Phantis Forums

Suggested Call Ups, Starting 11

And your two guys that were the worst were playing out of position. Like I said previously, most players are not world class out of position, even if they are in their rightful positions.

Mantalos is in as an AM, or a CM or not in at all, Bakasetas as a SS or CF/Striker. Fortounis is always one game away from blowing a match apart-but never gets around to it. He should be a CM or even as a LW, he is one who can play well there. KPaps as a DM doesn't offer more than Samaris, Taxi, Zeca or Siopis in attack. He offers more in the way of ill-discipline and red cards.

Edited by ausgreek

On 7/20/2017 at 3:05 AM, ausgreek said:

And your two guys that were the worst were playing out of position. Like I said previously, most players are not world class out of position, even if they are in their rightful positions.

Mantalos is in as an AM, or a CM or not in at all, Bakasetas as a SS or CF/Striker. Fortounis is always one game away from blowing a match apart-but never gets around to it. He should be a CM or even as a LW, he is one who can play well there. KPaps as a DM doesn't offer more than Samaris, Taxi, Zeca or Siopis in attack. He offers more in the way of ill-discipline and red cards.

Despite KPaps disciplinary issues - and I do agree he needs to control himself better - I think he is our best option at DM1. He is top class defensively, can win the ball, good in the air, strong on his feet, skilled at defending set-pieces and at supporting the CBs. He also has the guts to make some forward runs and be a real aerial thread on our set-pieces. Maybe most importantly though, his confidence, hunger, enthusiasm, and toughness is contagious. The way I see it, his teammates feel bigger, better and stronger when he is on the pitch and his opponents feel smaller. It's very much psychological but I think his presence is paramount and he should be a lock at DM when everyone's healthy.  

Edited by Argy

I agree with everything you said Argy. But I doubt Skibbe would play him there. He put him right back against Estonia and did well. He is a talented player. He and Stafylidis are needed in the starting line up. Stafylidis is becoming a key player for us and maybe a future captain.

I think if it wasn`t for his untimely injuries and suspensions we would have seen him in that position more often. I for one really support a 3 CB formation. We have the mobile full-backs and 3 top class CBs, I don't get why we have not given this a shot. 

This is what I would field:

------------------------------------Karnezis----------------------------------------

-------------------Manolas  Papadopoulos  Sokratis------------------

Torosidis-----------------------------------------------------------Stafylidis

---------------------Samaris-------------------Tachtsidis---------------------

------------------------------------Fortounis-------------------------------------

---------------------------------------Donis---------------------------------------

------------------------------------Mitroglou-------------------------------------

Edited by Argy
  • Like it 1

The Skibbe won't play 3 CB's because he would have Toro, Stafy and the mids running back too much on the counter. Unless he uses KPaps as a DM that drops back as a CB in defence, where that would make four CB's and two wing backs. 

A 3 4 3 would then become a 4 5 1 or a 4 3 3.

Orestis

Manolas                                        Sokratis                  Oikonomou

Toro                          KPaps                      Zeca                             Stafylidis

P Mantalos                                           K Fortounis

K Mitroglou                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 

Edited by ausgreek

Ausgreek that's is also a good line up. But a 4-2-3-1 is the best formation. It's more balanced. K.Paps has to be involved somewhere. Who knows he might do better than Samaris as the holding mid. Which also let's the other mid have more freedom in attack. Whether that's Zeca, Tachtsidis or even Maniatis. Another things is we haven't got good enough wingers. A 3-5-2 can be an option. Which let's Torosidis and Stafylidis play on the flanks. I'd prefer a 3-5-2 and play our best players but the 4-2-3-1 seems to be working for us, so I wouldn't change anything now.

A 3 5 2 can even revert to a 4 4 2 in defence. 4 2 3 1 is very effective for Greece, I agree.

Also what can be considered in a 3 4 3, Toro can play Right CB, alongside Manolas and Sokratis whilst Gianniotas, Donis or Manthatis can be on the Right flank.

Actually, Samaris could play as the CMid, hark back to that World Cup goal, he doesn't get those opportunities too far back.

A side note, I saw quite abit of Avraam last season, he looks like a tank and isn't timid either. Good CB still.

Edited by ausgreek

Avraam....Plays in the A League...

We have CD who play in La Liga, Serie A, Bundesliga and top Greek clubs..

any thought of avraam is beyond outrageous..

K.Pap

Siovas

Sokratis

Manolas

Retsos

Risvanis

Koutroubis

Oikonomou

do I need to go on.....not a 33yo Brisbane Roar CD...

Samaris and Taxi are walks ups in the 11...

Yes but do you agree on the latest suggestion about the 3 4 3 possibility? Don't worry about Avraam, that was a side issue. I may get arrested over this Sheriff!

Risvanis, Retsos, Siovas, Koutroubis, Taxi, Samaris and possibly Oik are not proven to be better at CB, at the top level, than my friend Abraham (Avraam).

Edited by ausgreek

your friend Avraam has not played at the top level for 5 years and before major knee injuries...

