Phantis Forums

Suggested Call Ups, Starting 11

JVS got rid of the complacency such as Sokratis, Manolas, Torosidis, Mitroglou and Samaris. And he has included young, hungry players who have a point to prove and everyone is on notice. You must fight for your teammates, the shirt, fans, and your country and this is the way it will be going forward. The players I mentioned above have been automatic starters for the last 5 years and haven’t gotten us anywhere. We played our best football without them the last 2 games and that should speak volumes. We look more organised at the back and play at a higher tempo. Which is refreshing to see. I applaud JVS so far for what he has done and I hope this continues.

• Like it 2

Yeah it’s hard to believe that Sokratis said that. I don’t think he is a bit of a pest and whinges a lot. He does care for the national team, that I believe. But I think he is negative in the way he explains things. I do appreciate him talking striefht and being to the point and also saying it as it is. There are many that believe Sokratis and Manolas “stopped playing” after the 2014 World Cup. They new they were going to be locks going forward in the starting line up and became less motivated and therefore they became complacent. Samaris and Mitroglou the same. As i said JVS has gotten rid of the complacency and has Instilled competition for places. 

Edited by Dean97
  • Like it 2

Regardless if the reports are true or not Skratis, Manolas and Mitro have had this team drop to an all time low so as they need to clean house and get rid of them. The have done absolutely nothing for this team since 2014. We have been blaming the coaches but the truth is I think these 3 are the main reason and that's why we have seen the same results with every coach we've tried. Finally we got a coach that recognized the main issue and had the guts to make an unpopular decision and not call them up. I'm not saying they are bad players but I do believe they carry a negative vibe and if they don't agree with something the coach says or does it effects there play.  I'm more excited  now seeing what we have in young hungry players that want to make an impression and play with pride.

• Like it 2

5 hours ago, J1078 said:

Regardless if the reports are true or not Skratis, Manolas and Mitro have had this team drop to an all time low so as they need to clean house and get rid of them. The have done absolutely nothing for this team since 2014. We have been blaming the coaches but the truth is I think these 3 are the main reason and that's why we have seen the same results with every coach we've tried. Finally we got a coach that recognized the main issue and had the guts to make an unpopular decision and not call them up. I'm not saying they are bad players but I do believe they carry a negative vibe and if they don't agree with something the coach says or does it effects there play.  I'm more excited  now seeing what we have in young hungry players that want to make an impression and play with pride.

Sokratis let his game slip due to his on going dispute with Ange. This cost Greece three points at home vs Armenia where we conceeded three goals. Losing those three points was a huge blow and add on the lost points to Liechtenstein were manolas got beat on the goal. That's 5 points gone and had we got those wins we would be right in the thick of things with Finland for qualification. 

• Like it 1

Starting 11

Βλαχοδήμος, Μπακάκης, Χατζηδιάκος, Σταφυλίδης, Γιαννούλης, Κουρμπέλης, Γαλανόπουλος, Λημνιός, Μάνταλος, Μπακασέτας, Παυλίδης.

I was really hoping to see Fetfa start especially after coming on and making a big difference against Bosnia also would have liked to see Donis start for once.

On 11/15/2019 at 5:27 PM, ausgreek said:

Masouras has got a problem with composure in front of goal. Has missed sitters afew times now. Vrousai should come back in.

Exactly, looks like he has confidence issue which is a shame as when he is in form I think he is one of our best players. 

Despina is a good judge, claiming the team going forward in 2020 in an attacking formation 3 4 2 1:

Pavlidis

Mantalos              Bakasetas              

Giannoulis            Kourbelis            Galanopoulos             Limnios

Stafylidis (c)        Hatzidiakos           Bakakis

Vlahodiimos 

Koulouris . Fortounis   Fetfa    Donis .  etc.

Not bad line up. We actually have a good amount of speed. Giannoulis, Limnios and Donis are the fastest. Even Galanopoulos and Kourbelis have got some speed. I’d like to see Mantalos in a 4-2-3-1 as the CAM. I don’t think we have ever seen Mantalos as a 10 for Greece. We always see him out wide. 

I was thinking what’s going to happen with Vasiliadis because he hasn’t been capped yet and Germany can cap him at anytime and be part of their team. I guess it’s up to the individual and I think Vasiliadis is committed to Greece. 

It’s kind of a let down that we won’t see the team play until March or probably next September as I want to see the team in action all the time. It will be interesting what JVS sets up in March and who he plays. I have a list of players that he could look at:

RB/LB: Natsos, Masouras, Lykogiannis, Kyriakopoulos

CB: Nikolaou, Risvanis, Retsos

CDM/CM/CAM: Androutsos, Charisis, Vasiliadis...

RW/LW: Lamrpou, Chatzigiovannis, Gianniotas..

ST: Kampetsis, Manos, Emmanoulidis

JVS (vhs) is a fan of a RB named George Baldock 26 years, plays for Sheffield Utd, who are playing great football atm. Greek heritage through his grandfather. He might be a shot ahead of Masouras as RB. Like to see Bouzoukis get a call as well Deanos..

