Phantis Forums

Montreal Canadiens

tampa bay? is this bettman's nhl that turned off some hockey fans?

true, it's not a traditional hockey market, but over the past few years they have averaged >95% capacity for their home games. this is more than you can say for the anaheim ducks in the same time period (2011-12 through 2013-14).

nashville also draws near-capacity crowds, apparently. i know, it doesn't make sense to me either. on the other hand, the islanders, the stars, the coyotes, and the other florida team lag well behind.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_National_Hockey_League_attendance_figures

anyway, back on topic, special teams killed you guys this postseason. you have always been a very, very good skating team (could skate circles around my bruins not too long ago, and again this year) but in the end i think this team lacked (perhaps unconsciously) the willingness to do whatever it takes to win as a part of their identity. the fight that you see from other teams having success right now (hawks, rangers, caps) and in past few years (hawks again, kings, bruins) was not there. fair play to tampa bay, they are a very good hockey club and found plenty of ways to score even without stamkos scoring every game. ben bishop rose to the occasion. it's not at all embarrassing to lose to the bolts. stevie y knows how to put together a hockey club.

Tampa Bay made a lot of adjustments from the last 2 games. They clogged up the neutral zone well not letting us carry the puck into the offensive zone, and didn't give us a inch of space causing us to constantly lose the puck when pressured. We were on our heels all game. Of course this all led to Therrien going back to his beloved dump and chase. Before we even think of changing our personnel we will first have to work on our strategy and game planning. We need to correct the way we exit and enter the zone as well our terrible power play. We play a grinding system when we have the players to play more attacking hockey.  Anyways here is what I want to see next season.

- Petry resigned 

- Markov moved to the second pair. He cannot play with PK because he cannot handle the work load. He needs his minutes managed or he will burn out come the playoffs.

- Belieau stays up full time with the big club

- Galchenyuk is the #1 C we have to find out sooner rather than later if hes the guy or not.

- Desharnais is moved

Patches - Galchenyuk - RW

LW - Plekanec - Gallagher 
Wiese - Eller - Prust

Mix and Match 

Sherbak is the future 2nd line left wing if he keeps developing, and McCarron has been great this year in Junior and should be a top 6 RW. We also have Hudon, Ghetto who could slot in to those spots. I think this year we should of played the younger players more. They said it would be a transition year and we would take a step back. We did take a step back but there was no real transition. 

We have an elite Goalie, Defenceman, and 35-40 Goal Scorer but we need a lot more. 

Edited by CPAO

• 2 weeks later...

Gonchar, Malhotra and Weaver will not be back, that already confirmed.

Deharnais should also get moved but that's my opinion. Petry must get resigned, can't believe the Oilers traded their best defencemen and didn't even get a first round pick out of it.

Beaulieu will become Markov's long term replacement after retiring and should start taking up more of his minutes next year. 

Beaulieu-Subban

Markov-Gilbert

Emelin-Petry

That's a great looking defence with Tinordi and Pateryn as reserves. 

Add more scoring punch up front and a depth defencemen then this team will contend. 

• 2 weeks later...

The Habs have locked up Jeff Pettry for 6 years for an average annual salary of $5.5 M!!! This is great news IMO as he was a rock for us in the playoffs! He would of fetched a lot more in the open market. I like this move because with Pettry in the lineup, Therrien can also reduce the aging Markov's usage.

So the Habs are set at D for the next few years with Subban, Pettry, and Beaulieu. Now Bergevin has to find a way to add scoring.

There are strong rumours that a Plekanec for Ryan O'Reily deal is in the works.. Pleks is starting to age and O'Reily is bigger and younger but doesn't skate as smoothly as the former..

Edited by Giourkas

I think either Emelin or Gilbert will be moved for help at forward. Even if we do move Plekanec for O'Reily we still do not have a #1 C. I I think he can be an upgrade though given he is younger and can become even better. I think we know what we are getting from Plekanec. 

Edited by CPAO

• 3 weeks later...

Carey Price swept the awards ceremony (Hart, Vezina, Jennings, and Lindsay) last night confirming he's the best player in the world. He could not be denied as he posted a GAA of 1.96, a save % of .933, and recorded 44 wins to break Jacques Plante's record of 42.. Yes Carey played more games but Plante unlike Price had 10 hall of famers playing in front of him! Price did all this and led the Habs to the division crown despite the fact that his group of forwards were among the least productive as a whole among the playoff teams.

Now it's up to MB to add the missing pieces to bring Lord Stanley home...

P.K. Subban finished 3rd in voting for the Norris. (Would of been his 2nd). I think P.K. and Doughty deserved it more than Karlsson but I suppose Ottawa's late season surge played an important factor.. I don't think Karlsson is very good defensively.. Whereas the other 2 are more complete/better rounded off players.. Ah well!

Edited by Giourkas

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Good start off to 3-0. 

Galchenyk will have his break out year. Beaulieu needs to have a break out year and establish himself as Markov's repalcement. Joulsen basically replaces Ryan McDonough who was given away for a pylon. 

Montreal will content for first in the east with the Rangers and Litghning. 

• 3 weeks later...

One thing that I can't get over, the bell center is nothing compared to the ACC, what a dump of a stadium, but the great hockey atmosphere in Montreal kinda makes up for it, and the bar experience after the game, always enjoy going to Montreal to watch a game....Can't wait to go back and watch some playoff hockey in April.

You know Molson just committed $100 million over three years to renovate the place. It's been 20 years now since the place opened and due for an upgrade. 

Although the team keeps on winning, Brian Flynn is not the answer on the second line with Galchenyuk and Eller. Therrien finally smartened up last game vs. Winnipeg and moved Smith-Pelly onto that line in place of Flynn. 

Long term they need a legit second line right winger to play with those two for Galchenyuk to become a point per game player. Eller plays left wing as an insurance policy in case Galchenyuk can't win a face off to save his life so he can stay but the right wing is an obvious need. 

Just need a good right wigner and depth defencemen and this team will contend this year. If Colorado misses the playoffs and Iginla becomes available................you never know. 

Edited by Korisos