Phantis Forums
Original 21

Suggested Call Ups, Starting 11

7 hours ago, Argy said:

K. Papadopoulos over Oikonomou every day of the week. 

I agree 1000%. Oikonomou and Kolovetsios shouldn't be on the national team. As back ups it should be Mavropanos and Retsos. 

3 hours ago, Boxou said:

Is this Manos thing a joke?  Dude has played only 1 game this season and is not something special as a player. Basically he reminds me of Diamantakos, would flop when asked to deliver. 

Koulouris who's limited is better than him.

I respectively disagree. Manos can deliver when given the chance it's just will the coach give him more opportunities. Manos is technically better than Koulouris and I believe if Manos was at Atromitos he would score the same or more goals than Koulouris in my opinion. Look at the way he has scored his goals in his career. He looks clinical. Long range, headers, 1v1 and close range. So far he had 1 game and 1 goal. 

Anyone with a football brain would be open minded to all selections. skibbe isn't. Charisis and Hatzidiakos need to be given chances and they haven't.

Sokratis, Manolas, Holebas, Vlachodimos, Fortounis, Fetfatzidis and Zeca should be locks in this team in my opinion. 

Dean, for the great stats Manos has, it was in the Greek Second Division and since his transfer he has played 1 game for Olympiakos in the Cup...

To be fair, if we want to talk - football brain - you can't expect to have someone with one cup appearance and not first division experience, to get drafted into the National Team which is a whole new level, if he was worthy of this, he would at least be making the Olympiakos squad file

• Like it 1

Yes @Alphonse I agree, but our national team is not gifted with strikers and we are very limited in that position. Karelis is injury prone and Donis is a winger. Who else have we got apart from Mitroglou. Vellios and Diamantakos had their chance. Why not give Manos a chance and see what he has got. Don't talk to me about how many minutes a player has because we all know it doesn't mean anything in this national team. 

Manos should have been loaned out to Atromitos or Panionios. You would then see the talent he has got. Same goes for other Greeks in the Olympiakos squad. Olympiakos wanted to be stacked in every position this season so they could go far in Europe and hopefully win the double. I believe if Manos get ls more chances he will prove himself more. 

Giannoulis is a random selection if you ask me. Not talented enough to be in the national team yet. Where is Lykogiannis? Also Koutris? Yes we have players injured in that position. Karelis has only played about 2 games for PAOK. But still gets selected. Manos has more talent than Vellios and Diamantakos in my opinion. I remember Mantalos was chosen a few years ago when he was playing in the second division with AEK and we had other options there as well. 

Edited by Dean97

9 hours ago, georgelaz said:

fetfa nearly won the game for oly in the 1-1 draw vs. aek

forotunis with a beauty goal and bakasetas great header goal to equalize.

9 hours ago, georgelaz said:

fetfa nearly won the game for oly in the 1-1 draw vs. aek

forotunis with a beauty goal and bakasetas great header goal to equalize.

As a PAO fan I was actually hoping Fetfa would have scored that. When the ball got played to him in that position I thought it was a sure goal, he didn’t get his body over the ball and shot over the net. I hope Skiibe plays him and I would love to see him score in one of these two games for the Ethniki.

25 minutes ago, Ellada2004 said:

As a PAO fan I was actually hoping Fetfa would have scored that. When the ball got played to him in that position I thought it was a sure goal, he didn’t get his body over the ball and shot over the net. I hope Skiibe plays him and I would love to see him score in one of these two games for the Ethniki.

I'm PAO as well. Thought most pao fans were anti-gauro?

I like all Greek teams though and seeing what AEK did to their team after winning the league makes me prefer Oly as the top greek team. They're better managed and aren't cheap with buying big players and strive to be elite.

• Like it 1

I guess Koulouris can score goals after all. He has 6 so far, Mykonos has 3, Manias 2 Diamantakos 2 Donis 1 & Karelis 0.

With keepers, Vlaho should be picked as he has indicated he wants to play Greek ball.

Edited by ausgreek
  • Like it 1

9 hours ago, Dean97 said:

Yes @Alphonse I agree, but our national team is not gifted with strikers and we are very limited in that position. Karelis is injury prone and Donis is a winger. Who else have we got apart from Mitroglou. Vellios and Diamantakos had their chance. Why not give Manos a chance and see what he has got. Don't talk to me about how many minutes a player has because we all know it doesn't mean anything in this national team. 

Manos should have been loaned out to Atromitos or Panionios. You would then see the talent he has got. Same goes for other Greeks in the Olympiakos squad. Olympiakos wanted to be stacked in every position this season so they could go far in Europe and hopefully win the double. I believe if Manos get ls more chances he will prove himself more. 

