Phantis Forums

Suggested Call Ups, Starting 11

9 hours ago, ausgreek said:

Was at Meet thu Greek's in Brighton le Sands (in Sydney for the Canadians), the other night with Elena,. Moments before I made my move towards her thigh, I asked her which Ange was better suited to the Pirated team, as she has a keen interest in Football, I said Ange A or Ange P ? She said Ange C!! I thought who is Ange C then? She said it was Angelos Charisteas. She went a step further with, time to consider Donis or Koulouris as striker ahead of Mykonos too. I think I just scatched the surface! here!

Post of the Year

• Thanks 1

unrealistic and not concerning total form but 

mitroglou

donis fortounis v. lazaro/fetfa

tachtsidis samaris

holebas sokra mano torosidis/restos

karnezis

would've wanted to cap valentino lazaro. he's one the fastest players in the world + half greek.

tachtsidis can actually link a pass and so can Samaris (who can also put in defense work in form). these two were supposed to carry the torch after kara and kats left but they weren't able to keep their top form.

wouldn't have minded 3atb with kpaps either but would have to sacrifice a cm. we could then absorb attacks + have donis + lazaro blast up top and just feed mitro cross and fortounis balls to through ball mitro. tachtsi could also through ball to mitro

going forward we can probably achieve this with Masouras. he seems pretty fast and is not afraid to take ON TARGET shot on. we can do ZECA as ball buster and Pelkas as an 8 cuz he has tenacity in the middle to be box to box

so form pending we can do this now

mitro

donis fortounis lazaros/masouras/fetfa

zeca pelkas

koutris/tsimikas sok manolas torosidis/bakakis

odyesseas

I’m in for either Pelkas or Mantalos as the 8. I saw total football, a Greek show that talks about the league and Giorgos Donis was on it along with Basinas and Katsouranis. A subject came up and they were discussing should Mantalos play as the 8. Katsouranis and Basinas believe that he suits that role.(the 2nd DM) 

Giorgos Donis went on to say that if I coached him  he wouldn’t play him as the 8 in a 4-2-3-1 because he can’t mark. He said in a 4-3-3 he can play as the 8. It’s interesting what he said. I believe Donis should be the coach of the national team. He is very intelligent about the game. 

If we play either Pelkas or Mantalos as the 8 in a 4-2-3-1 our midfield would get over run because of the marking situation. What we are all hoping for is to have a pure CM that can mark and tackle and also control the midfield with clever passes and vision. I believe in the future Androutsos should play that role in a 4-2-3-1 as the 8. For now if we play that system Kourbelis and Galanopoulos should play behind Fortounis. 

We all know Mantalos and Pelkas won’t do it for us on the wing. Also Fortounis is better than both. The only problem with Fortounis is his pace. He is a bit too slow.

• Like it 2

Yeah he's having a bad season but he's quality. Much like Fortounis had a rough season last but he's back to his normal self. The night is still young.

Totally forgot about Gala. Is he ready though? AEK is doing terrible in league and CL.

14 hours ago, georgelaz said:

Totally forgot about Gala. Is he ready though? AEK is doing terrible in league and CL.

Although very young, he has had a fair bit of European experience including UCL so kid is def ready

• Like it 1

Villafanez would prob be a better option as he can really give Fortounis a run for his money IMO, and do a much better job than out of form Mantalos & Pelkas.

Klonaridis is pretty hot and cold guys, Fortounis is better, Klonaridis is not that good on wing but behind the striker he can score

^Dean, re: Donis I agree. Donis is indeed an astute coach, not only tactically and in his understanding of the game, players, but also in the demeanour, and psychology - possibly the best Greek football coach going round. I can see why Pao is going well.

This is a real good show.  

Ο Ντέμης σχολιάζει με Δώνη, Κατσουράνη και Μπασινά την εικόνα της ΑΕΚ με τον Παναιτωλικό ● 25.11.18 

• Like it 2

I thought Klona was a striker? Anyways I don’t think he will be massive impact in the team. I agree we need all the help and options needed. If Mantalos is going to play then play him centrally. Otherwise don’t play him at all. Zeca has been a decent inclusion to the team. Koutris has potential to lock down the LB position with Tsimikas as back up. Vlachodimos added more depth at GK. If Klona plays where do you play him? I haven’t seen much of him but I know he can score at times. Maybe play him alongside Mitroglou in a 2 upfront formation.

