Phantis Forums

Future Players Of The National Team

Dean97

He was NEVER on my list..

True, you have been consistent with your view of him. I only called for his inclusion based on his form at Astera. Truth is that I never saw much in him. What I have seen of Vellios has impressed me far more compared to Giannou but I wished that Giannou had some pride to be in contention for the Ethniki even though realistically he's probably 5 or 6th at best in his position.

If he was highly valued at Astera they would never have sold him.

Asteras had no choice the money was too good....

just like Barrales before him..

his form between late 2014 and mid 2015  warranted a call up....given the disaster the NT was ..

however he was a very limited player sometimes very poor at GSL level....  he virtually did nothing at GSL level until he turned 25,,

and he had many opportunities..

• 10 months later...

I just thought id bring this topic back up as its good to discuss and analyse where our Ethniki is going. We all know that the players we depend on right now going into the World Cup are Karnezis, Torosidis, Sokratis, Samaris, Fortounis and Mitroglou. The rest like Karelis, Tachtsidis, Manolas, Papadopoulos, Stafylidis and Mantalos are needed. But who else have we got to cover these players now or in the future. I look at our talent pool and its very thin. 

Mitroglou is hit or miss some games and Samaris is very inconsistent. Which leads to our 3 main problems. Our midfield, finishing our chances and lack of wingers.

We need someone like a Zagorakis or Karagounis who can control the midfield and be a leader especially in defence and attack. Samaris is a good player in my opinion and i believe he needs to play higher up the field instead of playing really deep as he has for the past 2 years. Im not saying to put him attacking midfield but to give him the freedom to push when he wants because i believe he is very dangerous when he is around the box. For example the goal against the Ivory Coast. So i say when fit and healthy have either Papadopoulos or Torosidis play deep. I wouldent even do that i would have all my midfielders crowding the box trying to score but just to be safe we need 1 player hanging back. 

Our finishing is horrible i have to admit. I think its time to play 2 strikers because Mitroglou is not fast and does not like to run that often. So Karelis should start alongside Mitroglou or even put Fortounis as striker, which allows one of our other talented attacking midfielders to play for example, Kone or Ninis. The more players we have in the box the better the chances of scoring. 

Wingers we dont have enough of. Holebas could of played LW but what do you do. Its time for Bakasetas and others to lift up there socks and start performing or we are in trouble. I have a bit of hope though because Stafylidis is progressing and is still young which means i have faith in him and can become an even better player. Who knows he might end up being our new left winger. 

As good as Mantalos is he cant play on the wing. Id rather Fortounis but even he cant be effective on the wing. Samaras is a huge loss and so was Salpingidis. 

Another thing i want to talk about is will Kone ever return to the national team? Will Fetfatzidis ever return to the team? For now we dont know. But it would be good to have some depth as they also provide a threat when they have the ball at their feet. Also how long do we have to wait before players like Retsos, Lamprou, Limnios, Mourgos, Evangelou and Donis become established players? What 5 years, 10 years, i hope not, i hope its more like 1 or 2 years.

Also there is something about Tsimikas that makes me think he can become very useful in this team. I just hope we can produce more depth in the future because as it looks now if one of our staring players is not available there isnt enough talent to cover.

Lambrou, Limnios, Mourgos, Evangelou have a very long way to go.....None should be on the radar...today..

Retsos and Donis are ahead of them...  Retsos is a CD ...so there are a few ahead of him...

Have not seen much of Donis...No idea how he is going at Nice..other than he gets minutes semi regularly..

I also like Tsimikas...I would like to see him get more time at a higher level than he is at currently though..

How come Bobby Lykogiannis is not in our plans..was part of the youth side where him and Stafylidis manned the left side..we shoe horn guys down the left side or are not wing players..yes his league is inferior BUT he is a big kid 6'1 strong with good pace was talented enough for the youth sides but because he settles for a smaller club he is forgoitten...play Stafy at LB and him as an attacking left mid...and wow 2 leftfooters who will be able to play off of each other overlaps and both can cross my .02

I agree he should be in the mix or at least in Skibbe's mind...

However I am not sure if he is an attacking LM....I think he is a LB....No issue with him competing with Staf and Tzavellas for LB...There is really not much between all 3..

I think the attacking LM role needs a natural midfielder with more attacking flair and creativity..

