Phantis Forums

Suggested Call Ups, Starting 11

12 hours ago, Dean97 said:

I hope so. Fortounis and Pelkas are captains for their teams. This is good news for the future team of the Ethniki. If you think about it some of our young players are captains Eg. Androutsos u21, Siopis, Kourbelis, Stafylidis can become captain, Galanopoulos can become captain, Papadopoulos, Mantalos and Manolas can be captain. 

Players like Tziolis, Tzavellas, Maniatis and Torosidis should be out after the world cup. Players like Galanopoulos and Pelkas in. Players like Diamantakos, Vellios and Bakasetas should not be in the team so often. 

torosidis won't be out. he's still a valuable option. after all he scored 3 times in this campaign..

also pelkas won't be starting in this team as far as there's fortounis around.

btw im reading atm that skibbe is planning NOT TO call up karelis for the croatia games :) im looking forward to see who's going to play on the wings or even as a back up striker because donis and mantalos are already out. he's such a moron if he leaves him out of the squad and calls up diamantakos and vellios instead. at least one of them. same goes for vlachodimos, we simply CAN NOT afford losing him to germany. FFS IT WOULD BE A BIG DEAL CALLING HIM UP IN A GAME AGAINST GIBRALTAR WHICH WAS A GREAT CHANCE FOR HIM TO DEBUT? HE WOULD BE A LOCK BY NOW....

As I said before I like the fact that Skibbe has gotten us to this point to at least have a shot at making the World Cup but his selection do nothing for the team going forward and introducing new guys to the team. I just dont have any confidence in this guys selections whatsoever. If he doesn't pick Karelis then he is an idiot... And there is no doubt in my mind the he will start Tziolis... 

Edited by J1078

Personally I like Skibbe and for the job he has done taking this team to a playoff in a difficult group to get to the WorldCup, especially considering where we were a few years back. I just hope Donis can somehow recover and play if not he absolutely needs to call up Karelis to give us an offensive option. Vellios has no business getting a call up. We shall see.

Karelis just got back to the pitch after a long lay off, you can't rely on him to be selected for such a crucial game. He wasn't exactly lighting it up for the NT when he was playing anyway.  Not saying he is not good, just selecting him now is risky...

13 minutes ago, Brklyngrk said:

Karelis just got back to the pitch after a long lay off, you can't rely on him to be selected for such a crucial game. He wasn't exactly lighting it up for the NT when he was playing anyway.  Not saying he is not good, just selecting him now is risky...

one legged karelis still more useful than the likes of diamantakos and vellios to say at least. plus, he'll play more minutes this weekend with his team. 

@J1078 totally true. vlachodimos should be a regular in this squad and not behind the likes of anestis and kiriakidis ffs..same goes for lazaros and siovas, how sane can be someone who selects gianniotas and mpakasetas over lazaros and koutroubis over siovas...and don't forget what made cholevas to step down, yes, the decision to start a turkish league player over a premier league regular..

if he plays tziolis over 3 out of kourmpelis, samaris, tachtsidis and zeca in this retarde 4-2-3-1 formation that kills the momentum and the flow of our game, then he will have commited a suicide

4 hours ago, J1078 said:

As I said before I like the fact that Skibbe has gotten us to this point to at least have a shot at making the World Cup but his selection do nothing for the team going forward and introducing new guys to the team. I just dont have any confidence in this guys selections whatsoever. If he doesn't pick Karelis then he is an idiot... And there is no doubt in my mind the he will start Tziolis... 

Retsos (19)
Stafylidis (23)

Diamantakos(24)
Lykogiannis(24) - shiet i thought he was 22 or something. looks like he aint gonna be anything too good as some are hoping.

Siopis (23)
Kourbelis (23)

Kapino(23)

Donis (21)

Gianniotas (23)

Bakasetas (24)

He has added fresh blood. It's just that they renot good yet.

Our defence is settled for the near future.

Our offence is settled with Fortounis Donis and Mitroglou for the near future as well.