Giannoulis is a random selection if you ask me. Not talented enough to be in the national team yet. Where is Lykogiannis? Also Koutris? Yes we have players injured in that position. Karelis has only played about 2 games for PAOK. But still gets selected. Manos has more talent than Vellios and Diamantakos in my opinion. I remember Mantalos was chosen a few years ago when he was playing in the second division with AEK and we had other options there as well. 

No that's a no brainer. You want Manos to get a call up desperately despite him having played only one game this season and in general no official games in the Greek top division...Also I guess you have not watched Oikonomou this year since he's been in a very good shape so far rather than Mavropanos who after recording a couple of games last season, he's warming the bench in this one.

Regarding your question about Giannoulis' call up you should know that Koutris has only 2 caps this year afaik which means no playing time while Lykogiannis is injured.

• Like it 2

1 hour ago, ausgreek said:

I guess Koulouris can score goals after all. He has 6 so far, Mykonos has 3, Manias 2 Diamantakos 2 Donis 1 & Karelis 0.

With keepers, Vlaho should be picked as he has indicated he wants to play Greek ball.

Koulouris is taking full advantage of the opportunity to prove himself in the GSL. He's performed well with the U21 and hopefully he can transition to the men's side because we don't have many options at striker. Manos isn't an option at all at the moment and I doubt he will get many chances at oly, but that's what you get when you're young and greek and sign for oly.

Lykogiannis is injured....many were calling for Tsimikas and now that he's fallen out of favor at oly after some bad appearances are calling again for Koutris who has 2 appearances and hasn't even made the bench for most games at oly. Giannoulis is having a fine season at 1st place Atromitos so I'd prefer him over , say, Tzavellas...and if he wasn't needed for the U21 game I'd have Tsimikas backing him up despite his recent drop in form until Staf gets his $#it together and Lykogiannis gets back from injury.

We all know Manolas and Sokratis are starting every game barring injuries so whether its Oikonomou or Siovas or whoever they won't make an impact on the actual game as long as they're solid (Kolovetsios should be dropped).

Guys you need to check who is injured and has been getting regular playing time before trashing Skibbe for not calling up your favs.

oops Boxou, me prolaves.

Edited by AchillesHeel
  • Like it 3

10 hours ago, georgelaz said:

I'm PAO as well. Thought most pao fans were anti-gauro?

I like all Greek teams though and seeing what AEK did to their team after winning the league makes me prefer Oly as the top greek team. They're better managed and aren't cheap with buying big players and strive to be elite.

I just want Fetfa to perform well and score goals so he can be a regular on the NT.

• Like it 3

I want Manthatis to play regular which is too hard to crack at Oly. Wish he was at pao/aek/paok. He would surely get game time there.

Him and Donis on the wings would bring pace that we've never had to my memory of greek football. Though pace isn't everything the fact that top teams like PSG (neymar/mpappe), Juventus (quadrado/costa), liverpool (mane/salah), man city (sane/sterling) all heavily rely on pacey wingers I think demonstrates that pace might be king in the modern game.

still  cheesed that we never called up Valentino Lazaro. He'd be the fastest greek player by far AND has technical skill. though he's far removed from greek football world and is mostly a product of Austrian system so I think most of greek football wasn't aware of him. I discovered him by accident after noticing his greek sounding name

Edited by georgelaz
  • Like it 1

According to Agonasport Mantalos has been ruled out with a left knee injury. Also Tzavellas and Lazaros are doubtful to play vs Hungary.

2 minutes ago, Ellada2004 said:

According to Agonasport Mantalos has been ruled out with a left knee injury. Also Tzavellas and Lazaros are doubtful to play vs Hungary.

wouldn't really want any of the above the start anyways. Lazaros hasn't been as sharp lately and Fortounis has looked great. Mantalos off the bench wouldn't mind as a CAM tho and same with lazaros but not starters.

27 minutes ago, georgelaz said:

wouldn't really want any of the above the start anyways. Lazaros hasn't been as sharp lately and Fortounis has looked great. Mantalos off the bench wouldn't mind as a CAM tho and same with lazaros but not starters.

They have been in poor form recently. No Tzavellas would be good news.

3 hours ago, georgelaz said:

And who want you start over Lazaros? Donis is also injured. Most likely our wingers will be Pelkas and Fetfatzidis which means we'll see again 3 AMs along with Fortounis behind Mitroglou. 

Zeca and hopefully Kourmpelis will play atmidfield with Mpakakis, Sokratis, Manolas and one of Torosidis or Tsimikas. Mparkas as the goalie.

Offensively we'll be dealing no pressure from the wings since there are no natural wingers and thats something you people who want the likes of Pelkas and Fetfatzidis to be our starting wingers. At this level against Hungary and Finland you might not notice it but we can't beat anyone above our weight with such a line up. Players would crash with each other since all of them play more centrally.

Long story short Donis and Lazaros is the best we can provide for this position. 

• Like it 2

3 hours ago, Ellada2004 said:

They have been in poor form recently. No Tzavellas would be good news.