Also does anyone believe Galanopoulos would benefit us? What can he do going forward? He looks talented but has he got the vision and pass from midfield to put some of our players in good positions? He seems more defensive that attacking. We also are all hoping for an 8 to support Fortounis who has the ability to create aswell, instead of sitting back all the time like Kourbelis and Zeca do.

Edited by Dean97

He can be played as striker too, in fact he should get a chance over all the out of form strikers we have atm.

Galanopoulos is a good player in the centre and his passing is better than Kourmbelis and Zeca atm who are both in ordinary form atm imo. His not a creative mid to answer your question but I think he can still improve the CM position 

• Like it 1

No doubt in my mind come March Galanopoulos will be given a call-up. Whether he starts or not is a different issue but no reason he shouldn't be given a chance. 

A midfield of Galanopoulos, Zeca and Fortounis is hopefully what we'll see in Liechtenstein 

Possible middle leg and front third of the Pirates: 

Bouchalakis

Zeca

Villafanez    Klonaridis       Donis

Mykonos

Villa needs to sort out is paperwork and Klona is quick, Fortounis is slow.

1 hour ago, Dean97 said:

Maybe we should consider Klona as the CAM. Villafanez would be a good addition no doubt but I’m not a fan of playing non Greeks in the national team. Zeca is one and that is enough in my opinion. Is Villafanez more of a winger or CAM?

I couldn’t agree more! Not a fan of foreigners on the team. 

• Like it 2

43 minutes ago, Makynia said:

Zeca even sings the National Anthem while Mitroglou doesn't. That really pisses me off.

Same here. Imagine if everyone sang it like Manolas. You know how loud and good that would be. I have a feeling Klonaridis will be like Mitroglou and not sing it.

8 hours ago, AchillesHeel said:

A CAM needs to be able to dribble and pass....2 things that Klonarides isn't very adept at doing....and Villafanez is 1/4 greek....and that's greek enough for me.

He is 1/8 Greek. But the more important question. Is he even good enough?

There is a reason why he plays for Alanyaspor, a turkish team that is constantly losing and struggle to score goals.

Even Klonaridis would be just a good back-up. That's it. He barely made it anywhere.

Besides He can't even speak Greek! You'd think he speaks it after living in Greece for so many year. He even comes from AEKs youth department. Even Zeca is fluent in Greek.

Don't mind if Greeks outside Greece struggle to speak Greek. But a Greek who lives in Greece for so many years? (same goes for Calathis tbh)

Edited by LaputanMachine

1 hour ago, AchillesHeel said:

You're right but even 1/8 is good enough to be considered greek (for me).
Not that I'm advocating his being called up but what skills he has are what we lack in the midfield. He was actually having a breakout season (5 goals in 12 app.) when he was sold off to Alanyaspor during PAO's firesale.
We really don't have the luxury of a wide variety of options as far as offense goes, seeing how Fortounis and Mantalos have panned out so far for the NT.

For me too. Being 1/4, 1/8, 1/16 Greek is no issue at all. As long as you really wanna play for your country and not treat it like a "good career" choice.

But I just don't see how Villafanez will solve our problem. We have Fortounis, Pelkas, Donis, Lamprou, Limnios, Lazaros, Fetfatzidis and even Chatzigiovanis. Fortounis really isn't the problem here. That's plenty attacking options. Villafanez and Klonaridis won't add much I'm afraid. Although Klonaridis isn't worse than the ones mentioned. But he was seriously waiting for a call-up for Belgium all the years. I mean there is zero chance that will ever happen.

We lack a proper (in form) striker and a strong defensive midfield. Guys like Zeca, Bouchalakis, Koutroubis, Tziolis, etc are very limited.

It may also be time for the coach to change the system of the Ethniki. This 4-2-3-1 didn't do much for us.

Edited by LaputanMachine
  • Like it 2

koulouris is in form as hell. two goals this weekend. almost a goal a game. Not in love with him yet but his form is undeniable. The problem isn't Mitroglou though imo. Problem is cm and wings

wings = fetfa/lazaros/masouras

cm = zeca/gala/samaris(in form)

I'd like to see something like this

-----------------------Vlachodimos

---------Sokratis-------Siovas-------Manolas

Torosidis------Pelkas----Kourbelis-----Koutris

---------------Fortounis----------Donis

---------------------------Koulouris

Pelkas is a good choice as an 8. You can replace Kourbelis with Zeca if you like. And Donis can also serve as a second striker next to koulouris.

• Like it 2

• Dutch Eagle pinned, unpinned and pinned this topic