Hoping for Kourbelis and Siopis to step it up. 

It's not skibbe's fault the rest youngsters are not to be looked upon.

3 minutes ago, Boxou said:

one legged karelis still more useful than the likes of diamantakos and vellios to say at least. plus, he'll play more minutes this weekend with his team. 

@J1078 totally true. vlachodimos should be a regular in this squad and not behind the likes of anestis and kiriakidis ffs..same goes for lazaros and siovas, how sane can be someone who selects gianniotas and mpakasetas over lazaros and koutroubis over siovas...and don't forget what made cholevas to step down, yes, the decision to start a turkish league player over a premier league regular..

if he plays tziolis over 3 out of kourmpelis, samaris, tachtsidis and zeca in this retarde 4-2-3-1 formation that kills the momentum and the flow of our game, then he will have commited a suicide

Last time Lazaros scored was the 2 goals vs Olympiakos.

That was in the 20s of september.

We have November currently.

You re comparint 2 turds for which one is the biggest one. No point in that. They re all average at best.

lazaros has scored like 10 goals this season, and most importantly he's been playing consistently for aek..unlike his counterpans gianniotas who's warming the bench on spain's b division and mpakasetas who is not even a winger!!

and you're wrong, lazaros scored a goal in aek's cup game last week. 

• Like it 1

4 hours ago, Boxou said:

lazaros has scored like 10 goals this season, and most importantly he's been playing consistently for aek..unlike his counterpans gianniotas who's warming the bench on spain's b division and mpakasetas who is not even a winger!!

and you're wrong, lazaros scored a goal in aek's cup game last week. 

3 goals in the league 0 assists

1 goal in europa 0 assists

and a couple of goals against a team that just got promoted to B Ethniki.

What a gamechanger. wow.

My point is. none of the ones you mention is anything better than the others. Fetfatzidis? Gianniotas? Lazaros? Nothing serious. Bakasetas and Diamantakos ? Useless in the wings.

The only best option Id like Skibbe to select is Dimitrios Pelkas. But saddly I doubt that s happening.

Karelis just came back from a big injury how do we expect him to do the job in such crucial games coming up. Theres not time to experiment with Vlachodimos. Skibbe is a fool he should have capped him against Gibraltar that's if he has Greek citizenship. Diamantakos and Vellios will provide nothing because Mitroglou will play the full 90. Better to call up Pelkas or Masouras. 

I only see these players worthy of call ups right now. They re hopefully no more than 30 coz i havent counted.

Goalkeepers:
Karnezis (starter)
Kapino
Gianniotis (best form right now)

&Anestis

Defenders:
CB:

Sokratis , Manolas , Papadopoulos (starter material)

Retsos , Siovas 
Promising:Risvanis,Chatziisaias, Kolovetsios

Fullbacks:
Stafylidis,Torosidis, Tzavellas, (starter material)

Bakakis, Lykogiannis

Promising:Koutris, Tsimikas

Midfielders:
Samaris , Zeka , Tachtsidis ,Siopis (starter material)

Tziolis , Kourbelis , Maniatis 

Promising:Galanopoulos I literally searched in every team we don't have anyone upcomming in holding mid position this sux

Attacking Midfielders/Wingers:
Fortounis/Mantalos/Lazaros/Pelkas (starter material)
Gianniotas /Fetfatzidis(highly debateable on Fetfa)
Promising : Manthatis/Androutsos/Limnios/Lamprou

Forwards:
Mitroglou,Donis (starter material)

Karelis, Karamanos

Promising : Giakoumakis, Douvikas

I do not believe anyone else currently deserves a call-up. I see no reason why.

People will probably have some questions for a few players:

Tziolis: I want his experience with the squad. It does not meant he needs to start but we can use him after 80+ if we wanna keep a result and need an extra person to freeze the match rhythm. If he doesn't try to do the unexpected his short passes are most o the times accurate.
Karamanos: Plays in a decent championship. First League. Not much playtime but since Vellios and Diamantakos have had negative impact on the NT why not try some new faces.

