Jump to content
Phantis Forums
Original 21

Suggested Call Ups, Starting 11

Recommended Posts

18 hours ago, Dean97 said:

Do you mean Mantalos should play as a 6 or 10? In any case this is my prediction for the upcoming games:

Vlachodimos , Paschalakis, Barkas, Natsos, Bakakis, Manolas, Trianta, Sokratis, Siovas, Hatzidiakos, Tsimikas, Giannoulis, Zeca, Kourbelis, Bouchalakis, Samaris??, Mantalos, Vrousai, Fetfatzidis, Masouras, Pelkas??, Vellios, Pavlidis, Koulouris, Donis.

Thats 25 players. Question marks on Samaris because he hasn’t been playing much and Pelkas has an injury. Not sure if Mitroglou will get the call. Pavlidis and Koulouris have been scoring. Vellios is also in good form and Donis has started playing again. We can all agree Samaris hasn’t done much for the Ethniki and shouldn’t be involved anymore. Tachtsidis and Lykogiannis can be good options as they have been playing well and have had many matches.

Leave Samaris off the team. Van't Schip has to bring Mitroglou back in especially vs Italy who will not give us many opportunities, so if one opens up he would be best bet to score. 

Also siovas has to get some playing time in the back.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Dean97 said:

Do you mean Mantalos should play as a 6 or 10?

I would play him as a kind of 8 (because of our lack of proper transition in the midfield) in front of Zeca and another DM. He seems fit at the moment and is a hard working player with decent vision, speed and passing abilities who would make our game much faster, rather than depending our other slow, bumbling options (Taxidis, Samaris, etc). I know its not his regular position but we don't have anyone else really who can do this. Zeca and his partner can do most of the dirty work and he would concentrate on transitioning the play which is what has been lacking most in the NT play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Ellada2004 said:

Leave Samaris off the team. Van't Schip has to bring Mitroglou back in especially vs Italy who will not give us many opportunities, so if one opens up he would be best bet to score. 

Also siovas has to get some playing time in the back.. 

I agree. I forgot to add Bouzoukis because I read somewhere he could be involved in the upcoming matches. Quality player. 

  • Like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, AchillesHeel said:

I would play him as a kind of 8 (because of our lack of proper transition in the midfield) in front of Zeca and another DM. He seems fit at the moment and is a hard working player with decent vision, speed and passing abilities who would make our game much faster, rather than depending our other slow, bumbling options (Taxidis, Samaris, etc). I know its not his regular position but we don't have anyone else really who can do this. Zeca and his partner can do most of the dirty work and he would concentrate on transitioning the play which is what has been lacking most in the NT play.

It seems you want to put Mantalos in a more deeper CAM role instead of an advanced one. I don’t mind that but I think Mantalos should be the 8 alongside Zeca who can be the 6. I would have either Bouzoukis or Albanis for the advanced 10 role. Fetfatzidis can play there also. We have trouble bringing the ball forward from deep and I think Mantalos can help with that and offer extra support in attack. He would also have to focus on defence and protect it as much as he can, which means he has a big task.

I just think our build up play is not good enough and I think having either Pelkas or Mantalos in the 8 position in this case Mantalos would be the best solution.

  • Like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kaj Sierhuis would be an interesting striker as he qualifies for Greece, the Skip is looking seriously at him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apparently Torosidis is retiring. 
Interesting to see whether Sokratis and Manolas is a permanent thing or they are being left out because we have conceded we aren't qualifying for  Euro 2020 and they've asked to be left out to focus on their club form/fitness

If Van't Schip has seen something he doesn't like in the dressing rooms from these guys then it brings back memories of Rehhagel in 2002, when he booted Georgatos, Zikos and others. Now this can obviously back fire because one: those 2 are by far our best center backs and two: It could upset the rest of the squad and the revolving coaching door of the ethniki will continue. 

If they cut all the senior guys (which maybe the case if Zeca and Mitro are indeed left out) the younger generation are probably inclined to take the opportunity with both hands and really establish themselves/rebuild the NT with Van't Schip.  If that is the case I hope the younger guys don't turn on the coach, work hard take this chance, thrive on the responsibility. Get us back contending for qualification in the next 2-3 tournaments. 

