I suppose to provide a simple answer to the question we could ask ourselves this: how many owners of Greek clubs will leave the organizations in a better situation than when they found it? I can really only think of like two or three owners where this is the case.