Lykogiannis: Pacey dude who has killer shot wide. Really nothing serious but nothing not interesting either.

By the way im not implying I want the Promising players to be called right now. But I think they might play some role in our future campaigns.

EDIT: They are actually 31 (promising not included). Well I still think I did a better job than Skibbe tho.

Edited by Rockafeller Skank

2 hours ago, Rockafeller Skank said:

I only see these players worthy of call ups right now. They re hopefully no more than 30 coz i havent counted.

Goalkeepers:
Karnezis (starter)
Kapino
Gianniotis (best form right now)

&Anestis

Defenders:
CB:

Sokratis , Manolas , Papadopoulos (starter material)

Retsos , Siovas 
Promising:Risvanis,Chatziisaias, Kolovetsios

Fullbacks:
Stafylidis,Torosidis, Tzavellas, (starter material)

Bakakis, Lykogiannis

Promising:Koutris, Tsimikas

Midfielders:
Samaris , Zeka , Tachtsidis ,Siopis (starter material)

Tziolis , Kourbelis , Maniatis 

Promising:Galanopoulos I literally searched in every team we don't have anyone upcomming in holding mid position this sux

Attacking Midfielders/Wingers:
Fortounis/Mantalos/Lazaros/Pelkas (starter material)
Gianniotas /Fetfatzidis(highly debateable on Fetfa)
Promising : Manthatis/Androutsos/Limnios/Lamprou

Forwards:
Mitroglou,Donis (starter material)

Karelis, Karamanos

Promising : Giakoumakis, Douvikas

I do not believe anyone else currently deserves a call-up. I see no reason why.

People will probably have some questions for a few players:

Tziolis: I want his experience with the squad. It does not meant he needs to start but we can use him after 80+ if we wanna keep a result and need an extra person to freeze the match rhythm. If he doesn't try to do the unexpected his short passes are most o the times accurate.
Karamanos: Plays in a decent championship. First League. Not much playtime but since Vellios and Diamantakos have had negative impact on the NT why not try some new faces.

Lykogiannis: Pacey dude who has killer shot wide. Really nothing serious but nothing not interesting either.

By the way im not implying I want the Promising players to be called right now. But I think they might play some role in our future campaigns.

EDIT: They are actually 31 (promising not included). Well I still think I did a better job than Skibbe tho.

let me add some more;

vlachodimos(gk, benfica, on loan to pao). he wants to play for greece but skibbe doesn't give a fcvk. if he gets his chance in benfica next year i see no reason why germany wouldn't be after him while we'd be losing another goalkeeper after lodygin. 

lamprou(gk, ajax). doesn't play for them but being in ajax means something. i see no reason why he shouldn't be considered as a 3rd option at least

katranis(lb, saint ettiene). he has no playing time so far but he signed a 5 year contract with them on summer so i believe he'll get his chances. for now he's a prospect

oikonomou(cb, spal). im sure you're aware of him but probably forgot him

chatzidiakos(cb, alkmaar) he has been starting for alkmaar lately and he's only 20. 

baxevanos(cb, lazio) he's playing for their youth team although he signed a 5 year contract with them in march so he will be promoted to their a team sooner than later. he also scores a lot for a cb (scored against juve and napoli)

mavropanos(cb, pas giannena) olympiakos, aek and paok are all after him as well as malaga coz of their technical director spell in olympiakos. they have travelled to watch him a couple of times along with an italian team.

charisis(cdm, sint truiden) he has been great for them, playing in belgium on loan from paok. they're sitting 3rd on the table and he's been a starting material since the start of the season

kampetsis(dortmund) has scored 4 goals with their second team this season, while being there with an 1-year contract. would be interesting to see whether they'll renew him or not. 

Edited by Boxou

I am aware of all of the ones you mentioned.

None of them is worthy of a call up. Charisis possibly will be called up in the near future.

Lamprou plays with u-21. Playing at ajax currently means nothing.

