Phantis Forums

Suggested Call Ups, Starting 11

A reporter from Sport24 is reporting that Fortounis is retiring from the national team effective immediately. Not too many details but apparently Fortounis will address the issue publicly.

I dare say he wasn't called up again for these qualifiers and decided he no longer wants to be available to play for the NT. I am just guessing though, so who knows. 

https://www.sport24.gr/football/telos-o-fortoynis-apo-tin-ethniki-omada.10164092.html 

EDIT: Fortounis has confirmed via a post on his Instagram that he is stepping down from the Ethniki. Saying he wants to focus on his club football and wishing the NT all the best for the future. 

https://www.sport24.gr/football/fortoynis-gia-tin-apochorisi-vomva-apo-tin-ethniki-thelo-na-afosiotho-stin-omada-elpizo-i-apofasi-na-ginei-sevasti-apo-oloys.10164128.html

Edited by paokarag4

Fortounis did this IMO because he didn't get called up against the Ireland and France matches. I believe reports came out he was disappointed not to get selected for those matches so he went from being disappointed to not wanting to be part of the NT in the span of two months? Anyways sucks but it is what it is...

Here are the call ups:

Βλαχοδήμος,  Πασχαλάκης,  Αθανασιάδης,  Γιαννούλης,  Τσιμίκας,  Μπάλντοκ,  Ρότα,  Τζαβέλλας, Χατζηδιάκος, Κουλιεράκης,  Μαυροπάνος,  Ρέτσος,  Κουρμπέλης,  Μάνταλος,  Σιώπης,  Μπουχαλάκης,  Παπανικολάου, Μπακασέτας, Χατζηγιοβάνης,  Λημνιός,  Μασούρας,  Πέλκας, Φούντας, Ιωαννίδης,  Γιακουμάκης, Παυλίδης.

• Like it 2

I am a fan of Poyet and what he's doing with the Ethniki, but there are 3-4 of these call-ups that are puzzling. Bouchalakis and Limnios have not played one minute of football in the first month of the season, yet they are un-droppable. While Alexandropoulos and Konstantelias are not called-up.

Tzavellas he wants for experience(dressing room etc), but seems like he's played one out of three for a newly promoted side in Turkey, not exactly inspiring form.

Poyet is trying to do what Otto and Santos did before him, have a 'club' like feel to the NT where it's the same core of players that are called-up. While that has some merit it can also lead to disharmony amongst players/coaches/fans. 

Ultimately if we get results people will forget about these decisions, but if you add the layer of Fortounis stepping away the media and football public are starting to slowly starting to turn on Poyet. The atmosphere around the team had been so positive because of great results, hopefully this doesn't throw too much of a spanner into the works and the team can keep chugging along. 

You can guarantee if we come out of the 2 games next week with 4 points, everyone will be singing his praises. Let's see what happens. 

• Like it 3

On 9/1/2023 at 11:31 PM, paokarag4 said:

I am a fan of Poyet and what he's doing with the Ethniki, but there are 3-4 of these call-ups that are puzzling. Bouchalakis and Limnios have not played one minute of football in the first month of the season, yet they are un-droppable. While Alexandropoulos and Konstantelias are not called-up.

Tzavellas he wants for experience(dressing room etc), but seems like he's played one out of three for a newly promoted side in Turkey, not exactly inspiring form.

Poyet is trying to do what Otto and Santos did before him, have a 'club' like feel to the NT where it's the same core of players that are called-up. While that has some merit it can also lead to disharmony amongst players/coaches/fans. 

Ultimately if we get results people will forget about these decisions, but if you add the layer of Fortounis stepping away the media and football public are starting to slowly starting to turn on Poyet. The atmosphere around the team had been so positive because of great results, hopefully this doesn't throw too much of a spanner into the works and the team can keep chugging along. 

You can guarantee if we come out of the 2 games next week with 4 points, everyone will be singing his praises. Let's see what happens. 

Good points. Poyet has turned the NT fortunes around. It’s a shame Fortounis retired from international duty. I was thinking he would be on the team this go around. Always said he was such a top class footballer. Anyways if we get 4pts it will be a success. 

• Like it 1

• 1 month later...

I thought maybe they were good enough without but honestly I don't think so, the NT needs to get Fortounis back in now in time for the playoffs he is looking good.  There is no one on the team with his skill level in that position.  We keep leaning on average guys like Mantalos and Kourbelis etc.  Midfield is not threatening and not providing forwards the best service. 

Greece can get in but will struggle to get results if what we seen against Holland and France is proof.  They are in the game but can't sniff a goal and ultimately lose. 

• Like it 2

• 3 weeks later...
22 hours ago, J1078 said:

Is anyone else noticing Fortounis on fire?? What a shame he’s not on the team.. I think Poyet made a huge mistake keeping him off the team which clearly upset him.. 

I have said it. Poyet or the EPO need to go beg him to come back for the playoffs! 

Fortounis was asked the other day post the game v Asteras if he'd consider a return to the NT. He said that his time with the Ethniki is over and he won't be back. IMO the only thing that may sway him is if we qualify for the Euros and he and Poyet break bread.

Even then, it is dependent on Poyet asking for him to return. It seems very very unlikely. And if you take Fortounis at face value, it is 0% chance of happening. 

Fortounis retired from the Ethniki. This reminds me all over again, about the potential returns of Sokratis, Manolas, Siovas & some creative mids a number of years ago. Like the words in that movie Frozen say, 'let it go.' This is now a new era. Bring on the likes of Konstantelias & Alexandropoulos.

Edited by ausgreek
  • Like it 3

• 3 months later...