Jump to content
Phantis Forums
Original 21

Suggested Call Ups, Starting 11

Recommended Posts

Personally, I like both Manolas and Sokratis, though they both displayed a crappy attitude with Anastasiades. The problem is that we can't build any play up the middle due to the fact that our DMs are hardworking, ditch digging types who have very little ability in terms of building up the game, so JVS put Hatzidiakos and Staf (who are pretty good at moving the ball) in the back and that proved to make a huge difference. Sok and Man don't provide that aspect of the game and if you have players like Zeca, Kourbelis, Galanopoulos etc. as a shield in front of the CBs the defensive capabilities of Sok and Man are not as valuable as being able to move the ball and transition the play.

  • Like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, AchillesHeel said:

Personally, I like both Manolas and Sokratis, though they both displayed a crappy attitude with Anastasiades. The problem is that we can't build any play up the middle due to the fact that our DMs are hardworking, ditch digging types who have very little ability in terms of building up the game, so JVS put Hatzidiakos and Staf (who are pretty good at moving the ball) in the back and that proved to make a huge difference. Sok and Man don't provide that aspect of the game and if you have players like Zeca, Kourbelis, Galanopoulos etc. as a shield in front of the CBs the defensive capabilities of Sok and Man are not as valuable as being able to move the ball and transition the play.

This is spot on. This is why I have praised Hatzidiakos. He’s able to build play from the back. Stafylidis is good at this aswell. Manolas and Sokratis seemed inadequate in this aspect of the game. Defensively they are untouchable. But as time goes on it makes more sense playing Manolas next to Hatzidiakos in the future. There are a lot of question marks regarding Manolas and Sokratis attitude towards the national team. 
 

I was hoping back then that Tachtsidis would be the type of DM who can build play from the middle but he is way too inconsistent and very limited in most aspects his game. Anyways I believe JVS knows what he has to do as he has plans in place.

Edited by Dean97

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@AchillesHeel

What do you think the reason is for JVS having played Bakasetas at CAM and Mantalos on the left? Even though Bakasetas has done slightly better under JVS I still think Mantalos or even Fetfa should’ve been the 10. I personally would’ve played Mantalos at CAM and someone else on the left. Maybe Fetfa or Masouras. 
 

From what I saw in the last 4 games Bakasetas is strong physically and doesn’t get pushed off the ball easily unlike Fortounis. Bakasetas has a great shot and is capable of playing a simple game. He also works hard off the ball.
 

The things that I don’t like about him is that he loses the ball most of the time either misplacing a pass or losing the ball when it’s at his feet. He is also a slow player physically and also mentally. I find it a bit hard to justify the reason for him being in the 10 spot for the last 4 games even though we’ve been playing better. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tactically I think Schippy wanted some brawns and grit in the 10 spot and Bakasetas delivered. I think Bakasetas works his a$$ off in practice, has a positive attitude and gains the trust of the coaches in that way (they can't all be crazy or paid off)....probably Staf as well...I can't see any other reason and it would have been easy to drop both these players a while back when things looked grim, right now both have played an important part in the turn around of the NT. A successful team is greater than the sum of all its parts....if you win with Bakasetas as a 10 or a 9 and Staf as CB, you would be inclined to continue using them at these positions if they are effective although I think JVS has an evolving attitude towards the players. A win justifies the decisions a coach makes and a loss brings criticism....it's as simple as that. Also Bakasetas has had a very good year in Turkey and has been playing very well lately regardless of his shortcomings. I think the Schipster is trying to balance things out so the team can function as an ensemble and not as a group of individuals who are chosen only on the basis of their talent/skill.

  • Like it 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with that except for Stafylidis at CB, against a decent opponent or in a game we are under the pump, it’s suicidal and we have better options

  • Like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AchillesHeel said:

Tactically I think Schippy wanted some brawns and grit in the 10 spot and Bakasetas delivered. I think Bakasetas works his a$$ off in practice, has a positive attitude and gains the trust of the coaches in that way (they can't all be crazy or paid off)....probably Staf as well...I can't see any other reason and it would have been easy to drop both these players a while back when things looked grim, right now both have played an important part in the turn around of the NT. A successful team is greater than the sum of all its parts....if you win with Bakasetas as a 10 or a 9 and Staf as CB, you would be inclined to continue using them at these positions if they are effective although I think JVS has an evolving attitude towards the players. A win justifies the decisions a coach makes and a loss brings criticism....it's as simple as that. Also Bakasetas has had a very good year in Turkey and has been playing very well lately regardless of his shortcomings. I think the Schipster is trying to balance things out so the team can function as an ensemble and not as a group of individuals who are chosen only on the basis of their talent/skill.