Edited by paokarag4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly - don't agree with a few of the names, do about the others.  I do know what we had wasn't working.  We shall see...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As good as Manolas and Socratis  are, maybe these guys along with Toro are a cancer in the dressing room and  and maybe they need to be gone from the team in order for a fresh start. I'm not saying I agree with them not being called up by any means I'm just going by all the comments that the coach has thrown out for example (too many egos on this team) Maybe this is needed in order for the team to take the next step., It's not like Manolas and Socratis have taken control of the team and brought them back to respectability since our last world cup appearance in fact the opposite has happened as we have been losing to horrible teams with these guys in the line up so how much worse can it get if they are truly gone?? Lets be honest  Manolas and Socrates went out of there way to get Angelo fired and said they will not play if he's coaching, so they got there wish and how do they respond?? with a lose in Finland and  Draw at home to Lichtenstein.. Those guys are not leaders at all IMO... 

  • Like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know everything said and done behind closed, but I do not agree with this move. 

Despite the fact that Sokratis and Manolas were pierced for Liechtenstein goal, these results were not their fault. These are two generational players for Greece, and treating them like this is a disgrace. Yes, our recent form is also a disgrace, I will say it before anyone else responds, but bad tactics and execution, along with lack of depth and talent in key positions are the culprits here. 

Desperate long-balls, aimless crosses, lazy back-passes, refusal to take on players, inability to enter the opposing box, lack of finishing, etc, cannot be blamed on the centre backs. 

This is a bold move from the manager. I hope we don't see the last of Sokratis and Manolas, but with the next competitive games being in an entire calendar year, I am afraid we will. 

  • Like it 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, paokarag4 said:

Apparently Torosidis is retiring. 
Interesting to see whether Sokratis and Manolas is a permanent thing or they are being left out because we have conceded we aren't qualifying for  Euro 2020 and they've asked to be left out to focus on their club form/fitness
 

I truly hope a conversation has been had and this decision is, if not mutual, understood by all parties.

Sokratis is tired, is in his thirties and has already contemplated retirement. Manolas has an ego. I am afraid we have seen the last of these two, who were, in the Greek NT context, generational players, especially considering the next competitive matches are in an entire calendar year. 

Sad. 

  • Like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the decision not to include them is due to the fact that they sabotaged the national team in the past then it is a step in the right direction. Time will tell. Schip should use the remaining 4 Euro games to start rebuilding the national team. 

  • Like it 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great points all round... one point mentioned that is talked about here and nowhere else is Schip’s consistent mention of egos in the dressing room... and being there for the right reasons. We don’t know but maybe these guys were the capitalists of that. 

I ageee on Toro and Samaris, but to go into a game with a very in form Italy and not have Manolas, Sokratis & Zeca is a huge risk. Our most experienced players, our two best CB’s... no one knows the Italians better than Manolas! 

On the field out midfield is our issue, when you play like we do our CB’s are the ones that have to put up with the pressure... that’s where we need to work on & Zeca was the least of that problem 

  • Like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yup it's time to try some new faces....the chemistry on the team since 2014 has been toxic. I would have cut Sokratis and Manolas as soon as they turned on Anastasiadis regardless of Angelo's shortcomings....these kind of games only damage the team. The defensive play which should be harnessed by these 2 has been atrocious so there's really nothing to lose trying out some new CBs....and it doesn't have to be permanent if they change their attitude.

I think it takes balls to clean house like this and shows that Shipper is taking his job seriously because if he panders to every [email protected]@[email protected] on the team he's the one that will get canned and it's his @ss on the line. I hope he keeps Zeca around because I don't see anyone else putting in the effort and covering the ground he does. Mitroglou's presence is a question of form....if he's playing and scoring he can be a big help as a bench option and even as a starter. Toro is too old, Samaris is hopeless

22 hours ago, Dean97 said:

It seems you want to put Mantalos in a more deeper CAM role instead of an advanced one.