Looking at the kind of talent pool around for Greece, how were we all hypnotised into thinking that we can't attack, except on the counter and have 10 players parking the bus? 

Edited by ausgreek

• 2 months later...

According to this article JVS is considering calling up 7 "new" player for the friendlies in March. Pouggouras, Mavropanos, Kyriakopoulos and Lampropoulos (not exactly new) These 4 he's considering as Center backs, even though we know Kyriakopoulos as a left back it seems JVS really wants a left footed CB and thinks he can shift him into the center of defense similar to how he's done with Stafylidis. 

He's also considering Marinakis (OFI) as cover for right back, as well as Tsilianidis and Xatzigiovanis to play on the wings. 

https://www.sport24.gr/football/ellada/ethniki_elladas/ethnikh-elladas-oi-7-neoi-poy-vlepei-o-fan-sip.5678894.html

• Like it 1

I have been very impressed with Chatzigiovanis, I think with him and Limnios on either wing we could be even more dangerous than in the last four games but let's see.

I'm not sold on Pouggouras and we are stacked at LB but dont mind seen someone else at CB rather than Stafylidis who is a bench player in Germany.

Marinakis could be ok at RB, worth a shot

• Like it 1

On 2/7/2020 at 8:20 AM, Alphonse said:

I have been very impressed with Chatzigiovanis, I think with him and Limnios on either wing we could be even more dangerous than in the last four games but let's see.

I'm not sold on Pouggouras and we are stacked at LB but dont mind seen someone else at CB rather than Stafylidis who is a bench player in Germany.

Marinakis could be ok at RB, worth a shot

Well, if we are going to be more dangerous with Chatzigiovannis on the left, does that mean Mantalos should go in the middle at CAM? I wouldn’t mind that.

Im surprised Kitsiou hasn’t been talked about as he has been playing well lately.

On 2/7/2020 at 12:10 AM, paokarag4 said:

According to this article JVS is considering calling up 7 "new" player for the friendlies in March. Pouggouras, Mavropanos, Kyriakopoulos and Lampropoulos (not exactly new) These 4 he's considering as Center backs, even though we know Kyriakopoulos as a left back it seems JVS really wants a left footed CB and thinks he can shift him into the center of defense similar to how he's done with Stafylidis. 

He's also considering Marinakis (OFI) as cover for right back, as well as Tsilianidis and Xatzigiovanis to play on the wings. 

https://www.sport24.gr/football/ellada/ethniki_elladas/ethnikh-elladas-oi-7-neoi-poy-vlepei-o-fan-sip.5678894.html

I’m surprised Nikolaou is not on JVS list. He is left footed and a CB. Maybe he is needed for the u21s.

Kyriakopoulos could do well there. He’s got the height for it aswell, unlike Stafylidis.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/8/2020 at 7:59 AM, Dean97 said:

I’m surprised Nikolaou is not on JVS list. He is left footed and a CB. Maybe he is needed for the u21s.

Kyriakopoulos could do well there. He’s got the height for it aswell, unlike Stafylidis.

None of these players have the calibre of our usual Defenders.

I don't know why he is trying alchemy in the only line that we have obvious talent.

Make big talks with Sokratis Manolas Siovas for their return. Like real big talk. 

Integrate Retsos, Hatzidiakos, Mavropanos (Dude is like the fly in the milk pou leme kiolas in 2. Bundesliga).

Leftback with Stafylidis (also can be used as CB also I'd rather not) Tsimikas and Giannoulis/Koutris we are fine.

Right back is a question with Retsos being the #1 option in my opinion. Bakakis because we literally have noone else.

Midfielders like Kourbelis , Siopis should be obvious starters with their appearances. Sebastian Vasiliadis is a question but according to Germans he was one of the main reasons Paderborn promoted to 1. Bundesliga. Might be nice to see if he ends up somewhere better this summer when they demote.  Slowly reestablish Zeka who doesn't have much time left with this NT. I am okay with Galanopoulos but I really think Siopis plays in a quite harder league and doing amazing appearances, so I'd rather have him despite him not being much of a help in transition. Rotation with Bouchalakis seems necessary.

Fortounis our only trully decent 10. Wingers like Limnios , Donis, Masouras, Chatzigiovanis, Lamprou are alright. Bakasetas is a waste at the wings. Either play him CF (where he is also a waste) or Second Striker/AttackingMidf. 

Pavlidis has shown the best results in the striker position but trully we are way too poor in that position. I can't be 100% hopefull for this lad yet. Another player who seems to be scoring me to tsouvali is exAEK player Taxiarchis Fountas. Koulouris should also be included because I haven't lost hope to that guy yet.

Vlachodimos, Dioudis, and some other goalie.

There we are. The only players who have trully shown something over the years.

37 minutes ago, Rockafeller Skank said:

Sokratis is the reason Olympiakos qualified. He was marking El Arabi with his eyes.

Lmao. I was gonna say the same thing. Please don’t call him up. 