Thanks for your reply. It makes sense the way you put it. I trust JVS. I think he sees the bigger picture and knows what he has to do. We have seen a massive improvement with the teams performances and that’s without our “big stars”, which says a lot. I’m very eager to see what he has planned later this month. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

As for the CB's I spruked from 2020, Manolas and Sok to be again considered, although, I also mentioned I wouldn't pick them. maybe Manolas. It depends on the results of the next couple of matches in the near future. one or both could get a call up. These guys know they cannot get away with crap or JVS will get the rod out.

Edited by ausgreek

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Alphonse said:

I agree with that except for Stafylidis at CB, against a decent opponent or in a game we are under the pump, it’s suicidal and we have better options

For sure if you were up against a France or Belgium where you know you will spend a large part of the game defending you would opt for a defensive minded CB....that's what I meant about evolving attitude towards the players. And in general Staf as CB doesn't look like a long term option especially since he's riding the pine at his club...but in the recent games at CB he actually did well considering. Sokrates at RB and Staf at CB....maybe Siovas at CDM or maybe 4 LBs across the backline (I'm kidding of course)....whatever as long as the results keep coming and the team keeps up the positive play       :play-448698:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let’s not move backwards we just starting to see results and the type of team that has some creativity and balance. Manolas and Socratis don’t offer any pace moving the ball forwards the way JVS wants to play.. it would be great if they were the type of players that can be called up and support the team whether they play or not but they will cause a stink and I would not take the chance to disrupt what the coach has tried to build so far.  In a perfect world they are called up and only play when the teams needs to shut it down to secure points.  Let’s see if JVS is willing to give them a chance during these March friendless to see if they can fit in with his style of play. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Hey guys I just been wondering for a while and would like to know where everyone stands on this topic...

What do you guys think of Stafylidis as captain? 

Should he be captain going forward? 

Where do we put him if Sokratis and Manolas do return?

Should he change position? Maybe LW or even CDM/CM?


I know some like him here and some don’t but I’m just going to say that I do think he has a place in the squad. I don’t think he should be at LB because we have a lot of good talent there such as Tsimikas and Giannoulis. Even Kyriakopoulos is up there. He’s also made mistakes there. 

I wouldn’t put him at RB. Wouldn’t seem right to put him there since he is left footed.

I also wouldn’t put him on the wings. In my opinion I think he can be a great CDM or CM. Maybe he should come off the bench and provide some of his great long shots as that is his best attribute in my opinion. He isn’t a bad passer either. He has great energy, determination and seems to really care about Greece. I don’t think he can be overlooked. 

At the same time I’m 50/50 on whether he is starter or a bench player. I do see some good qualities. I think we should put him somewhere where we could best utilise his strengths. 

What are everyone else’s thoughts and suggestions? 

Edited by Dean97

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is a recent interview with the coach.. I figured I would share just to give us something to discuss during this madness going on in the world.. I’ve really become a fan of this coach. I was on the fence when they hired him but it looks like they made a good choice..

 

https://www.agonasport.com/agonasport-allnews/van-t-schip-our-goal-is-to-qualify-for-the-next-major-tournament

  • Like it 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/19/2020 at 8:48 PM, Dean97 said:

Hey guys I just been wondering for a while and would like to know where everyone stands on this topic...

What do you guys think of Stafylidis as captain? 

Should he be captain going forward? 

Where do we put him if Sokratis and Manolas do return?

Should he change position? Maybe LW or even CDM/CM?


I know some like him here and some don’t but I’m just going to say that I do think he has a place in the squad. I don’t think he should be at LB because we have a lot of good talent there such as Tsimikas and Giannoulis. Even Kyriakopoulos is up there. He’s also made mistakes there. 

I wouldn’t put him at RB. Wouldn’t seem right to put him there since he is left footed.

I also wouldn’t put him on the wings. In my opinion I think he can be a great CDM or CM. Maybe he should come off the bench and provide some of his great long shots as that is his best attribute in my opinion. He isn’t a bad passer either. He has great energy, determination and seems to really care about Greece. I don’t think he can be overlooked. 

At the same time I’m 50/50 on whether he is starter or a bench player. I do see some good qualities. I think we should put him somewhere where we could best utilise his strengths. 

What are everyone else’s thoughts and suggestions? 

