Phantis Forums

Future Players Of The National Team

Dean97

But he is bad, he's the 4th string striker behind Mitroglou Benitez and Jara. Mitroglou and Jara aren't that good at all, Benitez I havent seen so I can't comment but if he's behind two shitty players he's not that good, overhyped by the media again.

He is not bad, yes he is behind those strikers but every opportunity he has been given he has scored and to me hes a very talented youngster and he should be given more opportunities as this will improve him more as a player. i cant think of any other young striker in Greece that is as good at a level as he is. Mitroglou is out of form but he is the 2nd highest goal scorer in the league. And Peirira prefers to play jara instead of benitez but they played in the same team yesterday and did alright. Though i will still play Diamantakos because he has something to offer.

Edited by Dean97

• 2 weeks later...

Mantalos is an average footballer. If he would be top talent he wouldnt play in the 2nd division (even if for AEK) at 23, he would be somewhere abroad or would play for Olympiakos. I think he could be the symbol of the whole Ranieri era (worst production and results, inexplicable line-ups - Mantalos, Athanasiadis, Mavrias -, immature and/or crap players in the squad - Diamantakos, Skondras, Mantalos, Bakakis, Dinas, Klonaridis, Kolovos, Mavrias etc. etc.) We have already players of this type - Fortounis, Fetfatzidis, first of all. Hope he will never be capped again under Markari?n.

Petsos plays regularly for Rapid Wien this year, they are second now. He was called up once by Santos, but since then if I remember correctly he was never in the squad, perhaps because Austrian Bundesliga isnt so strong. I can fancy him as a backup defensive midfielder, he would be usable (we havent too much outstanding midfielders, I think he isnt worse than most of them, except Maniatis, Kone, Samaris and perhaps Tachtsidis).

Giannoulis was called up by Santos too, but then he was inexperienced, now he has more experience, IMO he could be an option for left-back too (I consider him - or Petsos for that matter - rather as a player who should perhaps called up, tested etc., not as a standard member of the team), because we arent so good with fullbacks now, Holebas isnt exactly world-class, he was at times a nightmare before 2014 World Cup (and after), the others who are available (Tzavellas, Spyropoulos, Karabelas, Stafylidis) are not outstanding players, most of them had problems this year (Spyropoulos was even sacked from PAOK a little while ago).

Edited by La Mendel

OK, Giannoulis doesnt perform this year so well than last season, perhaps he shouldnt be capped right now. Petsos is another matter I think, if he is good enough for Rapid Wien he could easily play for a lesser German Bundesliga club as Hoffenheim of Freiburg too (perhaps then he would be included in the Greek squad).

Maniatis is one of our best midfielders, he does much of the dirty work and was (as I remember) almost always solid.

I thought Katidis a huge loss when he got that lifelong ban, but since then he practically had no success neither abroad nor while playing for Greek teams.

@Le Mendel - Have you watched Mantalos play? Or are you just judging him because he played in the Greek 2nd division?

It just seems by your critical analysis that you havent really seen him play and dont seem to like him because Ranieri gave him a chance.

23 games, 10 goals, 15 assists is a great record 2nd division or not.

• Like it 1

I maintain my earlier statement that he shouldnt be included in the squad now even if he were healthy. He has no experience at this level (national team). I saw what he is capable for against Romania and the Faroe Islands for example. It is possible that he could be later a useful option in the national team, but nothing guarantees it, he is immature right now. (Same goes for Kolovos, Mavrias, Athanasiadis, Diamantakos, Dinas etc. etc.)  Last season he had only 6 goals and 2 assists for Skoda Xanthi, probably he wouldnt better now if he would play for a top flight club (the second division is considerably bad, even in England or Spain, let alone in Greece - no offense intended).

How exactly is he meant to gain experience at national level if you don't want him included  :huh:

By your logic we should be starting Katsouranis.

It doesnt matter what his form was like last season its what its like this season. 2nd division or not he deserves a chance. You cant assess him on 3 games where the whole team played bad.