Tzavellas can't play Lb any more, Skibbe probably realised it against Hungary where he got subbed off in the half time.

3 hours ago, Boxou said:

And who want you start over Lazaros? Donis is also injured. Most likely our wingers will be Pelkas and Fetfatzidis which means we'll see again 3 AMs along with Fortounis behind Mitroglou. 

Zeca and hopefully Kourmpelis will play atmidfield with Mpakakis, Sokratis, Manolas and one of Torosidis or Tsimikas. Mparkas as the goalie.

Offensively we'll be dealing no pressure from the wings since there are no natural wingers and thats something you people who want the likes of Pelkas and Fetfatzidis to be our starting wingers. At this level against Hungary and Finland you might not notice it but we can't beat anyone above our weight with such a line up. Players would crash with each other since all of them play more centrally.

Long story short Donis and Lazaros is the best we can provide for this position. 

Fetfatzidis can play CAM and on the wing. He is more of a winger than Pelkas and Mantalos. Also more skillful and can take on defenders better than Lazaros. Fetfatzidis is a natural winger. He can also play CAM. Do watch the matches in Europa League where Fetfatzidis was playing RW. That's how you play as a winger. 

Lazaros will soon be on the decline. So grooming Manthatis or Chatzigiovannis in the team wouldn't be a bad idea. 

Edited by Dean97

7 hours ago, georgelaz said:

I want Manthatis to play regular which is too hard to crack at Oly. Wish he was at pao/aek/paok. He would surely get game time there.

Him and Donis on the wings would bring pace that we've never had to my memory of greek football. Though pace isn't everything the fact that top teams like PSG (neymar/mpappe), Juventus (quadrado/costa), liverpool (mane/salah), man city (sane/sterling) all heavily rely on pacey wingers I think demonstrates that pace might be king in the modern game.

still  cheesed that we never called up Valentino Lazaro. He'd be the fastest greek player by far AND has technical skill. though he's far removed from greek football world and is mostly a product of Austrian system so I think most of greek football wasn't aware of him. I discovered him by accident after noticing his greek sounding name

I agree, Manthatis has talent and has the pace as well. I like the way you think by having Manthatis and Donis on the wings. Chatzigiovannis is another player who could make his way in the team...

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2154374958217101&id=1598480473806555

• Like it 1

Lol Fetfatzidis couldn't get past his opponent against Milan and destroyed like 3 Olympiakos counter attacks. I myself said he might deserved a call up considering our drought offensively but lets better not ridicule oursevles..He doesn't have the pace to play in the highest level, and again that's something you don't notice against teams of our level but against bigger opposition.

Manthatis has long, long way before being a regular NT player.

• Like it 1

He was often very good for the NT back when he was getting called up. I am excited to see him back in the squad. 

• Like it 2

5 hours ago, Boxou said:

I'd ideally want

Mitro

Donis Fortounis Fetfa

Pelkas seems more in form too and I do think he's a decent winger. He plays games there for PAOK LM often and has good games there.

I'd ideally want Lazaros when he's in form too but not a full 90. maybe 60 or as impact sub.

Same with Torosidis/Bakakis. That refreshing would make our right flank more potent. our left is youthful and talented (donis/staf) though staf has gone MIA

Fortounis, Mantalos and Pelkas are at their best when played centrally. Fetfatzidis is at his best at both positions. That's the type of talent he is. He is the best Greek player on the ball and is faster than Fortounis. If Fortounis was a faster player he would be playing somewhere in LA liga or Bundesliga by now.

• Thanks 1

We can just agree that he had the potential to be the best active Greek footballer but never came close to reach it. It's a huge misunderstanding if we keep calling him a talent in this age.

I definitively agree on Fortounis comment.

What Fortounis lacks in speed he makes up with his shot, his passing, his vision and his set piece delivery. He's our best player and at some point in the near future I'm sure he will be moving on to a bigger club in the  EPL or LA LIGA which I think would suit him best. 

• Like it 1

Meanwhile Leonardo Jardim has become available. He was sacked by Monaco right now. He took them to the semi-finals of Champions League though and he knows Greek soccer very well.

Articles from Agonasport:

http://www.agonasport.com/agonasport-allnews/skibbe-brushes-off-injury-issues-rossi-has-faith-in-hungary

Note the following sentences of Skibbe: "We want to be dominant, compete in an aggressive manner and earn the three points on the field." "I have chosen our tactics and we want to show that we’re a strong, attacking team." So we will let em much space like during away game, I guess. Why cannot we defend and counterattack for God's sake? Why giving the enemy team such an opportunity?

http://www.agonasport.com/agonasport-allnews/greece-aiming-for-revenge-after-budapest-disappointment

"The Hungarians are likely to opt for a defensive approach with an emphasis on dangerous counterattacks." Couldnt we opt for a defensive approach with an emphasis on counterattacks? That was our tactics and brand before not long ago!