Phantis Forums
Original 21

Suggested Call Ups, Starting 11

Well that is my opinion and I'm sticking with it. No one has stepped up to the mark since Samaras has been injured/ dropped. Fetfatzidis and Ninis both to light weight. Lazaros not skillful enough, Kone not consistent. If Samaras is fit we'd be crazy not to play him.

I have said this previously but the flippant way many posters dismiss players based on a few seconds of highlights is annoying.

Lazaros didn't get much match time in the second half of the season for Verona so that's a concern, but can anyone really say he's not good enough or skilful, or slow when we have guys like Vydra and Katsouranis still kicking around?

Lazaros was one of the better players against the Magyars. Not sure what people are seeing.

The guy can help this team. He's skillful direct play needs to be harnessed by the coach as he seems to play with out instruction at times. No doubts about his abilities though.

• Like it 2

Lazo, Kone, Katsouranis, Vyntra, take your pick. All not starters based on a long journey of not overly-inspiring efforts.Nothing flippant about them pal.

• Like it 1

Do you  reckon Markarian will pick Ninis tommorrow. I would like to see him and Fetfatzidis play.

Edited by Dean97

If we select Ninis, Fetfa and Fortounis which I think should be in contention, you also need the "donkeys" to do the hard work as well.

One of Taxi, Samaris and Kone. A Maniatis type of player to balance the attacking and creative players.

I think the one aim should firstly be just to keep possession. To achieve that we need players who don't resort to floating the ball aimlessly into the box as soon as an opposing player approaches them and players that don't run fast into blind allies. 

Second aim after possession should be to score. For that we need the vision and attacking talents Ninis and Fetfatzidis.

To actually put the ball in the net we need to make sure players like Mitroglou despite his neurosis.. are selected.. and players like Klaus.. are not given another 10 games to try and get a single goal..

Karelis and Kolovos should be ready to replace whoever is upfront if we are struggling.

We need an end to the culture of selecting someone who had a good game 2 years ago - just because of that experience..

We need a high possession game.. opposing teams have figured out the concede the midfield and rely on set pieces strategy.

I would go for this:

.....................Keeper...........

Toro....Manolas....Sokratis......Xolebas

...............Taxi....Samaris.............

Ninis...............Fetfa............Gianniotas

..............Mitro..............................

Subs: Kolovos, Kourbelis, Karelis etc etc

Edited by Reaper

^i would only swap ninis with fetfa , i thought ninis under santos on the right didnt really worked out.

Possession? The thing above all that we absolutely cannot handle, is possession.

Horses for courses..

If you want to play a possession game, you can't have players like Tziolis, Vyntra, Katsouranis, Lazaros, Kone, etc..

If you want to play possession football, you need players who can trap a football fast and play one touch football.

Positive:

No Claus

Ninis included

Negative:

No Gianniotas, Kourbelis

Vyntra included

Katsouranis included

Lazaros included

Why Fountas instead of Aravidis or Gianniotas?? Why Tziolis instead of Kourbelis? Why Vyntra instead of anyone else? I had a feeling Katsouranis would be included so I won't question that but the other three are questionable choices.

With these call ups I'd go with a 4-2-3-1 for the Faroe Islands game:

Karnezis

Torosidis Sokratis Manolas Stafylidis

Samaris Tachtsidis

Fetfatzidis Ninis Fortounis

Mitroglou or Karelis

For the friendly I'd go with a 4-3-3 to play everyone:

Vellidis

Torosidis Tavlaridis Moras Tassoulis

Katsouranis (CDM we have no midfielders with us)

Lazaros Kone (CMs in front of Katsouranis)

Kolovos Karelis (or mitroglou) Fountas

We really could have used another CDM like Kourbelis or Lagos instead of Vyntra or Tziolis with the team because other than Samaris Katsouranis Tachtsidis and Tziolis we have no other central midfielders, and Tziolis is trash and shouldn't play.

• Like it 1

Seems that Karagounis has been successful in getting rid of our Uruguayan Greek firebrand Xolebas. That and making sure Katsuranis, Tziolis (??? He has been playing like garbage these last years) and Vyntra are still in the team... Karagounis has been a very negative figure in the set up. When Ranieri dropped Katsouranis, he signed his death warrant with Karagounis.

Also what is sad is that Kourbelis has played incredibly well for Asteras and is young. He also has goals in him. Kourbelis should not only be in the squad, he should be getting minutes as he is a future leader in the midfield. This is the time he should be exposed to international football - but like 1000s of Greeks before him, he has to wait and deteriorate while Katsouranis and Tziolis collect their blood money.