A dozen of Champions League/Europa League games (that is, playing for Olympiakos/PAOK/Panathinaikos), 2-3 season in the strongest leagues in Europe (Germany, England etc.) will give you some experience on the highest level, it doesnt have to be the Ethniki. The head coaches probably thought similarly - some players were capped after they were successful in a league stronger than the Super League.

I think Katsouranis should be used as a sub like Karagounis after Euro 2012, mainly because of his age. His experience in this level (six major tournaments, Champions League games for AEK, Panathinaikos etc. etc.) is a strong asset.

How exactly is he meant to gain experience at national level if you don't want him included :huh:

By your logic we should be starting Katsouranis.

It doesnt matter what his form was like last season its what its like this season. 2nd division or not he deserves a chance. You cant assess him on 3 games where the whole team played bad.

He play what like 10-15 minutes against Faroe Islands?

How can he possibly make a difference in that match when the entire team played like s%$#! and were walking around?

Edited by Original 21

There's this young kid Panos Armenakas running around for an Italian club I believe. He's been touted potentially as pele, maradona, ronaldo, ibrahimovic and maniatis all rolled into one. Is he eligible for Greece ? Hot talent at 16. 

Panos has been discussed before. He accepted a Greece under-16 call up previous and played 3 times I think. He has recently succumbed to pressure from know-nothing types like old silver bollocks Les Murray from SBS to declare himself for Australia.

The kid's only 16. He has plenty of time before we see his worth.

Interesting that he has a Wikipedia entry and there's no mention of his time with the junior Greece team. Also he's a colleague of Karnezis and Kone. He's tweeted pics of himself with Kone so they could swing him to choose Greece again. Either way it's way too premature to worry about.

I dont know but i think Tzantopoulos is the future of the national team seeing him play he shows that he has potential. Also Kolovos. Im pissed off of the fact that Tatos and Ninis havent been living up to the expectation of what they should be by now but im glad that we have a few youngster coming through like Donis, Kolovos, Oikonomou and Goutas also i dont know where Triantafyllopoulos will be heading with these kind of perfromances lately.

• 1 month later...

Can't even argue with that @La Mendel guy. The team you play at does not describe the talent you carry. Sure, in better leagues and especially in better teams, much better work is done. The training is more stable and the players are far more diciplined when playing for a good team. But no, even at 23 years old you are considered young for me. Apart from Xanthi where (as someone previously said, you can't judge a player when the whole team is playing rubbish), he plays for AEK and he is one of the main reasons that team got promoted in Super league.

I am a big fan of Fortounis, Since he was playing for Kaiserlauntern but, Id like to ask you, what's the difference of a player in B League, with a player of Olympiakos, when these teams playing against each other seem equal? Im sure AEK had many players noone chose but they were like "we dont need a better one at the moment(GK for example)" we ll spend money when we promote. And as an Olympiakos , it really made me happy how good the players of AEK played. We had to win from a controversary goal (I don't care who won, thing is we saw nice football in 87 minutes from 2 greek teams). 

So my conclusion, what better does Fortounis have that Mandalos has not? Fortounis got it with the passes and the

• 3 months later...

So we continue to 'produce' CD.....  Oikonomou and now Tzanetopoulos join the long list..

Sokratis,K.Pap. Manolas,Siovas,Moras.....

the midfield we can rattle off 10 + names...but still can't get a combination that is functional....(Samaris,Taxi,Kone, Mandalos, Pelkas, Fortounis, Bouchalakis, Petsos, Ninis,Lazaros)

However regarding strikers we are very bare.....

• Like it 1

Tziolis was okay at one point. I didn't mind him at euro 2012 actually.

he is in form too at the moment so I wasn't terribly annoyed at his selection.  they really should have put fortounis in there though

I digress,

pelkas, diamantakos, bouchalakis have great potential

Diamantakos at 22 is playing in the German second division...and not scoring......

Bouchalakis has the type of playing style we need in the position we are most hurting..pity he got injured at the wrong time....Petsos is also one that needs to be looked at...

so in the 23 and under age group we have k.pap, oikonomou, Tzanetopoulos, fortounis, pelkas, diamantakos, kapino, kitsiou, fountas, giannotas, lagos, ioannidis,kourbelis, mavrias, karelis,   any others of possible note?

• Like it 1