Phantis Forums
Original 21

Suggested Call Ups, Starting 11

saying Donis is not a big loss is such a ridiculous statement.. he is a very important piece to this team and it’s success... you can’t judge a player only on goals man you need to look at everything else a player brings to the table.. Donis brings speed good feet and can create space..

• Like it 1

Lmaooo. You guys are thinking he’s the next Mpabbe. Tell me what he’s done in the games he has played? How many goals has he been involved in? This team lacks scoring. If you want good foot work and dribbling there’s an acrobat on every street corner that can do that for spare change. Results count. Not style points. 

• Like it 1

it's pointless to discuss with you. the other day you and some other guys said we don't need goalkeepers, we have enough of them. now you say donis and mitroglou are not a big loss. lmao. karnezis is warming the bench in napoli, while please go to see gianniotis' fault against paok on sunday as well as the goals mparkas conceded against benfica today, especially the 2nd and the 3rd one. also go to see the save vlachodimos makes 1 minute before benfica score their 3rd goal. 

or like how you people were shouting 1 month ago to skibbe in order to start bouchalakis because he was playing "lights out" lmao yet again. if you don't follow greek players/league/football in a daily basis and only come around when the NT plays, let's better don't make any more statements like these

• Like it 1

Vlachodimos is a very fine keeper imo he should be called up. Perhaps Skibbe successor will do this.

I also think (like Jimmyp) that Donis is a trifle overrated by many here.

1 hour ago, Jimmyp said:

Lmaooo. You guys are thinking he’s the next Mpabbe. Tell me what he’s done in the games he has played? How many goals has he been involved in? This team lacks scoring. If you want good foot work and dribbling there’s an acrobat on every street corner that can do that for spare change. Results count. Not style points. 

watch Bayern vs. Stuttgart Donis and you'll get a glimpse of what he's capable if he reaches his full potential.

whatever some people might think donis is our best winger by a mile and it's a total shame he will miss the upcoming games. 

• Like it 3

I’m not saying Donis doesn’t have potential guys. I’m saying it hasn’t shown anywhere yet. If he was better he would be playing for another team not Stuttgart. The goalie scored against Bayern was nice.  But if those kinds of plays come once every couple of years or so, it’s useless.  Those plays have to be made consistently. I really hope I’m proven wrong in a couple years, months, or even next week. But I don’t see it as of yet. Trust me, I hope I can come back and apologize to everyone here for being wrong. As for the keeper positions sure Vlacho will be a great addition. But right now the more pressing needs on this team is attacking. I think everyone will agree to that. And yes, unfortunately I follow Greek soccer although it’s getting to the point where houseleague u 12 might be more enjoyable to watch, I still follow it. 

It is true that we put a lot of stock in our young flashy attacking players we hope will become a star in Europe. We have had plenty over the past decade, notably Samaras, Ninis, Fetfatzidis, Vellios, even Koutsianikoulis for a short period. For one reason or another, they are in a different spotlight than say some younger domestic stars like Fortounis, Pelkas, Mantalos, who were never really expected to take the next step and shine in Europe. Now we have Donis, who was signed by Juventus and showed lots of potential out on loan, and now belongs to a pretty decent size club in the Bundesliga. He has been pretty good when given the chance at Stuttgart and has showed some brilliant flashes, but it is definitely important to manage our expectations with him. I would love to see him get some minutes with both club and country, but don't forget the kid just turned 22 a month ago, there is time. I don't think, however, that he is a slam dunk, but his ceiling, in my opinion, is higher than probably any forward playing in and around Greece. Here's hoping he stays healthy and rises to the opportunities when given. 

• Like it 1

Posted (edited)

Samaras I think had a great career. He was a vital part of our NT post euro 2004 and was an important part of Celtic when they were actually a very good team. Barca even considered getting him at a time and he almost buried that goal vs. Argentina to get us into knockouts for first time of history and was responsible for us getting into round of 16. If you look at world cup 2014 we were actually close the final if you look at how things panned out (every single team on our bracket the games ended in pks and the final in extra time)

fetfa might redeem himself and become a late bloomer.

I think fetfa is our best winger when in form. Donis has the potential to be our greatest.

Edited by georgelaz
  • Like it 1

Posted (edited)

I'm hoping over time form and injuries pending that this becomes our lineup

Mitroglou

Donis Fortounis Fetfa

Zeca Kourbelis

Staf Sok Manolas Retsos

Vlacho

Samaris maybe if he finds his form again.

I don't see this happening but in attack

Karelis 

Donis Fetfa Manthatis

that would be really cool / unpredictable / creative / and pacey

Mitroglou relies more on build up play and our NT sucks at that hence why he was so good at Benfica. Benfica is a powerhouse in portugal

Karelis is more suited for our NTs underdog status. His goal vs. egypt was a breakaway

Edited by georgelaz

On the subject of Donis, the kid has the talent and skill....that much we've seen but he needs to bring consistency and substance to his play and now (when he gets back from injury) is the time for him to do so. His team has had offers for him but refused to sell and are waiting for him to develop further. He's definitely a loss but not irreplaceable at the moment.....beides Sokratis, Manolas and Zeca no one else has been performing in a way that would make them irreplaceable. I'm more worried about Fortounis, Pelkas and Mantalos' drop in form of late. Hopefully they get it together over the next few days.

Interesting points by everyone. Donis is a special player. I agree with @AchillesHeel that Donis needs consistency and substance in his play. He is by far our best winger. Fetfatzidis as I said before needs to be in this team based on his skill and creativity. His ability to take on players as another key aspect to his game. 