I like Stafy but I think he’s a bench player not a starter. A captain of the team needs to be a regular starter and role player IMO.. Right now I don’t know who that is as we have a lot of new faces and young guys on the team. Maybe Fortounis but he looks disinterested sometimes and other times he looks brilliant but not sure if he has the character needed to be captain..

I’m probably on my own in saying this but I don’t think I want to see Socratis back on the team. Manolas maybe I give a chance to see if he fits in nicely.. but as I said before with these two guys it’s all or nothing for them. So they won’t be okay with being benched..

 


 

 

 


 

 

  • Like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah I wouldn’t bring Sokratis back. I believe Hatzidiakos should take his place. Hatzidiakos could be our future captain. I would bring back Manolas though. The reason being is that Retsos and Mavropanos haven’t done enough to warrant a starting spot. Also Stafylidis isn’t made for CB.

Also we have too many talented LBs and Stafylidis isn’t one of them. Maybe he should be a bench player. Fortounis to me is lazy. He needs to do more and that’s the one thing that’s holding him back. Podence has said on Instagram. Talented player but is lazy. We don’t need that in this new Greece squad. I’d only be willing to have Fortounis back if he works harder. 
 

 

  • Like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Only problem is we are talking about finishing a player from the NT in the age of 32 and replacing with someone, who definitely is talented as looks to have a bright career but at the moment cant be considered as a proven international player and if I recall correctly he is seriously injured?

I do agree about Stafylidis' level being dropped down, although I can see him going back to PAOK since they are looking to sell Giannoulis and Stafylidis would be a perfect replacement. Kyriakopoulos of Sassuolo had had a great season with them, so did Tsimikas. Lykogiannis lost his place in Calgiari while Koutris at Mallorca got seriously injured and will be back from loan to Olympiakos in a few months. Has to work hard to earn a spot there. The one who I'm not sold yet is Giannoulis imo, he is literally worse than Kyriakopoulos and Tsimikas in every aspect but he keeps starting over them?

Btw a player who needs to be in the next call ups should be Fountas of Rapid Wien, he has scored 14 goals in the Austrian League this season and definitely needs to be higher in the rotation than freaking Chatzigiovannis, Pelkas and so on...

  • Like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sold on Giannoulis? Come on, he had a ripper season and did well at both PAOK and NT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Boxou said:

Btw a player who needs to be in the next call ups should be Fountas of Rapid Wien, he has scored 14 goals in the Austrian League this season and definitely needs to be higher in the rotation than freaking Chatzigiovannis, Pelkas and so on..

Yup Fountas had 15 goals in 21 appearances...pretty amazing numbers by any standard.
Myself I consider Giannoulis, Tsimikas and Koutris all on the same level with little difference to complain about selection....let the Schipmeister decide.

 

  • Like it 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/29/2020 at 5:46 AM, Boxou said:

Only problem is we are talking about finishing a player from the NT in the age of 32 and replacing with someone, who definitely is talented as looks to have a bright career but at the moment cant be considered as a proven international player and if I recall correctly he is seriously injured?

I do agree about Stafylidis' level being dropped down, although I can see him going back to PAOK since they are looking to sell Giannoulis and Stafylidis would be a perfect replacement. Kyriakopoulos of Sassuolo had had a great season with them, so did Tsimikas. Lykogiannis lost his place in Calgiari while Koutris at Mallorca got seriously injured and will be back from loan to Olympiakos in a few months. Has to work hard to earn a spot there. The one who I'm not sold yet is Giannoulis imo, he is literally worse than Kyriakopoulos and Tsimikas in every aspect but he keeps starting over them?

Btw a player who needs to be in the next call ups should be Fountas of Rapid Wien, he has scored 14 goals in the Austrian League this season and definitely needs to be higher in the rotation than freaking Chatzigiovannis, Pelkas and so on...

For the 1st paragraph, if your talking about Hatzidiakos then for me he has proven he’s got what it takes. The goals we copped were mostly from Stafylidis errors in my opinion. The goals Italy scored was from Bouchalakis hand ball and a shot from range which should’ve been closed down from our midfielders.

Giannoulis has convinced me that he is good. Before I didn’t think he was good but after seeing him play I can say he has got a big future ahead of him. We are lucky to have a good amount of depth at LB. RB is the problem. 
 

Ive always likes Fountas has got energy and is capable of scoring goals. Also he has a lot of courage. He can play many positions like CAM, Wing and ST. He is also very fast which is another positive. 

  • Like it 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fountas scored again for Rapid Wien in a 3-1 over Lask today. Hopefully JVS includes him in the NT squad for the upcoming Nations league.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't see anyway Fountas is not included in the line up.  

