Phantis Forums
Original 21

Suggested Call Ups, Starting 11

Posted (edited)

I believe we are stacked at Left back anyway. With Lykogiannis and Koutris improving and Tsimikas playing well and also with Stafylidis being the better left back. That's 4 players we can look at. 

Right back it's only Torosidis and Bakakis. Skibbe likes to play Retsos at fullback as well. 

Maybe we need to start utilizing our defence and play a 5-2-3. I'm still a big fan of Papadopoulos and I was like to see him play more often. But Sokratis and Manolas are too good to be left out. Siovas has improved a lot since moving to Spain. He has to be a back up instead of Tzavellas. 

Pelkas, Donis, Fortounis, Mantalos, Karelis, Mitroglou, Lazaros, Bakasetas and Gianniotas are the players that have to create and score goals. The problem lies in the middle of the midfield. Samaris doesn't run into space and Zeca is only good for defence. Tachtsidis has good passes but is not that solid at keeping his position. Tziolis forget about it. I'd like to see new faces there. Charisis and Bouchalakis should be experimented. They both like to create and are good at shooting. Something we have missed in this position since Karagounis. 

Siopis is too small and Galanopoulos needs more time. Kourbelis might be the answer but all these players are holding players. We really need a number 8. Who can run into space and even get in the box. Karagounis was good at this. Katsouranis was. Even Zagorakis was. Maybe Fortounis or Mantalos should play that deeper role and one behind the striker. I would give Fortounis a chance as the number 8 with Zeca or Kourbelis covering the defence. 

Edited by Dean97
  • Like it 1

Charisis and Bouchalakis have had almost no playing time since the chrismas break...Charisis due to injury and Bouchalakis has been pretty much dropped from the Nottingham squad. At RB we can also include KIvrakides of Atromitos who has had a good season and even Stergios Marinos, if needed, who has started all but 1 game at Charleroi and performed pretty well also. Kourbelis needs to bring his PAO level of performance to the NT but if we play with 5 at the back and have Zeca doing the dirty work in front of the CBs I would try Mandalos next to him to create more energy and offense (assuming he fully recovers from his injury) because he brings alot to the table.

We need to create from all angles in my opinion. The more we create the better. We saw how Bakakis created chances at right back, more than Torosidis. Karelis can let them away. Stafylidis long shots can be very dangerous for any team. Also Pelkas looks like he work way more than Fortounis and I also believe he is faster. 

So we are creating chances nearly everywhere except from the midfield. We havent got a player in the CM role that can play a killer pass on goal. Zeca and Samaris can't do that and they can't shoot. We need to be shooting more often in the middle of the field. We can't just be playing the ball side ways and always play the simple pass. This is why I said Charisis and Bouchalakis should play because they are dangerous at shooting and can play a killer pass. They haven't been playing which is not good but they play in better leagues than Tziolis. So they are a level above him. 

I also wouldn't mind seeing Mantalos in a deeper role in midfield. Here is an article of Fortounis and Pelkas. 

http://www.agonasport.com/agonasport-allnews/different-paths-of-kostas-fortounis-and-dimitris-pelkas

• Like it 1

On 11/4/2018 at 2:44 AM, Dean97 said:

If Greece u21s make it to Euro championship should we let Retsos and Donis play with them aswell? It would boost the defence and and attack.

yes the can play there, donis is 97' and retsos 98' born. imagine a squad of;

kotsaris (gk), tsimikas, retsos, mavropanos, saliakas, galanopoulos, androutsos, limnios, lamprou, manthatis, donis

• Like it 1

12 hours ago, Boxou said:

yes the can play there, donis is 97' and retsos 98' born. imagine a squad of;

kotsaris (gk), tsimikas, retsos, mavropanos, saliakas, galanopoulos, androutsos, limnios, lamprou, manthatis, donis

That's would be a top team. Surely we have someone better than Kotsaris. Maybe Siabanis but he is u19s so he is out of the question. We even have Koulouris. Thats good so far. How old is Kyriakopoulos? He certainly should have a future in the senior national team. 

An interesting interview where Panagiotis Kone said that if he is called up to the national team he will do his best but also said that the national team need younger talent now and the he was shocked that Galanopoulos wasn't picked a few weeks ago. He also said that Galanopoulos and Lambropoulos deserve to be called up after what they've done this season with AEK. I hope Skibbe was listening. 

• Like it 1

Posted (edited)

I think if Kourbelis was able to play on par with with his PAO performances it would solve alot of the problems in the midfield. With Zeca next to him we would be able to play a Mantalos (not Fortounis) between them as a transitional player who can move with the ball instead of Samaris or Taxtsides who have under performed and would free up the full backs to be able to get forward as well. If Mantalos returns at the same level as before he can be the missing link that would give us a fourth attacker on the field when moving forward and also have 7 in back when defending. This would also work with Kpaps (or maybe even Kone or Galanopoulos) at DM instead of Kourbelis with Zeca. Mantalos would bring alot more speed and energy in the midfield and also give him the platform to contribute with all his abilities (I've always thought he might be able to take on the Karagounis type role). Donis and Lazaros would be on the wings (with Gianniotas as backup) and would be able to stay farther up field for the counter (and to keep the opposition's defenders pinned back). I would also call up Manias as 3rd choice striker (forget about Koulouris for now)....Manos would have to be assessed next year when playing in the top flight....with Mitroglou and Karelis as 1st choices there's no need to rush him.

Edited by AchillesHeel
  • Like it 1

Posted (edited)

Actually if I'm not mistaken Manos also plays on the wing which is where we lack depth....that might give him an edge over others even if he's unproven in the top level especially since Gianniotas has barely gotten a sniff lately. He also just got a hat trick against Panegalios today.

Edited by AchillesHeel

Manos is on fire. Let's see how he does next season. I agree about him playing on the wing. 

that would give us nice wing options with donis laz and fetfa finally. 

mitro

Donis         Fetfa               Laz

Zeca

Staf Kpaps Sokratis Manolas Bakakis

Karnezis

No brainer line up that I think even skibbe could think up

Edited by georgelaz