Samaras could have had a better career for sure. But he did accomplish many things and was the reason we made the round of 16 for the first time in the world cup. 

I'm not looking forward to seeing Lazaros on the wing. For club he is good there but for country he can't get any rhythm going for some reason. I would play him central, maybe as a CAM or even ST. 

I do believe though our attack needs more focus, but the way Odysseus has been playing he should be capped. Karnezis I'd not trust 100%, Barkas is good but needs to develop more and Gianniotis is a confident keeper but at times can make a critical error. 

My team for the next game:

Giannioits

Bakakis Manolas Sokratis Lykogiannis

Zeca Kourbelis

Fetfatzidis Fortounis Pelkas 

Mitroglou

Although I would like to replace Mitroglou, there is no one really who can replace him yet. Karelis is an option but needs more momentum and game time time in order to get the best out of him. 

Lazaros is better off the bench in my opinion. Mantalos can come on if things don't work. 

• Like it 1

When can we expect Skibbe to name the squad? Greece play Hungary October 12.

It's always 6 or 7 days before the game that it is announced. Hopefully no Tziolis and Tzavellas. 

On 10/2/2018 at 9:42 PM, georgelaz said:

Samaras I think had a great career. He was a vital part of our NT post euro 2004 and was an important part of Celtic when they were actually a very good team. Barca even considered getting him at a time and he almost buried that goal vs. Argentina to get us into knockouts for first time of history and was responsible for us getting into round of 16. If you look at world cup 2014 we were actually close the final if you look at how things panned out (every single team on our bracket the games ended in pks and the final in extra time)

fetfa might redeem himself and become a late bloomer.

I think fetfa is our best winger when in form. Donis has the potential to be our greatest.

Yes my point is that they had varying degrees of success, but there were very high expectations for all of them and none even got close. Samaras did have a solid career at Celtic. For years he was at arm's length of being bought by a bigger club, which never really happened. He had a successful international career as well, scoring and setting up some massive goals for Greece. His career will be tainted, however, with his unceremonious fall to obscurity. It seemed as though one day he was in the CL and scoring in the World Cup, and the next he was playing semi-pro in the U.S. And this all took place in his late 20s and early 30s. He's still just 33. Perplexing. 

Paschalakis and Tsimikas called up for the first time. 
No real surprises, good to see Karelis get a recall as well, giving us a decent option off the bench if something happens to Mitro 

The 24 players called up: Καρνέζης, Μπάρκας, Πασχαλάκης, Τοροσίδης, Μπακάκης, Παπασταθόπουλος, Μανωλάς, Τζαβέλλας, Οικονόμου, Κολοβέτσιος, Γιαννούλης, Τσιμίκας, Ζέκα, Τζιόλης, Μάνταλος, Φορτούνης, Πέλκας, Κουρμπέλης, Μπουχαλάκης, Μπακασέτας, Χριστοδουλόπουλος, Μήτρογλου, Καρέλης, Κουλούρης.

https://www.sport24.gr/football/ellada/ethniki_elladas/me-pasxalakh-kai-tsimika-oi-epiloges-toy-skimpe-gia-to-nations-league.5327237.html

6 hours ago, Argy said:

Yes my point is that they had varying degrees of success, but there were very high expectations for all of them and none even got close. Samaras did have a solid career at Celtic. For years he was at arm's length of being bought by a bigger club, which never really happened. He had a successful international career as well, scoring and setting up some massive goals for Greece. His career will be tainted, however, with his unceremonious fall to obscurity. It seemed as though one day he was in the CL and scoring in the World Cup, and the next he was playing semi-pro in the U.S. And this all took place in his late 20s and early 30s. He's still just 33. Perplexing. 

Samaras suffered a long term back/hip injury from which he has never fully recovered....he was never the same after that.

Tziolis and Tzavellas....:jawdrop:

Posted (edited)

Skibbe should lose his job based on these call ups alone..: he is such a s%$#! coach... His job is on the line and this is what he comes up with...🤦‍♂️

Καρνέζης, Μπάρκας, Πασχαλάκης, Τοροσίδης, Μπακάκης, Παπασταθόπουλος, Μανωλάς, Τζαβέλλας, Οικονόμου, Κολοβέτσιος, Γιαννούλης, Τσιμίκας, Ζέκα, Τζιόλης, Μάνταλος, Φορτούνης, Πέλκας, Κουρμπέλης, Μπουχαλάκης, Μπακασέτας, Χριστοδουλόπουλος, Μήτρογλου, Καρέλης, Κουλούρης.

Edited by J1078

Vlachodimos could be on the cusp of a call-up next time around.... According to this article he has never declared who he wants to play for NT wise, and has kept his options open but wants a guarantee that'll he'll be in the top 2 choices and in the mix for a potential start. 

Article here

Vlachodimos wants to play for Germany. There's a reason he was a part of their youth setup from U15-U21. If we ever see him showing up in a Greek jersey, it'll be because DFB let him know that he's not in their plans. For all we know, he's already rebuffed the EPO and it just hasn't gotten out yet.

Tzavellas better not start, last match vs Hungary he was abysmal. I knew he would not select Fetfa. Skibbe better get à few wins or he’s got to go.

So Skibbe thinks Mpakasetas is actually more useful than Fetfatzidis at the moment? What's the point of calling up for number "10" players in the squad you douchebag? 

Why the fck this brainless chicken called up Bouchalakis and Tziolis but no Galanopoulos yet again? Why have Siovas and Vlachodimos constantly been overlooked?

Hopefully he either wins or he's out.