Phantis Forums

Welcome to the Phantis PAOK Forum

Bajewy

I am baaaaack!

After some tough and lengthy negotiation process I was persuaded to come back to these old stamping grounds. B)

Glad to see some old friends as well as some of the recent acquaintances in one place. Let's get this show going.

Edited by Blackhawk
  • Like it 3

i remember seeing his name on another forum (one that shutdown recently.)  theres a ziakas right near my parents village in grevena so i always wanted to say hi to him. buuut by reading his post history it seems like i wont be able to do that 

What village are your parents from?

• Like it 1

Hello all. I only lurked on the other forum because noone would approve my registration application. Glad I can come on here and post about PAOK now.

Welcome.  Yeah, I had similar issues on the old forum (and this one).  Took a couple of attempts.  Good to have more PAOK posters on here.  :tup:

hey ziakas here how you doing?!  yeah so were neighbors(if im thinking of the right zakas.) ...my parents are from megaro.  its so close i can see your village/orliakas from there! 

Hey , we are pretty close too, my father comes from a village near Pentalofos, actually my grandmother had a really 

close friend from Megaro.     Kapetan Loukas was also from Megaro !!!

Hey , we are pretty close too, my father comes from a village near Pentalofos, actually my grandmother had a really 

close friend from Megaro.     Kapetan Loukas was also from Megaro !!!

Pentalofos?! haha ive played soccer in your village before! it was awhile go though, like 12- 13 years ago.   kapetan loukas we got a little statue of him in the platea!

blackhawk: i never made to orliakas.  always wanted to figure out what that single light on it is.  ive stared at it so long, i feel like it calls out to me like something out of Lord of the Rings.  (its probably all that Gordon's Space i drink in the village... that shits awful)   

Bajewy, the first time I visited Ziaka in 1984 bunch of us, including my parents made it to the top of Orliakas. We had one of my pappou's brothers to guide us to the top. He knew the mountain and the area like the palm of his hand from his experience fighting the Italians and Germans during WW2 and then again during the civil war. It took us about half a day to reach the top. What a great view of the whole area from the top of the mountain.

1669899_1418764095044975_2048944544_o.jp

Speaking of Orliakas, one of of our xorianos and a family member wanted to build an observatory at the top of the mountain. He is a Senior Scientist at the University of Chicago and was part of many NASA missions since the 1960's. His name is Thanasis Economou. You can read more about him here: http://news.uchicago.edu/profile/thanasis-economou and here: http://www.panhellenicscholarships.org/thanasis-economou.php

Eventually with cooperation from Greek authorities he got the go ahead to proceed with the project. He succeeded in securing funding from the European Commission for the project, but once it was evident that money would be coming in, the Greek government wanted to take over the project. Since then the project is on hold, and I doubt it will ever get build.

• Like it 3