13 hours ago, OFIMTL said:

How come Bobby Lykogiannis is not in our plans..was part of the youth side where him and Stafylidis manned the left side..we shoe horn guys down the left side or are not wing players..yes his league is inferior BUT he is a big kid 6'1 strong with good pace was talented enough for the youth sides but because he settles for a smaller club he is forgoitten...play Stafy at LB and him as an attacking left mid...and wow 2 leftfooters who will be able to play off of each other overlaps and both can cross my .02

I also want him to be part of the squad. I don't know where he would play as I also agree with red sheriff that we need a LW who has attacking flair. Fetfatzidis and Pelkas have flair. Also to mention Bouchalakis was part of that youth squad aswell. He can be another addition to the team like Diamantakos and Bakasetas.

hahaha I posted right away I bet he would find form in scotland. he's a big powerful player, good interception skills, and killer shot. we give him too much shit imo.

future players = kolovos, mystiakidis, bouchalakis

still really liking Kaltsas. he's a big reason why asteras is so threatening.

Tziolis should not be part of the team. He is not good enough. I'm sick of seeing slow passes and not controlling the ball properly. We have Tachtsidis and Petsos. We also have good players in Superleague. Korbos and Siopis for example. Samaris is a no brainer. Bouchalakis and Charisis need a solid amount of game time to be included. 

• 5 months later...

Lykogiannis, Kourbelis and Siopis look like hardworking players that will soon replace the likes of Tzavellas, Maniatis and Tziolis. They need a good amount of playing time. Bouchalakis and Vellios are being praised in the Nottingham Forest forums. They are players who should be looked at also. Donis is playing a higher level in the Bundesliga this year and looks as though he will grab that left wing spot for good. Another thing is the promising Retsos. He looks as though he will become an iconic player in the future.  I'd like to see him in the midfield, there's something about that says he will do well in the holding midfield role. He looks like a confident, hungry and ambitious player who is trying to progress as a player and person. I don't know which other young Greek player is like him with that much promise. I don't think there is. Yes Manthatis and Androutsos are trying, Limnios is another but no one is as hungry as Retsos. That's my interpretation.

• 1 month later...

I think Skibbe is doing a great job in transitioning this team into the next generation. Our young talent keeps getting opportunities and experience. This will not only help us on the pitch now, but avoid a collapse that we faced after WC14. 

Edited by Argy

He has had a lot of selection issues due to injury and lack of fitness.  As much as I don't care for Tziolis, he probably felt he needed experience in the middle, continuity.  As for getting as many youth players in, that doesn't work either.  Remember Ranieri, he tried a million different players and we got the worst results possible. We need consistency with a little rotation. 

Retsos, Donis, Katranis, Androutsos, Galanopoulos, Siampanis, Limnios, Manthatis, Evangelou, Nikolaou etc. 

How hard are these players willing to work to make a name for themselves. The first 2 look like they will soon prosper. With the others needing to work for everything. Ninis and Fetfatzidis have been big disappointments. 

Let's see if players like Fortounis, Mantalos, Tachtsidis, Karelis and Stafylidis can lead the younger crop like the way Sokratis, Torosidis, Karnezis and Mitroglou are right now. 

Lykogiannis, Bouchalakis and Pelkas still have time to break in this team.

I guess your right. Pelkas and Mystakidis are not playing regularly and will probably not again this season with the signings PAOK have made. Also they are easily the future of the team based by the players they are and the high potential.

Edited by Dean97

Of the two only Mystakidis has what it takes to make the NT. Unfortunately he had a serious injury that sidelined him for 8 months. Pelkas is talented, but it's wasted talent. Very selfish player. Still much better than any other choices that are making the national squad. The fact that he plays for PAOK limits his chances to make the team. Same for Mystakidis.

So as it seems they both can't be reliable in both club and country. They are both talented, but I think Pelkas can produce for Greece especially at right wing. Pelkas acceleration would be perfect for when we are around the box looking for a killer pass for him to run on to. Not only that his dribbling and passing is needed in this team. Mystakidis can be that 2nd striker and looks like he could work well with Donis and Mitroglou.  

Someone needs to put pressure on Fortounis. Mantalos should start and see how he goes. Donis will do good there but we need him on the wing. Zeca and Stafylidis did fine on the wings. But I think we need that technical player who is suited for that wing role. Mantalos is not cut out for it.