Chatzidiakos mediocre team in Eredivisie? Panathinaikos' Ajagun was considered decent for a team in Holland. It is a done league. 

Youth teams players tell me nothing. Just coz this Kampetsis dude and baxevanos play there.

There have been numerous Greeks who actually began their career at Barcelona La Masia and by their mid 20s they were playing for Asteras or Panetolikos. I was reading a list with all the players who graduated from La Masia and two of them were playing for bottomtable teams here in Greece. Can;t find it though. 

Charisis is the only one from your list I would call promising. The others have nothing to give.

Well said Skank, this is a national team and not a talent developing center. They should play for their respective clubs regularly before they get call ups.

Five years ago, Triantafyllopoulos, Iliadis, Katidis, Vellios, Diamantakos etc. were the promising players, like Limnios, Lamprou, Koulouris are now. Everybody can see where the aforementioned play now. Ages ago these talented kids were called Masmanidis (does anyone remember him? he was a youth team player in Germany), Koutsianikoulis, Fetfatzidis, Lampropoulos etc. So-called talented footballers often do not have a great career in Greece. Retsos plays at 19 for a Bundesliga team, everywhere in the world you can see youngsters are starters for famous clubs, he is the only real Greek talent now. There may be late bloomers (Holebas was one, and arguably Karnezis too), but these guys who are skilled and "look promising" while being on loan at 23 are probably new versions of Mavrias, Athanasiadis & co., what would mean they will never be useful at international level.

• Like it 2

I am pretty sure people still call Bouchalakis Promising at 24. Possibly even Karelis. Injuries fault or not Karelis has reached the age of 25 which is probably an age at which a pacey player like him peaks as pace deteriorates year by year. I do not rate Karelis much. He is probably just an Athanasiadis tier with a better shot. Good pace for a striker, not a manlet and a killer strike if on form. But honestly, he and Donis are the only ones we have to succeed Mitroglou.

I hope Androutsos and Manthatis attract serious interest from a team now that they re 20. Otherwise I do not think we are gonna see them go their way.

Limnios getting playtime when Paok has the likes of Vierinha , Mak , Djalma and Pelkas I would say is on the right way.

17 hours ago, Argy said:

If Retsos is good enough to start in Bundesliga for Bayer Leverkusen then he is surely NT starter material, just not ahead of the top 3. 

Starter material is based on who is the best in the team. Since we have 3 players already for 2 CB spots, I can't put him in starter material , he is not mature enough to be ahead of Kyriakos and sure not at the level of Sokratis and Manolas.

alkmaar is not a mediocre team in eredivisise tbh. dutch academies are great and he's a product of them since he moved there from pao in a young age. 

also the rest of the youngers i call promising is because they play in top tier academies like dortmund and lazio(italian youth league is considered as the best in the world. 

On 11/6/2017 at 8:37 AM, Rockafeller Skank said:

I am pretty sure people still call Bouchalakis Promising at 24. Possibly even Karelis. Injuries fault or not Karelis has reached the age of 25 which is probably an age at which a pacey player like him peaks as pace deteriorates year by year. I do not rate Karelis much. He is probably just an Athanasiadis tier with a better shot. Good pace for a striker, not a manlet and a killer strike if on form. But honestly, he and Donis are the only ones we have to succeed Mitroglou.

I hope Androutsos and Manthatis attract serious interest from a team now that they re 20. Otherwise I do not think we are gonna see them go their way.

Limnios getting playtime when Paok has the likes of Vierinha , Mak , Djalma and Pelkas I would say is on the right way.

Karelis is far more than just his pace. That's not even his main selling points. IMO it's his positioning and shooting. Klaus should have been in the NT when he was actually in peak form though. But we also had Samaras and Gekas at the time so not a huge loss.

On 6/11/2017 at 3:43 PM, Boxou said:

alkmaar is not a mediocre team in eredivisise tbh. dutch academies are great and he's a product of them since he moved there from pao in a young age. 

also the rest of the youngers i call promising is because they play in top tier academies like dortmund and lazio(italian youth league is considered as the best in the world. 

