Phantis Forums
Original 21

Suggested Call Ups, Starting 11

I like Kone, but I really think that form should play a big part of who gets selected. 1789's list seems like the best option for us. And most realistic, since Katsouranis will inevitably play.

Karnezis

Torosidis---Manolas---Sokratis---Stafyllidis

Samaris---Katsouranis

Fetfatzidis---Ninis---Karelis

Mitroglou

Fortounis in for Karelis sounds like a good move to me as well. Perhaps Moras over Katsouranis?

Never doubt the power of Karagounis.

Id have Tachtsidis in for Kats and Fortounis in for for Karelis (who probably comes into replace Mitroglou when he inevitably gasses out)

Kats has form...he scored twice in his last match....................................... :lol: :D :tup: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You have to laugh. The guy has no business as a National team player. We all know that. The player himself knows that but Karagounis is loyal to his kolitous.

Same obviously for Vydra and Tziolis.

If we fail to go to Euro 2016 surely that will end this embarrassing farce.

If Fortounis is infact ruled out, tarnished fingernail or tan went orange or something, SEEERG baby should not muck about and opt for Takis Fyssas or Dimitrios Papadopoulos to replace him. They won euro in '04 so this way we stick with experienced mids, crucial infact. Leave it to Karagounis to organise.

If Fortounis is out, it's a shame, but this vastly increases the chances of Ninis making an appearance.

Seriously doubt Markarian will start Ninis. Lazaros has made the correct connections off the pitch. The 11 will not be decided by who is in form, but who is willing to give Karagounis' bunions a rub..

Kone and Lazaros are not carrying any form - or even club games into this team. Yet somehow.. they look set to start according to reports.

Edited by Reaper

You are absolutely right, there is no reason not to. Too many safe and complacent people. Mitroglou couldn't hit a beach ball with a tennis racket.

Not even that.. Lazaros is still starting games because of  the only goal he ever scored for the NT against Lithuania. 

Let's not go over the top with Lazaros. He's better than yesterday's performance

At the moment I don't think he is. He was trash against Hungary also and got the lowest ratings from the Greek media. He needs time away from the team.

Tell me 1789, do you think Xolebas would have played the same as Stafilidis last night.

Remember, Faroes made 5 guilt edged chances from that left pocket and scored 2 of them.

Anyone know when Kyriakos is due back, this left a gaping hole like the Grand Canyon, by not being available against that new football power Faroes.

Edited by ausgreek

i think Karelis will be a massive upgrade for us in the future he has the energy the skill the determination and most importantly the passion. Sokratis is a must stay in this team so is Kyriakos, Manolas pissed me off a bit, i dont know if i will keep him there all the time. Moras should play more i think. WIth Samaris and  Kyriakos in the middle and Ninis i believe we have a well balance midfield with hardworking, aggressive and solid passing and creating. Lazaros and Kone can be on the bench.

We need to use the next four games to test players like Kaltsas Kourbelis Gianniotas Mantalos Diamantakos Bakakis Petsos and Kolovos to figure out if they will have a future spot on this team. At this point, Stafylidis should still be our LB to gain more experience, same with Samaris and Tachtsidis, all of them need to gain more experience in these 4 meaningless games. We need to build some sort of core to build off of for the World Cup qualifiers. We probably won't qualify for the World Cup but we need to have a solid showing to build momentum for Euro 2020 qualifying...

We also need to find the coach of the future ASAP, someone that knows Greek soccer that will rebuild the entire national team set up from u15 to the senior team, we need to find an identity. Michel maybe?

Or Ketsbaia??

Edited by Original 21

Qualifying for the 2018 World Cup should be our goal. That obviously depends on the right decisions based on coaching and squad selections.

If we continue in this current zombie walk then Euro 2020 is the next realistic qualification goal.

At this moment our results are garbage. Real issues with coaching structures, players etc but things can change relatively quickly. This isn't months, but years in the making.

I agree we have to take a long term view of things and if that means sacrificing the couple of qualification campaigns then I'm fine with that.

we went from an average team in 2002 WC qualifying to topping Euro 2004.

I don't really care for these stronger nations. When we draw them in future qualification.

Croatia, Switzerland, Sweden, Russia, Denmark, Wales, Belgium, Ukraine, Slovakia, Bosnia and 20 other nations aren't our better. I'd even think England and Holland aren't the team everyone thinks they are.

Regardless, dropping in the rankings and drawing stronger opposition is not the problem we need to address.

We need to have a serious internal review and stop papering over massive chasms with temporary solutions.

The worst thing we can do is move forward with a few stragglers and a bruised ego.

The best thing we can do is have a cleanout of players and staff, new coach and a reformed EPO which allows more friendlies.

Edited by Reaper

Friendlies are reliant upon the International calendar.....

player clean out???

karnezis,manolas, sokratis, k.pap, samaris, taxi, fetfa, karelis, mitro, ninis, fortounis, mandalos, kapino,  will all be part of any rebuild and reload for WC 2020....SIMPLY THERE ARE NO OTHERS TO STEP UP....

The U21s lost 3-0 to Slovenia U21last month.....enough said....

Over and above the players I mentioned we then have Kolovos, Lagos, Klaus, Klonaridis, Bouchalakis, Fountas, Kaltsas, Petsos, Kourbelis, Oikonomou, Stafyllidis, Diamantakos, Siovas, Pelkas.

There are simply no OTHER choices.......

we are totally obliged to work with what we have.......and may be pinch hit with a few older guys like Holebas, Samaras, Aravidis,Kone, Torosidis  for any given match... based on current club form, team balance and opposition.

I have named 30+  players......sorry over and above that there are no others...

Qualifiers come around very quickly....we have 4 more in this campaign to find confidence, a game plan, and springboard for 2018 WC qualifiers.....No need to sit around crying....the world won't stop for us...we will be in the next draw, and the next and the next and the next...

Most of our players play in high standard leagues or have high exposure to UCL, Europa League opposition on a regular basis...

EPO reforming the structure at youth level is a different story...yet something tells me that the Faroe Islands FA with a population of 49,000 has a far bigger task to work on regarding youth development than EPO does....

so common sense would then indicate our problems are elsewhere....with the players mental preparation and the coaching staff's inability to find a suitable game plan..

my son plays U7s.....and every week we come up against teams that play different styles, different sized pitches and different level of ability..yet the coaches adapt the game plan accordingly....so to do the 6YO KIDS....And we end up winning more  games than we lose..........

And make money depending on if the fans want to see the game. There is only so many times Greece can play Romania before fans lose the will the live. 

Edited by Reaper

The fans are not stupid either. Katsouranis, Salpigidis, Tziolis, Mantzios, Basinas, Spyropoulos and Vyntra were all in the starting11. 

Never going to sell many tickets in Piraeus to see those boys represent Greece.

Thing is, with the above lineup - I would certainly not pay money to see them against Italy. A squad like that may have sold more tickets in the Leoforo.

Many Greeks simply will not pay money to watch Katsouranis, Vyntra, Basinas, Mantzios and Tziolis and I don't blame them. Greeks spend a fortune on Nova - it is one of the most expensive sat packages available in Europe. They know what they like to watch.