  • Like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has the NT still not decided on where they are going to play there home games yet? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, J1078 said:

Has the NT still not decided on where they are going to play there home games yet? 

Haven’t read or seen any news about it.. Hopefully they decide with something soon and hopefully it’s something other than the OAKA.

  • Like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just reading a Dutch football magazine and Van 't Schip was attending Fortuna Sittard's friendly against second tier FC Dordrecht last saturday to see how Lazaros Rota is doing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are so poor in right back position, Bakakis isn't even half decent for modern football to begin with. Federation should fcking move their ass and give the passport to John Baldock who's playing for Sheffield United in the Premier League and teamed up with Retsos last season. He has Greek background and has officially stated he'd accept a call up in the future, but I guess we are thrilled with what Bakakis is offering in the offensive end..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the other hand I think we have quite some depth in the rest of defensive positions, with Siovas, Mavropanos, Chatzidiakos, Retsos and Sokratis with Manolas in the CB position, as well as in the LB position with Kyriakopoulos and Lykogiannis who are having good seasons in Serie along with Tsimikas and Giannoulis who are supposed to be moving overseas sooner than later. Convincing GK with Vlachodimos and Barkas being the 2 main competitors

However we are rather mediocre in the midfield, I don't think anyone of Kourmpelis or Galanopoulos is enough to make it to the next level, Samaris has lost his form while Zeca is aging and Tachtsidis might be playing in Serie A but is rather slow. Siopis I dont like, hopefully Vasileiadis proves to be a key addition to the team.

Offensively we are better than the recent past, Fountas, Mpakasetas and Pavlidis had great seasons with their teams and are supposed to earn their transfer real soon, while there's always the quality of Fortounis. Mitroglou had a bad season and I think is not on coach's plans, while Donis has lost his form and Koulouris had a bad second half in the season. Chatzigovannis doesnt cut imo, Mantalos is ok but not for a starter while Limnios needs to work on his dribbling skills.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with most of the things you say. I don’t think Manolas and Sokratis will be back anytime soon. So they are out. I’ve read in the past that Van’t Schip wants a left footed CB. That’s why we’ve seen Siovas and Stafylidis play there. Stafylidis doesn’t cut it as a CB so he shouldn’t play there. Siovas will most likely get the spot. 

He was also thinking of playing Kyriakopoulos in the friendlies as a LCB. I think he would be better than Stafylidis there. Time will tell.

For RB, I would try different options like Marinakis, Masouras and Lyratzis (who plays for Volos and seems like he’s got something.) We can all agree Bakakis doesn’t cut it for us at RB. Maybe Retsos should play there also. At LB were are fine and well assured with Giannoulis and Tsimikas. 

For the midfield, I think we have to just accept who we’ve got. Kourbelis is a decent number 6 who can shield the defence better than most of the midfielders we have and has lots of energy and some speed to him. I think he is the workhorse of our midfield. In recent Superleague games he scored and provided a couple of assists. He isn’t the best in attack but seems like he is getting better. We need someone (a box to box CM) next to him that can move the ball forward well and attack. Maybe we should put Mantalos deeper in CM to help with this. Someone more dynamic. I would like to see how Vasiliadis does. I also like Siopis, I don’t think we should give up on him. 

Im also not sure how Chatzigiovannis will be for Greece. He looks good in the league but I’m not sure if he is truly cut out for the big stage. Time will tell with him. The only thing that can convince people about him is if he lifts those numbers up in assists and goals. I rate Lazaros Lamprou more. Limnios is good, proven it with PAOK and Greece. He’s still young but has been consistently playing with PAOK for the past 2 seasons. He is still developing and is propably one of our best wingers. Which then leads me to Fetfatzidis. You can’t count this guy out. He’s had a great season for Aris and was voted fans MVP of the season. Has been consistent in his performances this season and is definitely a great impact sub to have. That’s if Van’t Schip doesn’t put him in the starting lineup.

Upfront, Fountas had the best season of his life. Scoring 20 goals and 8 assists or something. Definitely needs to be given a shot. Pavlidis has some competition now. I still believe Donis is important for Greece. Bakasetas has transformed himself this season and seems like a different player. Let’s hope he keeps getting better and better. We also have Fortounis and Pelkas (if he ever decides to pull up his sleeves and get to work.)

Also at keeper Vlachodimos and Barkas are the ones that standout, but Dioudis, Paschalakis and Mandas can force their way in if they continue their good form. 

Edited by Dean97

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...