On 3/2/2020 at 12:23 AM, Rockafeller Skank said:

None of these players have the calibre of our usual Defenders.

I don't know why he is trying alchemy in the only line that we have obvious talent.

Make big talks with Sokratis Manolas Siovas for their return. Like real big talk. 

Integrate Retsos, Hatzidiakos, Mavropanos (Dude is like the fly in the milk pou leme kiolas in 2. Bundesliga).

Leftback with Stafylidis (also can be used as CB also I'd rather not) Tsimikas and Giannoulis/Koutris we are fine.

Right back is a question with Retsos being the #1 option in my opinion. Bakakis because we literally have noone else.

Midfielders like Kourbelis , Siopis should be obvious starters with their appearances. Sebastian Vasiliadis is a question but according to Germans he was one of the main reasons Paderborn promoted to 1. Bundesliga. Might be nice to see if he ends up somewhere better this summer when they demote.  Slowly reestablish Zeka who doesn't have much time left with this NT. I am okay with Galanopoulos but I really think Siopis plays in a quite harder league and doing amazing appearances, so I'd rather have him despite him not being much of a help in transition. Rotation with Bouchalakis seems necessary.

Fortounis our only trully decent 10. Wingers like Limnios , Donis, Masouras, Chatzigiovanis, Lamprou are alright. Bakasetas is a waste at the wings. Either play him CF (where he is also a waste) or Second Striker/AttackingMidf. 

Pavlidis has shown the best results in the striker position but trully we are way too poor in that position. I can't be 100% hopefull for this lad yet. Another player who seems to be scoring me to tsouvali is exAEK player Taxiarchis Fountas. Koulouris should also be included because I haven't lost hope to that guy yet.

Vlachodimos, Dioudis, and some other goalie.

There we are. The only players who have trully shown something over the years.

I agree with what your saying. Hatzidiakos to me has earned a spot in this team. I see too many positives with this guy and will get even better. 

I can’t see how Stafylidis fits in this team. We are stacked at LB with Tsimikas and Giannoulis having great seasons respectively. Koutris is another solid option but unfortunately is injured for 6 months... I’d go with either Tsimikas or Giannoulis. At CB we have too much talent there as we have mentioned.

The only option available for Stafylidis in my opinion is if we play him at CDM. Has got a great shot, decent passer and can be aggressive when needed. I don’t think he will play there though. It confuses me how he has been chosen as captain as we have plenty of other players who are better than him. I don’t mind him as a player I think he can offer some good things like I mentioned, but I don’t think he should take someone’s spot, especially at CB and LB. 

Siopis has something to offer in midfield. But with Galanopoulos and Vasiliadis at our disposal I don’t think it’s a good idea to have 3 CMs who are 5ft7. I don’t know I have this thing where you need at least someone who is tall enough to win headers in midfield and someone who can wi those battles and not leave it all to the CBs. All 3 are not that much different. I want to see more of Vasiliadis play. At the same time I don’t think Bouchalakis and Kourbelis are the answer. 

Donis is great on the wing and at striker. I believe we are lucky to have a player like him. By far our fastest player. We’ve got heaps of wide options but we fail to use them. Limnios has been fantastic for us. I know Mantalos is important to have and he is but can’t we try him in his natural position at CAM... Bakasetas has done better in his last few games, but that’s because you can’t put him anywhere else. Fortounis needs to continue where he left off. 

Then we have players like Fetfatzidis and Lamprou who offer plenty of speed and skill with the ball. More so than who we’ve been playing in my opinion. They are lacking in defending which is the reason why I think they haven’t been fully trusted. I say give these 2 proper chances for Greece and you won’t be disappointed. 

Other players like Pelkas, Samaris, Mitroglou and Tachtsidis need to do better with there clubs before they can be reconsidered in the team. 

Also Pavlidis is a great player. Give him time and you’ll see what he’s about. Koulouris is alright. Not the biggest fan but I will give him more time. Fountas is on fire lately he should be called up. 

Edited by Dean97

I agree with these points. The one thing I’d like to point out is that Stafylidis may not be great at the cb position, the team has been playing much better with him as the leader. That to me says a lot. Maybe he’s a passionate locker room guy that the guys listen to. Who knows? We’re not in the locker room. But I’m pretty sure he has been chosen because he’s got leadership abilities. Which in my opinion is a great thing to have. 

12 hours ago, Jimmyp said:

I agree with these points. The one thing I’d like to point out is that Stafylidis may not be great at the cb position, the team has been playing much better with him as the leader. That to me says a lot. Maybe he’s a passionate locker room guy that the guys listen to. Who knows? We’re not in the locker room. But I’m pretty sure he has been chosen because he’s got leadership abilities. Which in my opinion is a great thing to have. 

I agree with what your saying. He hasn’t been playing bad either. He does seem like a good leader. The team needs good leaders and he could be one of them. I just don’t know if he should be taking someone else’s spot just because he is a good leader. Clearly JVS knows what he’s doing and I trust his judgement.

• Dutch Eagle pinned, unpinned and pinned this topic