Phantis Forums
Dean97

Future Players Of The National Team

Kool, I'm as greek as you, but Socceroos have made 4 world cups, are Asian champions, Wanderers are still club champions when they defeated Al Hilal. Greece made 3 world cups. Lets not downplay the Aussie team. I would like both teams in the top 10 in the world if it was up to me. Giannou is also now one of the form forwards in Super League I hear. 

Panos and Ikonomidis are still very young...I have never seen Panos play, but Kris looks promising.

you can't compare the ACL with anything remotely we see in UCL/Europa....The depth and quality are on different planets...

Giannou is behind Mitro and Klaus...so at 26 his chances are limited......

• Like it 2

That is true,but the Euro championships on offer are not being won by Greek teams either fille. Let say Giannou, has now scored 5 goals in 6 matches in a league that stacks the goal-mouth full of defenders. That is a great effort and he is now in his prime, has more confidence. Greece can do a lot worse.

Edited by ausgreek

we have all been screaming out and wanting new Greek attacking players...

however for most of us giannou has never been rated highly or worthy? for largely valid reasons..

are we now talking about him because of his start with Asteras or are we scared the aussies may trump us?

If Hellas choose Giannou cause they trust him to get on the pitch all well and good. If Aussies take him good too for me. Like to see the guy translate the form into either national side. Fear that he will go shouldn't be a factor in my opinion. Greece have Mitro, Klaus and Diamantakos. For me, Samaras isn't washed up either, he remains a big match player.

Many in the know say it takes quite afew matches in a National team to find one's feet. Giannou only warmed the bench last time anyway. 

Edited by ausgreek

Heard Giorgo is with Sporting Lisbon. Like to see him back in. So Ethniki tried 53 different players. Can also say they expanded pool or at least exposed more talent to what to expect at international level, and the different conditions. Could serve the Enthiki well in coming campaigns. Like to see it expand to 56 players. Like to see Bouchalakis, Petsos and Klonaridis in the Very near future.

Greece were never going to do well in this campaign with all the elements that went against them from the get go. It took this long to get some sort of decent team chemistry. Hope it continues from here.

If Giannou accepts a call up from Greece he risks playing his few games for a national side purely experimenting, trying all options in a stage of uncertainty. There is no promise of him being a part of their plans long term.

Compared to the Australian national side, who's only consistent goal scorer Tim Cahill is at the closing stages of his career. Aside from Robbie Kruse, there isn't an Australian forward playing at a higher level, Giannou if he accepts Australia's call up will be shortlisted for future Australian national sides.

As a career move Australia seems more promising on his end, but its a decision that also depends on which country he feels he belongs to, at least I hope so, these days you wouldn't know.

• Like it 1

I think he definitely feels more Greek.

But he is way better off at Australia.

Say he feels Australian 7/10 but for career is 9/10, that's an 8

And he feels Greek  9/10 but for career it's a 6/10, that's a 7.5.

Australia is the best choice for him. 

He definitely loves both countries (representing both at a youth level)

But the fact that he moved his career to Greece indicates were his heart dominates.

A pure Aussie lover would strive for the EPL or even SPL before Greece.

Edited by georgelaz

The aussies like to cap players all the time and add to the stable.....

I would be curious to see where he fits.....yes Cahill is nearly 40...Kruse is very good but always injured and a different type of forward..

Tomi Juric is the other player...then that is it.....

As we have all said he/we/all understand that he will not get a start ahead of Mitro and Klaus.....(rightly so)....he turns 26 in January..

so his only chance at NT play is in the next 2 years to stake his claim.......Neither Greece or Australia will be banging on his door post WC 2018..When he will be 28-29...

• Like it 1

"Paul" Giannou would not have it easy at Socceroos. There is ofcourse Cahill-still banging them in, Tomi Juric, Mat Leckie, Nat Burns, Kerem Bulut who plays for Irakis FC, a natural goal scorer. Then there is Jamie McLaren, Chris Naumoff all next in line to step up.

Giannou is not as good as Aravidis, who is himself at NT level. Nuff said.

*edit - NOT at NT level.

Giannou will have a hard time cracking the starting 11 for hellas.

For Australia it SHOULD be a piece of cake, for him. No offence, Australia is not that good lol. He'd be their best striker. Cahill is finished.

Edited by georgelaz

Like you know when someone is finished. All good players mentioned are serious talent. Paul would not walk in. Our Hellas have lost some embarrassing losses. Don't downplay the Aussies Euro-snob. Hellas would love to have Cahill even now, just scored two more goals lol.

Edited by ausgreek

^ Karelis is kinda like a young Salpingindis IMO. He has a place on the team. Right now I think as our first bench sub if we need another offensive outlet.

I like that he's a courageous player. He makes difficult runs, trys to beat defenders, takes difficult shots (sometimes too difficult).

It's a quality problem though, because the majority of our ethniki wasn't taking shots unless it was a beautiful chance.

Edited by georgelaz
  • Like it 1

Karellis is still not a finished product but he does score goals.  Regarding Karnezis, you can not say he is crap because while he hasn't had that many great games for the national team, he has played very well for Udinese, getting quite a few man of the match awards. We have no other goal keeper starting in a competitive league that is doing as well. 

• Like it 1

Karnezis's performance in the WC really pissed me off. That coupled with the fact he looked like he was ready to soil his pants at any point really didn't endear him to me. But, the fact remains he's been playing really well, at a very decent club in a very decent league. He's hands down the only realistic option for GK for the foreseeable future.

• Like it 1

Karnezis was playing with an injury after the Japan game though. Keep that in mind.

He's arguebly as good, if not better than Nikopolidis in his prime at the moment.

I think we really need to groom one of our CAM into a winger, because we are seriously lacking options there.

The ideal would be Pelkas, because he has the pace and he's still young enough to acclimate to the new position.

i admit, I haven't seen him play much, so someone might no better than I if that's a good idea.

`

I don't see why GrkCdn's posts should be stirring up people, unless maybe they are hyper sensitive.  There is no swearing or cursing.  No belittling of posters or innuendo.  It's just his opinion.  I don't have to agree with it, and neither does anyone else.  If you don't like his posts, block them, but don't get your knickers in a knot because he says something you don't agree with.

• Like it 3

Ethniki should go back to 0-0 or 1-0 wins and bore everyone to tears. Infact, Tziolis should be captain for the world cup campaign, and play a 6-4-0 park the bus formation. it is just unethniki-like to win 4-3 or be enterprising and versatile---there you go, now That's offensive, not GrkCdn22 with his opinions, they're not so bad.

Although, 6-4-0 suits many on the forum.

• Like it 1

i hear a lot of things about Kourbelis on this forum what is he so good at i keep on hearing that he should have been chosen over Tziolis and stuff like that. What makes him a good player.