No I want him smack dab in the middle of the pitch where he can be available for short easy passes from the DMs and can carry or pass into the attacking zone....an old fashioned CM.

  • Like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I seen that just now... again... dunno if these are the matches to be doing this... Italy is in hot form... they will come at us like a bull on steroids if we have no midfield to take the fight to them 

  • Like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Argy said:

I don't know everything said and done behind closed, but I do not agree with this move. 

Despite the fact that Sokratis and Manolas were pierced for Liechtenstein goal, these results were not their fault. These are two generational players for Greece, and treating them like this is a disgrace. Yes, our recent form is also a disgrace, I will say it before anyone else responds, but bad tactics and execution, along with lack of depth and talent in key positions are the culprits here. 

Desperate long-balls, aimless crosses, lazy back-passes, refusal to take on players, inability to enter the opposing box, lack of finishing, etc, cannot be blamed on the centre backs. 

This is a bold move from the manager. I hope we don't see the last of Sokratis and Manolas, but with the next competitive games being in an entire calendar year, I am afraid we will. 

Very bold move I am speechless that Van't Schip left Sokratis and Manolas off the NT. I guess this mean he has full control or else those guys would have already got him canned. 

The only negative is that he is apparently going to call up Bakasetas?? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Alphonse said:

Great points all round... one point mentioned that is talked about here and nowhere else is Schip’s consistent mention of egos in the dressing room... and being there for the right reasons. We don’t know but maybe these guys were the capitalists of that. 

I ageee on Toro and Samaris, but to go into a game with a very in form Italy and not have Manolas, Sokratis & Zeca is a huge risk. Our most experienced players, our two best CB’s... no one knows the Italians better than Manolas! 

On the field out midfield is our issue, when you play like we do our CB’s are the ones that have to put up with the pressure... that’s where we need to work on & Zeca was the least of that problem 

Ya leaving Manolas out for the Italy match is very risky. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Changes are needed and something has to give look where we are in the fifa rankings, look at the last time we’ve made a tournament, Socrates and Manolas as much as I like them have done absolutely nothing in helping this team tradition from the 2014 World Cup.. I’m not liking that he wants to give Bakasetas another look but at least this coach made some bold moves and is willing to see what we have in the younger players. We have nothing else to lose this team has already hit rock bottom doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results is ridiculous so at least let’s see if the coach can find young players that are willing to give there heart and buy into a system..

  • Like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally a ballsy manager..well about time!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The fact he did this  means he actually has control of this team not EPO so good sign, Obviously I want our two best center backs to play but if they have an attitude problem better give new blood a chance.. we lost to Armenia and copped 3 goals so I'm not worried we should try new players. 

Edited by jason
  • Like it 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, J1078 said:

Changes are needed and something has to give look where we are in the fifa rankings, look at the last time we’ve made a tournament, Socrates and Manolas as much as I like them have done absolutely nothing in helping this team tradition from the 2014 World Cup.. I’m not liking that he wants to give Bakasetas another look but at least this coach made some bold moves and is willing to see what we have in the younger players. We have nothing else to lose this team has already hit rock bottom doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results is ridiculous so at least let’s see if the coach can find young players that are willing to give there heart and buy into a system..

It's great from the sense that he is taking charge and initiative and he wants to see how the young guys can perform and he is throwing them in vs a world football power in Italy so that will give them a great taste of the international game. I just hope we can  get a result vs Bosnia as it's a rivalry and I really don't want them to get 2nd. That's were I would have wanted to see Sokratis and Manolas play, but at this point I am open to letting Van't Schip try to implement his vision for the team. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think he wants to see what he has, we lost with them 3-0 to Italy. He probably wants to be able to put his stamp on this team without worrying what the more senior players say.  Once he establishes what he wants, he can bring them back as contributing players knowing that they are part of the team, not the team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally i do not agree with not starting Socrates and Manolas

as per there are no players in Greece better than them in their respective positions (None).

I do not agree with using the national team as a testing ground.

The other thing is does anybody think that this is even the right coach to try and rebuild the national team. ?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...