Date: Wednesday, April 22nd, 2015

Venue: Athens Olympic Stadium (OAKA)

Competition: Football League

Round: Play-Off Game 1

Time: TBA

Form (left to right);

WWWWW              LDWDD

Edited by Dikefale11

Two of the best run teams in Greece right now. Both with a lot of young potential and both showed they can go toe to toe with Superleague teams. I think AEK has the edge even without Mandalo. I think its time to throw Cordero back into the mix and let him work his magic. 

I predict a 2-0 or 2-1

• Like it 1

The real question is who starts up front?

Aravidis who was 16 goals for us this season or Chrisantus who is turning it on.

I think Aravidis deserves the start however if things are looking bleak at least we have a good player to replace him or even throw on next to him.

I'd go with;

.......................Anestis

Bak.....Lambro...........Tzane.....Soil

...........Cordero.........Anakoglou

Platella.............Zoric................Barbosa

.......................Aravidis

I would go with this:

.....................Anesti/Voura

Bak........Kolobetsio............Tzane.......Soil

..............Cordero......Johanson......................

Platella............Anakoglou................Barbosa

.........................Aravas...................................

Their counter attacks are deadly so we need both Cordero and Johanson back there. Also I think Kolovetsio is better than Lampropoulo and with some games he'll be back to pre-injury form. Zoric I think is good but too sluggish at points and can get exposed by Hraklh's speed.

In the event that our players cant find Aravidi, we can take Cordero out, pull back Anakoglou, move Barbosa over to the 10ari, put Arava on the wing, and throw in D'acol or Krisantus. Johanson has been our most in form player so he very well may be able to control our DM positions alone. 

As for Goalie, Hraklh is also good on their set pieces. I'm afraid Anesth might be a liability. 

Edited by CHE21QNS

Jesus i must have had a brain fart I completely forgot about Johansson haha he is the first name on the sheet so definitely starts. Word on the street is Anakoglou could have a knock but the game is nearly 2 weeks away so he should be ok. Kolovetsios I agree is better but I think this is probably the most crucial game of the Playoffs and therefore starting off with a win vs our only competition is vital and so would go with the tested Lambro-Tzane combo. Either way both will do well.

• Like it 1

Anestis

Bakakis Kolovetsios Tzanetopoulos Soiledis

Johanssen Anakoglou

Aravidis Zoric Barbosa/Platellas

Chrisantus

Chrisantus and Zoric have been really great the past two-three games so they should not be taken out. Aravidis has to play no matter what. Platellas or Barbosa take the last spot. It's great that mostly all of our players are on good form.

I'm not scared of Iraklis, they park the bus and score a lucky goal or a set piece. We are a much better team than them.

I agree I think Zoric deserves the start. He has done really well while Mantalos has been out injured. Cordero can still make an appearance at some stage if we need to see out the result once its in our favour.

Up front is where the "issue" is if even you would call it that. Play Aravidis who has been our go to guy for goals this season, or bring him back in place of Platellas/Barbosa and keep the in from Chrisantus up front. Removing him could bring him back to his poor form. Who knows maybe that was due to match fitness or confidence.

Either way, these are good "issues" to have :lol:

I like Chrisantus and Zoric but objectively speaking Zoric has had 2 good games and before that had a long streak of bad games. I think he is a liability in such a crucial game for a few reasons. One is his composure when in tough situations, and the most important reason is his pace, something that I feel can burn us with Hraklh as they are a fast team and a team that relies on the counter. Couple Zoric with Chrisantus and our attack is two notches slower, not only limiting our pressing (one of our strong points), and out counters, but also leaving us susceptible to their counter. I think its good to have them against the weaker teams, but against Hraklh you have to be able to show versatility and thus far these players have shown they are good under limited circumstances.   

• Like it 1

I think it would be a bigger risk putting Cordero by himself, but with Johanson next to him, he'll have some room to add to our attack as well as our defense. At the end of the day I think we can get bitten in the ass committing too many players forward against a team that is quick and relies on counterattacks. Were better off pressing and balancing our strengths equally with emphasis on the midfield. I think Zorits and Chrisantho are a bigger risk to be honest. 

Red Sheriff yes they will likely drop points to us especially at our ground, at their ground a whole different ball game, but as I said Iraklis loses to us the gap goes to 5, if they lose to Larisa which they just did last weekend then the lead gets cut to 2 and the pressure starts to mount on them This is all theoretical ofcourse, but their lead can be caught, we have seen teams lose titles from 8 point leads and considering there are 10 games to be played anything can happen.

As for AEK we need to win our 5 home games (maybe even less) to guarantee our promotion.

Starting off by beating the second place team would put us in prime position to clinch this thing as quickly as possible. Would be nice to win right out the gate and not have any surprises.  Hopefully there will be some meaningless games towards the end because promotion is already assured and players riding the bench can be given a chance to show something. Again, just keep winning and good things will continue to happen.