Phantis Forums

The San Francisco 49Ers

1-3... Kaep looks lost.. The O-line isn't doing him any favours... The team's body language isn't good at all on offence. Linemen snap at Kaep.. Rumours of Bolden and Smith wanting Kaep to sit and of Bolden wanting to be traded are rife.. Tomsula isn't the man for the job. It's plain to see that he is overwhelmed...

I hope the team continues to bloody the young guys (particularly on D), while stockpiling picks by moving older vets like Bolden. Keep playing Kaep for the rest of the year and assess at the end of the year. If he can't cut it, and we finish low enough, cut him and draft a QB and O-linemen to start rebuilding the offence. Ride it out for 2-3 years and become a contender just when the Seahawks and Cards should decline (free agency will take its toll)..

• 5 months later...

Free agency has opened up and my beloved 49ers, with plenty of cap space, haven't done much to bolster a very depleted squad...

I now that championship caliber teams are not built exclusively via FA, but the team needs help right away and Baalke seems nonchalant... Either that or players want no part of an organization that gets rid of a wining coach in Jim Harbaugh only to replace him by Tomsula, and then him with the not so popular Kelly...

I get that he has plenty of picks in the draft, but the team actually regressed at the o-line position (by far last year's biggest weakness) following the loss of Boone. That leaves only Staley as a bonneffide NFLer to protect our QB. (Gabbert? Seeing as Kaepernick wants out; I hope we can squeeze a couple of picks out of Denver if they want him).

As for the draft, Baalke needs to up his game as he's been more miss than hit of late... I hope they draft Goff...