Siovas is playing La Liga....Taxi has played Serie A...

Avraam..is an  ex footballer compared to the rest..

regarding formations...We can argue all night 3-4-3 or whatever...essentially in modern football all formations morph into a variation of 4-5-1 anyway you dice it..

Depth in each position:

Orestis Karnezis (Napoli?)

Stefanos Kapino (Olympiakos) 

Kostas Lamprou (Ajax)

Other alternative options are Mparkas (Aek), Vlachodimos (Panathinaikos, should be capped soonly) and Gianniotis (Olympiakos).

CB:

Sokratis Papastathopoulos (Dortmund)

Kostas Manolas (Roma)

Kyriakos Papadopoulos (Hamburg)

Panagiotis Retsos (Leverkuzen?)

Dimitris Siovas (Leganes)

Marios Oikonomou (SPAL)

RB:

Vasilis Torosidis (Bologna)

Giorgos Tzavellas (Alanyaspor)

Mpampis Lykogiannis (Saint-Ettiene?)

LB:

Kostas Stafylidis (Hamburg?)

Leonardo Koutris (Olympiakos)

Alexandros Katranis (Saint-Ettiene)

DMF:

Andreas Samaris (Newcastle?)

Panagiotis Tachtsidis (Olympiakos)

Dimitris Kourbelis (Panathinaikos)

Manolis Siopis (Olympiakos)

Zeca (Panathinaikos)

Giannis Maniatis (Alanyaspor)

AMF/Wingers:

Kostas Fortounis (Olympiakos)

Tasos Donis (Stuttgart)

Petros Mantalos (Aek)

Tasos Chatzigiovannis (Panathinaikos)

Giannis Gianniotas (Olympiakos?)

Lazaros Christodoulopoulos (Aek)

CF:

Kostas Mitroglou (Benfica)

Nikos Karelis (Genk)

Apostolos Vellios (Nottingham Forest)

Tasos Mpakasetas (Aek)

Dimitris Diamantakos (Bochum)

I don't think Retsos will leave this season. Although he is young he should be playing in this team. Chatzigiovannis is an excellent prospect, looks like he is becoming a good player at PAO. I thought Inter were trying to buy Stafylidis. I'm liking the midfield now Boxou. Kourbelis is now replacing Tziolis hopefully. 

Retsos will play for Olympiakos in the games against Rijeka for the champions league and then he will be gone, numerous journalists in both Greece and Germany reported that Olympiakos reached an agreement with Bayer Leverkuzen for 15 million euros and 20% of the money of the next sale.

Mitroglou

Staf                                       Fortounis

Tachtsi Samaris

Tzav Sokratis Kpaps Manolas Torosidis

Karnezis

Subs

Zeca, Karelis, Mantalos, Gianniotas, kapino

Possible players if form picks up this season

Kone, Pelkas

I think this is skibbe's template and is pretty solid and has that euro 2004 family feel, with arguably more talented players rather than scrappy.

fetfa and holebas would have been useful but attitude problems could be cancerous for the locker room, and we're getting results so I'm happy for now.

Lazo u unpredictable person, are you parking the bus or is KPaps DM with Taxi and Samaris two ACM'ers in that formation, when they are on the attack?  Pirates always play with two DM's anyway.

Mantalos would do well as an AM.

Edited by ausgreek

I dont think some of the Euro 04 side is better than some of our current players. Below is a list of the players I think of who is better on their prime:

Giannakopoulos > Gianniotas

Karagounis > Fortounis

Seitaridis > Torosidis 

Nikopolidis > Karnezis 

Tsiartas > Mantalos

Basinas > Tachtsidis

Zagorakis > Samaris

Nikolaidis > Karelis

Manolas > Kapsis

Sokratis > Dellas 

Stafylidis = Fyssas 

Mitroglou = Charisteas

The thing is I was a bit too young to remember the Euro 04 side and how good they were but from watching clips and reading up on some of the players the majority of that team is better than the team we have now. We were a very defensive team that played on the counter attack. We also are like that now. In my opinion there are 2 or 3 players currently who are even better than some of the players of the 04 side. 

The other thing is we have talent now. Back then we did as well but back then we had a very good and smart coach who disciplined his players and had a system that worked very well and suited perfectly with the players he had. Similarly that's what's happening now. The big difference is the midfield back then took charge, now I don't see that. Our defence is still solid like it was then. We have weakened in the full back position and the wing positions. Mitroglou is as good as Charisteas but Charisteas was faster. I don't know maybe someone else can analyse the old crop and current crop better than me but I do believe we have good enough talent now to score more goals and so on. But we don't have depth.

7 hours ago, jvc said:

The 2004 team was way better!!!  This team is on a rebuilding process....doing good in my opinion.  If they keep improving at this rate,  I predict in 4 years we will see good things.

Yeah i agree.

The reason why we are improving is because of our defense mostly.

http://www.agonasport.com/agonasport-allnews/magical-debut-for-bouchalakistwo-golares-with-forest

Have a look at this

• Dutch Eagle pinned, unpinned and pinned this topic