Do you remember Angelos Ikonomou who was at the 2nd team of Bayern, training alongsidetheir first team and playing in a few cup matches??

When Bayern left him, you would be surprised where he ended up. I ll let you google that to let you have some suspence.

Said 3 times already, and not negotiateable: Which academy you come from means bull$hit to me.  If you don't prove yourself at top level you are nowhere near "good".

On 11/7/2017 at 1:15 PM, georgelaz said:

Karelis is far more than just his pace. That's not even his main selling points. IMO it's his positioning and shooting. Klaus should have been in the NT when he was actually in peak form though. But we also had Samaras and Gekas at the time so not a huge loss.

Correct; While he is not exceptional at any aspects of his game, it is the combination of strength, shooting and pace (at a lesser degree) that makes him good. No other Greek player has that combination (Mirtoglou lacks speed, Giannotas power & shooting; Donis while better overall lucks in power & shooting). He has the ability and has scored some amazing goals from time to time. He is not better than Mitroglou or Donis, but IMO, he is close behind.

Plus, he is the only greek player that I have seen, that improved his game from age 20 to 22. Kudos to his work.

• Like it 1

Our midfield is atrotious and it is time to broaden our view and open our mind to what else we had out there. You cannot tell me that Fetfatzidis would be have been more useless than Fortounis or have been a worse sub than Bakasetas. We are so lacking on attacking midfield and on the wings how can we systematically ignore players that can offer some skill and creativity?

• Like it 1

Don't understand Skibbe.  Then again maybe I'm wrong but I don't understand the concept of selecting players that aren't playing regularly.  The only guy that probably gets a pass is Mitroglou since the other strikers behind him are just pathetic.

Karnezis : Failed to control a back pass like he's a junior.  But it is his fault ?  He hasn't played a competitive match since joining Watford.  He went from playing 90 minutes every week in the Serie A to just training.  And we wonder why he failed to control a basic pass.  His pay packet is rocking it though.

Retsos : Should have played at RB.

Maniatis : Can't play at this level anymore.

Stafylidis : Has played 10 minutes of competitive football with Augsburg.  Love the kid.  I think he's a gun.  Should've been told to find a team and get regular playing time.  Then we wonder why he tries to do a back pass to Karnezis with his stomach.

Tzavellas : Can't play at this level anymore.

Tziolis : Can't play at this level anymore.  Hasn't been at the level required for years.

Samaris : Should not be starting in this game.  Estonia level at best.  Hasn't played good football in over 12 months.

No idea why Kourbelis isn't getting a look in.  I would've started him alongside Zeca and K. Paps in the middle.  Instruct all 3 I want god dam f**king bone crunching tackles or I'll sub them off.  Tachs to come in the second half when the tempo settles.

Up front, throw on Lazaros and play with Fortounis and Mitroglou.  What more does this guy have to do to get a run.  At least he can run with the ball and possibly create something.

No idea why half of the squad are even in there.  Diamantakos, Bakasetas, Lykogiannis.  Where is Siovas ?  The guy should be in the squad at the very least.

The squad needs a clean out.

I want Ouzounidis to be the next NT manager.

Edited by Bananas
  • Like it 1

One problem I see for people that express an opinion on players is that they don't see them play every day, day in and  day out. People follow their favorite team, but other than that they see other players 3-4 times a year.

As a PAO fun, I have complete kwoledge of Kourbelis (+)  and Koutroubis (-). However, how much my opinion on Pelkas or Bakakis is really factuall. As most people I can see that Pelkas has skills (ξερει μπάλα); however, is he consistent, can he mark, can he run the whole game,  does he makes stupid decisions. Honestly I don't know.

However. I know that Kourbelis is better than Tsiolis and Samaris, especially Samaris plays now for the NT.

• Dutch Eagle pinned, unpinned and pinned this topic