Tziolis has been hitting passes out of play through out the  playoffs - I have watched him do it. Despite what some PAOK fans say on here, has been a big big part of the reason PAOK are spent as a force. 

Markarian was not hired to change things - he was hired to continue the status quo. That is why Karagounis didn't like Michel as manager, he owes nothing to Tziolis, Katsouranis and Vyntra.

Edited by Reaper

At least as I always said, Greece is consistent from economy, to administration, to sports. Every part of Greek culture is aimed at protecting s%$#! professionals and encouraging unsuitable employees to last for decades.

Kourbelis has just learnt like many many Greeks before him. Doesn't matter how good you are - how talented, how successful. You are Greek and that means all that matters is your connections away from football.

I salute every Greek who distances themselves from the 'Greek system.' To those who apologise for it.. I think you are part of the problem..

Edited by Reaper

I'm disappointed at such retrograde call ups of Kats, Tziolis and Vydra.

These offer so little to the squad. Why call up these 3 players in particular as 1789 mentioned against the Faroes and for a friendly? It's illogical and it just proves how inept Karagounis has been.

I wish he was never appointed as he has way too much influence. He's bias is a real negative force and he rewards his friends.

Pick 1 of Tziolis or Kats if you must go down this path but not both! Also in hindsight I have changed my mind and don't think he should have excluded Holebas. If he is wrong about Holebas' motivation then it's on his head if he never plays again.

• Like it 3

Greece in my opinion is finished, Karagounis is selfish, we need goals we don't need kats or vyntra And tziolis??? Really?? Is Segio turning into a yes man? Without xolebas we might barley sneak by Faroe which even that will be difficult but going forward we are finished, I do like Ninis/fortounis/fetfa on a positive note. Wtf is the issue with xolebas? We need him if we are serious about making a miracle run to try and get 3rd.

• Like it 1

I dont think 2 defensive mids are needed...would be refreshing if the new skipper just let them play!

Would love to see

...................Karnezis...........................

Toro...Sokratis...Manolas...Stafylidis

.................Tachtsidis.............

Fetfa.................................Fortounis

...................Ninis................................

...........Mitro..............Karelis

Perhaps you should be more concerned with Katsouranis scoring a brace vs Panathinaikos. He is, after all, more likely to play.

Why what have you heard from the agents? Doesn't matter if Katsouranis scores 5 or doesn't score or play well in 25 games.. that is not why he is selected. I will always be more concerned with players like Kourbelis, young - fast - better passer than Tziolis, being left out because of corruption. Looks like PAOK are finishing last. Asteras 1 PAOK 0...  I wonder who PAOK will sign next season..Kapsis?

Edited by Reaper

You know, sto kato kato, the selecting of the national teams over the years, like now, even though there has been success at times, with all the oldies still getting a run, reminds me of a group of friends going to a rave party in 70's gear, and everyone is 18-22 years of age. They ask for marujiana, they get laughed at, and told there are only pills, and told they are kidding, they are geriatrics! 

We must get with the times. A successful model for player squads is proven to be 22-28 years of age, with the ODD 30 year old. That's the model. Now fit the names into that model. Fullstop!!!! Need energy in these games maaan..

• Like it 1

win is a must offcourse and then lets hope that finland wins from hungary , then we have the play offs in our own hands.

newsbeast comes with this. not sure if its in this formation but i think so.

-----------------------------------karnezis----------------------------

torosidis--------------manolas-------sokratis-----------stafylidis

---------------------------samaris----xxxxxxxxx----------------------

-----------------------------------kone--------------------------------

fetfatzidis-------------------------------------------------xxxxxxxxxxx

-------------------------------xxxxxxxxxxx------------------------------

it also says that markarian is thinking of tachtsidis in the midfield and fortounis on the left , and mitroglou is more favorite to start as forward then karelis.

what i dont get is if he starts kone who has a bad season and is out of form and lacks confidence. i didnt follow pao but i read in their section that ninis is on his way back and  in good form. im happy with the rest of the line up if true.

http://www.newsbeast.gr/sports/arthro/830617/poious-exetazei-gia-endekada-o-markarian/

https://translate.google.nl/translate?sl=el&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=nl&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.newsbeast.gr%2Fsports%2Farthro%2F830617%2Fpoious-exetazei-gia-endekada-o-markarian%2F&edit-text=&act=url

Edited by Nikitas
  • Like it 1

Yea, I would leave out Kone, he brings much disharmony to build up play. Also very easy to close down as his first touch is poor.